Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First 30°C in the UK - 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

29.1C Frittenden, Kent as of midday, maybe in the next hour or 2 we get that 30.

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
31 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

29.1C Frittenden, Kent as of midday, maybe in the next hour or 2 we get that 30.

Could contain:

Already broken it at Heathrow and Northolt, temps higher than most models bar the UKV

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
8 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Already broken it at Heathrow and Northolt, temps higher than most models bar the UKV

Earliest date to reach it since 2012 as well, wonder what that could mean for the rest of summer if things continue to stay quite dry. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Earliest date to reach it since 2012 as well, wonder what that could mean for the rest of summer if things continue to stay quite dry. 

Seems to me 30c in this country used to occur after a run of mid to high 20s.  But last few years the wind turns S to SE and it’s 30+ straight away in SE, S Central and East Anglia. 

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, Maz said:

Seems to me 30c in this country used to occur after a run of mid to high 20s.  But last few years the wind turns S to SE and it’s 30+ straight away in SE, S Central and East Anglia. 

Its definitely more frequent these days and easier to achieve. Here, further north and close to the coast it didn't hit 30C for almost 17 years between 2001 and 2018. Indeed, it had only ever hit it 4 times from 1980-2017. Fast forward five years and we've hit it seven times between 2018 and 2023 and on three out of four years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

I think as it's been so dry too and far from cold in most places, that must help to quicken the heater up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

This setup is already over performing, I don't think any Forecast had Scotland bordering 30C 😳🤯

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Perhaps we ought to have the first 40C thread.  Still going up at 2C per hour according to Cumulusmx software and we are at 29.4C right now.  The previous warmest day was 24.3C on the 27th of May. This month 20.7C so a huge jump.

Edited by The PIT
  • Thanks 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

This setup is already over performing, I don't think any Forecast had Scotland bordering 30C 😳🤯

Foehn effect with SE’ly coming off the Southern Uplands.  That is impressively hot though (as was west Wales with an Easterly foehn yesterday).  

Cheshire/Merseyside also close to 30c now winds switched to SE giving a good foehn effect.

Just plain hot in SE England, with a little bit of urban heat island impact to give the highest temperatures.

Notably hot day widely for early June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Not that I'm waiting for it, but the wait goes on for the first year with no 30C reached at all since 1993

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Meanwhile Edinburgh Airport recorded a max of 16C today, currently 14C..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Got to 27 deg here today,a little bit of a shock as it is i think only the second day this year above 20 deg,the other being 22 deg a couple of weeks back.

Posted

Must say I didn't anticipate 30 degrees from today, nevermind 32 degrees. It doesn't seem to have taken much to hit such heights.

If we can achieve 32 degrees under what I don't believe is especially warm air, who knows where we will go this summer. Perhaps the dry ground and air for weeks has helped. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Must say I didn't anticipate 30 degrees from today, nevermind 32 degrees. It doesn't seem to have taken much to hit such heights.

If we can achieve 32 degrees under what I don't believe is especially warm air, who knows where we will go this summer. Perhaps the dry ground and air for weeks has helped. 

It almost takes nothing to hit those sorts of heights these days and I don't believe last year's temperature record will last very long either!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers
42 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

The soil moisture has defo helped imo, widely under 20% across the country. I'm with you though i've been very unsure what the max temp this year will be, seen some on twitter suggesting around 39°C

Screenshot2023-06-10234716.thumb.png.5fef1e288f6d694c8785011037dcdc1d.png

Edited by WeatherArc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Maz said:

It's also reached much more easily and more often away from the SE now as well.

30C wasn't always an annual thing in NW England but it's smashed every year on multiple occasions now. Blackpool reached 30C yesterday I believe.

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Not that I'm waiting for it, but the wait goes on for the first year with no 30C reached at all since 1993

Not surprising- I can't see how that will ever happen again short of a severe volcanic eruption happening and cooling the climate.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Did we hit 30C yesterday and today.

Posted
13 minutes ago, SakuraOwl said:

A repeat of last year's 40+ C is not what we need right now... I know many people that will not be happy if this HEATWAVE becomes 40+ again...

While possible, it's worth noting that our -NAO period saw a lot of heat removed and high soil moisture. In so far as Spain and Italy can advect heat quickly, things are not quite as ideal as last year in that regard. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 10/06/2023 at 13:25, Metwatch said:

And it looks like 30 degrees wasn't reached in 2012 until July so really we're looking back to 2005 for a pre June 10th date. 2006 was just a tad late with the 12th.

• Insightful 1

Posted

2011 opened with 34C on i think the 4th. That was as good as summer 2011 got for heat lovers.