Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early June heatwaves

mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

After a Spring without an early warm/hot spell, this current heatwave has took us a bit by surprise, as its been hotter and longer than anticipated.

Today is the 7th successive days of 25c+ being reached, indeed 4 days have topped 30c, and 3 daily temperature records have been broken including the June 13th enigma..

But how common are such spells in early June?.. i dont know where to find the data, but when was the last time we had 7 consecutive days of 25c+ or 4 of 30c+ in the first half of June?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Early June heatwaves  have been 1940,1947,1950,1970,1976,1992,1996 and 2006.The hottest spells at the start being both 1940 and 1947,the latter recoeding 5 consecutive days above 30 deg[albeit inc the last 2 days in May] with an extraordinary 34.4 deg on the 3rd June.

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Early June heatwaves  have been 1940,1947,1950,1970,1976,1992,1996 and 2006.The hottest spells at the start being both 1940 and 1947,the latter recoeding 5 consecutive days above 30 deg[albeit inc the last 2 days in May] with an extraordinary 34.4 deg on the 3rd June.

thanks.. i can "see" 1947 as several daily records are still standing. i remember 70 and 76, no 75?.. have you any idea where any data is?

Posted
12 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Most of those years you mention were nothing to write home about early in the month. 1996 wasn't anything compared to this in terms of consistently high temps. 1976 wasn't hot at all early on.

Posted
14 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

thanks.. i can "see" 1947 as several daily records are still standing. i remember 70 and 76, no 75?.. have you any idea where any data is?

You can look locally at the temps for the 70s on Tutiempo.com. I can tell you that I can't find a spell as consistently hot as this in the first half of the month going back to 1973 (at Manchester Airport anyway).

It's hard to recall anything properly hot lasting a week or longer at all in the first half of June.

Here is the link for Manchester Airport- I'm sure you can find other stations more local to you too:

ttf.png
EN.TUTIEMPO.NET

Climate Manchester Airport - Climate data (33340)

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted

Early June 1933

Edgbaston

4th: 77F  5th: 82F 6th: 83F 7th: 82F 8th: 83F  9th: 81F

Coincided with the Whitsun holiday

London has 6 days into the 80Fs and 108hrs of sunshine by the 8th of June 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Most of those years you mention were nothing to write home about early in the month. 1996 wasn't anything compared to this in terms of consistently high temps. 1976 wasn't hot at all early on.

I was listing some very warm or hot spells however you categorise those,i was not saying that any of them were equivalent or hotter than we have just had,i do not have the data.

Posted
23 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Just what i had desyphered off 'Britweather' and 'Torro'

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I was listing some very warm or hot spells however you categorise those,i was not saying that any of them were equivalent or hotter than we have just had,i do not have the data.

Have a look at the link I posted in reply to Mushy for Manchester Airport- gives you a good idea of how few really hot spells there have been in the first half of June.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Early June 1933

Edgbaston

4th: 77F  5th: 82F 6th: 83F 7th: 82F 8th: 83F  9th: 81F

Coincided with the Whitsun holiday

London has 6 days into the 80Fs and 108hrs of sunshine by the 8th of June 

WT3Nspj.jpg

6th June 1933

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

You can look locally at the temps for the 70s on Tutiempo.com. I can tell you that I can't find a spell as consistently hot as this in the first half of the month going back to 1973 (at Manchester Airport anyway).

It's hard to recall anything properly hot lasting a week or longer at all in the first half of June.

Here is the link for Manchester Airport- I'm sure you can find other stations more local to you too:

ttf.png
EN.TUTIEMPO.NET

Climate Manchester Airport - Climate data (33340)

Manchester

31st May: 85°F

1st Jun: 81°F

2nd Jun 88°F

3rd Jun: 84°F

4th Jun: 74°F

June 1933

3rd: 80°F

4th: 84°F

5th: 85°F

6th: 86°F

7th: 85°F

8th: 77°F

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester

31st May: 85°F

1st Jun: 81°F

2nd Jun 88°F

3rd Jun: 84°F

4th Jun: 74°F

June 1933

3rd: 80°F

4th: 84°F

5th: 85°F

6th: 86°F

7th: 85°F

8th: 77°F

Brilliant thanks- two very impressive spells. 31C in the first week in 1947. A long time since we've had anything to compete with this though.

According to those figures the Wikipedia all time records are wrong for Manchester for May- it has the all time record for May being 27C which is clearly too low.

Posted

Rostherne in this spell for comparison:

9th: 23.4C

10th: 29.4C

11th: 28.2C

12th: 31.3C

13th: 28.7C

14th: 26.4C

15th: 26.6C

16th: 27C (precise value not confirmed yet)

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Trevor Harley writes about June 1947:

It was very hot at the start, with a few thunderstorms. The temperature exceeded 30C on five successive days (starting in May), with a high of 34.4C on the 3rd in London and Lincoln (Waddington).

Absolutely exceptional to see a high of 34.4C as early as the 3rd of June, especially back then. Would be the equivalent of reaching 36-37C in that time nowadays probably.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Brilliant thanks- two very impressive spells. 31C in the first week in 1947. A long time since we've had anything to compete with this though.

According to those figures the Wikipedia all time records are wrong for Manchester for May- it has the all time record for May being 27C which is clearly too low.

Manchester's Heaton Park is supposed to have recorded 91°F on the 6th June 1933 and 90°F the previous day. 

• Like 1

Posted

According to the Met office a heatwave in this part of the world is three consecutive days of 25C: 

Prior to this year at Glasgow airport the highest total of 25C+ days recorded in June was 4 (1982, 1986, 1995, 2018) and for 27C+ days 2 (1986, 1989, 1995, 2018). Overall, since 1973, there have only been 4 spells of 4 consecutive 27C+ days. 

This month has seen 5 consecutive days of 26C+ and 4 27C+ days. Not bad for mid June. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I often find I need to add about 4C to the BBC (privatised sheet) temps so that it doesn't lead me far off reality.

Posted
55 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Trevor Harley writes about June 1947:

It was very hot at the start, with a few thunderstorms. The temperature exceeded 30C on five successive days (starting in May), with a high of 34.4C on the 3rd in London and Lincoln (Waddington).

Absolutely exceptional to see a high of 34.4C as early as the 3rd of June, especially back then. Would be the equivalent of reaching 36-37C in that time nowadays probably.

Yes,that is an incredible figure there is not a higher temperature until the 21st of the month that only just pips it at 34.5deg and previous to 2017 it would have been 23 days later on the 26th of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
2 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I recall early June 1982 being hot and humid and this is confirmed by Philip Eden. In London, Brazell noted June 1933 as 1.3F above the mean for June, and 1947 as + 1.6, with 3rd June 1947 being the hottest day (90.9F) of a hot summer.

That was correct, late May and early June 1982 was hot, humid, hazy with local thunderstorms.

Incidentally, before this year the general rule was that if a fine spell developed late in May, it was unlikely to survive far into June. Good examples include 1982, 1985, 1997, 2003, 2012 and 2021. In all those years except 2003, June was rather poor and in the majority except 2021, the fine spell didn't last beyond around June 7th.

So when the fine spell really got going around May 20th (previous week was sunny here but there was more convective build-up inland) I fully expected it to barely last into June. To continue until June 16th was really quite impressive.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

That was correct, late May and early June 1982 was hot, humid, hazy with local thunderstorms.

Incidentally, before this year the general rule was that if a fine spell developed late in May, it was unlikely to survive far into June. Good examples include 1982, 1985, 1997, 2003, 2012 and 2021. In all those years except 2003, June was rather poor and in the majority except 2021, the fine spell didn't last beyond around June 7th.

So when the fine spell really got going around May 20th (previous week was sunny here but there was more convective build-up inland) I fully expected it to barely last into June. To continue until June 16th was really quite impressive.

I dont think that it has been that impressive.Yes it has been a very long dry spell but it has only been since the 10th that high temperatures have arrived.We have had days of 24 to 28 deg since the 10th and it is only 22 deg today but previous to the 10th we had only 2 days above 20 deg all year with the majority of temps between 16 and 19 deg and feeling very chilly out of any sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A seemingly forgotten one, early June 2004.

archives-2004-6-8-12-1.png

31 degrees in Central London on the 08th. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
On 16/06/2023 at 15:23, mushymanrob said:

After a Spring without an early warm/hot spell, this current heatwave has took us a bit by surprise, as its been hotter and longer than anticipated.

Today is the 7th successive days of 25c+ being reached, indeed 4 days have topped 30c, and 3 daily temperature records have been broken including the June 13th enigma..

But how common are such spells in early June?.. i dont know where to find the data, but when was the last time we had 7 consecutive days of 25c+ or 4 of 30c+ in the first half of June?

Not quite early June, more mid June, but 2017 had a notable heatwave between the 14th and 21st. 

Maxes for Heathrow:

23EF15BD-5036-4017-B5ED-4594E1A1060D.thumb.jpeg.f3811e2179abeeffacdfd6ecff04026b.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, MP-R said:

A seemingly forgotten one, early June 2004.

archives-2004-6-8-12-1.png

31 degrees in Central London on the 08th. 

I haven't forgotten it. Perfect conditions in Sheffield for viewing the transit of Venus.

Posted
18 hours ago, danm said:

Not quite early June, more mid June, but 2017 had a notable heatwave between the 14th and 21st. 

Maxes for Heathrow:

23EF15BD-5036-4017-B5ED-4594E1A1060D.thumb.jpeg.f3811e2179abeeffacdfd6ecff04026b.jpeg

Remember June 2017 being a consistently very warm month. Eclipsed by June 18 so doesn't often get mentioned. 

We have had a truly memorable spell of heat, I think we managed 7 days 25 degrees or more, yesterday didn't quite make it and today saw 23 degrees, still very warm for mid June.