Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Record Breaking / Abnormal Weather Events Globally

Message added by Blessed Weather,

This thread is for discussing record breaking and abnormal weather events around the globe. If you wish to discuss climate change please head over to the Climate Change area rather than taking this thread off-topic. Thanks.

Posted

BBC running as a headline on the fire in Hawaii not a mention on the amazing rainfall that's being seen, hurricane totals without a hurricane, some places three times the normal amount and rates of 10" of rain in 6 hours? Media is all focused on heat and nothing else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hmm:

_130666504_floodinginzhuozhouhebeiprovin
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The flooding has devastated homes and submerged entire districts and farmlands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

surprised no one has posted stuff about florida with their heat alerts and my dad said to me yesterday that it was 93F at 4am 2 nights ago

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

These EXTREME+ABNORMAL conditions are continuously occurring in high rates through Europe also...

If this doesn't warrant a 😲🥴😳 reaction nothing will 

66448750_6.jpg
WWW.DW.COM

Around 250 workers took several hours to clear up to 30 centimeters of ice following the surprise hailstorm in the southwestern German city of...

There have been a number of record rains and floods

Beginning with Slovenia 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted

• Like 2

Posted

Talk about bias... BBC again.. Zilch about the rainfall despite the headline perhaps indicating a look at all weather events... Article goes onto just focus on wildfires 🙄

Hawaii wildfires follow extreme weather events worldwide

The wildfires in Hawaii follow other extreme weather events worldwide in recent months.

The University of Hawaii has said large fires break out almost annually in some parts of the Hawaiian islands, but that the scale of the current fires is unusual.

Experts say many of the wildfires around the world are linked to human-induced climate change that is exacerbated by the continued use of fossil fuels. Some regions - such as the western US - have seen an increase in the area burnt by wildfires in recent decades.

Here are other devastating wildfires over the past year:

Greece - at least seven people died in hundreds of fires across the mainland and the Greek islands

Spain and Portugal - thousands of people have been displaced in wildfires that are currently raging. In July, Spanish authorities said that at least 300 people had died from excess heat

Algeria, Tunisia - at least 34 people were killed in Algeria due to wildfires that spread across north Africa

Canada - more than 25,000 acres (100 sq km) burned in what was Canada's worst wildfire season, and remembered by dramatic images of smoke covering New York city

Chile - more than 20 people dead, at least 1,100,000 acres (4451 sq km) burned following the worst drought in a thousand years

Kazakhstan - at least 14 people dead, around 150,000 acres (607 sq km) burned

Source:BBC Live Newsfeed

• Like 4

Posted

Continuation of EXTREME events for European countries 

AUSTRIA

Screenshot-20230814-171627.jpg

FRANCE

Screenshot-20230814-172414.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Meanwhile, on the other side of the jet....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Screenshot-20230815-173454-X.jpg

ITALY 

New cold records included 

Screenshot-20230815-173649-X.jpg

90 + year low temperature record 

Screenshot-20230815-174236-X.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 11/08/2023 at 22:32, SnowBear said:

Talk about bias... BBC again.. Zilch about the rainfall despite the headline perhaps indicating a look at all weather events... Article goes onto just focus on wildfires 🙄

Hawaii wildfires follow extreme weather events worldwide

The wildfires in Hawaii follow other extreme weather events worldwide in recent months.

The University of Hawaii has said large fires break out almost annually in some parts of the Hawaiian islands, but that the scale of the current fires is unusual.

Experts say many of the wildfires around the world are linked to human-induced climate change that is exacerbated by the continued use of fossil fuels. Some regions - such as the western US - have seen an increase in the area burnt by wildfires in recent decades.

Here are other devastating wildfires over the past year:

Greece - at least seven people died in hundreds of fires across the mainland and the Greek islands

Spain and Portugal - thousands of people have been displaced in wildfires that are currently raging. In July, Spanish authorities said that at least 300 people had died from excess heat

Algeria, Tunisia - at least 34 people were killed in Algeria due to wildfires that spread across north Africa

Canada - more than 25,000 acres (100 sq km) burned in what was Canada's worst wildfire season, and remembered by dramatic images of smoke covering New York city

Chile - more than 20 people dead, at least 1,100,000 acres (4451 sq km) burned following the worst drought in a thousand years

Kazakhstan - at least 14 people dead, around 150,000 acres (607 sq km) burned

Source:BBC Live Newsfeed

The BBC have convinced themselves that they are not biased, but sadly, a great deal of their output appears to lean heavily towards tabloid reporting such as this, where they omit the facts which don't suit the sensational reporting style. They also over represent more extreme woke and left wing views, and often omit views which are the opposite to this, as they seem to think they are too extreme, but don't consider the extreme left to be extreme. To my mind, this indicates they have lost their ability to judge where the centre ground is, and sadly I've had to abandon them as a source of information, because I don't trust their ability to give balanced and representative accounts of events. 

• Like 4

Posted

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

New minimum pressure record set in Oslo

Screenshot-20230816-165713.jpg

Not sure how many red warnings get issued annually in Scandi though the setup definitely warranted such warnings 

Bonkers 😳😳

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
On 15/08/2023 at 20:20, richie3846 said:

The BBC have convinced themselves that they are not biased, but sadly, a great deal of their output appears to lean heavily towards tabloid reporting such as this, where they omit the facts which don't suit the sensational reporting style. They also over represent more extreme woke and left wing views, and often omit views which are the opposite to this, as they seem to think they are too extreme, but don't consider the extreme left to be extreme. To my mind, this indicates they have lost their ability to judge where the centre ground is, and sadly I've had to abandon them as a source of information, because I don't trust their ability to give balanced and representative accounts of events. 

It's not just the bbc, it's all msm.

If it wasn't for Kirkcaldy weather in here I'd never know that there are always places setting new cold records!

A few weeks ago the record heat in Sardinia was all over the news. Until I read Kircaldy's Tuesday report I'd never have known there was some record cold!

Makes you wonder why it only seems to go one way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

If it wasn't for Kirkcaldy weather in here I'd never know that there are always places setting new cold records!

A few weeks ago the record heat in Sardinia was all over the news. Until I read Kircaldy's Tuesday report I'd never have known there was some record cold!

It doesn't take much of a stretch of imagination to consider what impact this bias has, on climate change thinking and policy. This worries me a lot more than the actual climate change itself. 

Each person's perception of reality, is not actual reality, but a conglomeration of all the information they have taken in, and where their attention has been led. 

Our version of the truth.

So it's inevitable that policymakers are influenced by this ongoing bias, and in my view, is distorting our path forward with a changing climate. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

It doesn't go one way though the anomalies of cold everywhere are also climate change. Systems just got stuck so either held cold or warm in one place for ages. Hence all the anomalies this year. If you look back, it actually not normal for so many records, hot or cold to go in one summer. I'm afraid people are arguing over the same side of the coin. Climate change is what we are talking about, and the speed it's happening. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

So that's where our summer is, typical lol. On a serious note, whatbon earth is going on down there. Also how can people ignore this and say climate change isn't a thing 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

It doesn't go one way though the anomalies of cold everywhere are also climate change. Systems just got stuck so either held cold or warm in one place for ages. Hence all the anomalies this year. If you look back, it actually not normal for so many records, hot or cold to go in one summer. I'm afraid people are arguing over the same side of the coin. Climate change is what we are talking about, and the speed it's happening. 

Explain how co2 is holding those patterns then I might belive your climate change claim as th cause

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, jonboy said:

Explain how co2 is holding those patterns then I might belive your climate change claim as th cause

Res ipsa loquitor? 🤔

Posted
2 hours ago, richie3846 said:

It doesn't take much of a stretch of imagination to consider what impact this bias has, on climate change thinking and policy. This worries me a lot more than the actual climate change itself. 

Each person's perception of reality, is not actual reality, but a conglomeration of all the information they have taken in, and where their attention has been led. 

Our version of the truth.

So it's inevitable that policymakers are influenced by this ongoing bias, and in my view, is distorting our path forward with a changing climate. 

The simple fact is that many more warm records are being broken than cold, so they are more likely to be reported.

Not to mention places reaching 45 or 50C or having a heat index of 81C are much more dangerous. If it drops one night to 14C in Sardinia it's not exactly newsworthy is it?

And as soon as you mention "left-leaning" or "woke" as above you lose all credibility I'm afraid.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It was slightly chilly when I left the house this morning. Where's the news article on that?!

Posted
13 minutes ago, reef said:

The simple fact is that many more warm records are being broken than cold, so they are more likely to be reported.

Not to mention places reaching 45 or 50C or having a heat index of 81C are much more dangerous. If it drops one night to 14C in Sardinia it's not exactly newsworthy is it?

And as soon as you mention "left-leaning" or "woke" as above you lose all credibility I'm afraid.

Lose credibility in your opinion. This is dangerous talk in my opinion, where you state that someone loses credibility because they have a different view to yourself. This is the basis of the very dangerous cancel culture that has become popular. 

Have a good day.

• Like 4