Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - July 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Been having several loud cracks for about half an hour in North Norfolk, torrential rain started about ten minutes ago, huge crack just now

Best storm of the year so far...

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Sat looking decent, fair bit of cape and shear around.

Screenshot2023-07-03220309.thumb.png.10cb73a269fc44f9e3a6b7c3b1a7e0f7.pngScreenshot2023-07-03220449.thumb.png.b91778edb1ee45cbfe353e6f963955f0.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

8 years ago right now, many of us were absolutely loving life! Anticipating those deep distant rumbles and endless distant flashes to be then getting hammered by hail and epic CG’s, some turning night time to daylight for a split second. 

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, since I posted about Friday night looking good, it's disappeared from ECM, whereas UKV has some elevated storms rumbling around on Sat AM.

Friday night still looks good on GFS & GEM, but the former in particular has promised me many nighttime light shows this year before correcting 2 days beforehand!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

8 years ago right now, many of us were absolutely loving life! Anticipating those deep distant rumbles and endless distant flashes to be then getting hammered by hail and epic CG’s, some turning night time to daylight for a split second. 

Could contain:

Crane operators weren’t 😅

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Could contain:

In 2015, 8 years ago, I was living in Bulford near Amesbury. I moved to Pagham in August of that year. For me, the most notable aspect of 2015 regarding thundery activity was that the large majority of it was so concentrated in that one night 3/4 July. Discharges were very frequent with continuously flashing lightning for a time and some very close discharges. 

Away from that night, there was very little other thunder and if it was not for that night, 2015 would have been one of the quietest years in my life.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

Well, since I posted about Friday night looking good, it's disappeared from ECM, whereas UKV has some elevated storms rumbling around on Sat AM.

Friday night still looks good on GFS & GEM, but the former in particular has promised me many nighttime light shows this year before correcting 2 days beforehand!

Friday evening looking good after a long hot day there’s something moving in from the west by about 1am triggering storms along the coast which move NE.

GFS on a hair over this (barely anything more than rain) but ICON shows clusters of storms in the south west, then a bunch of the good stuff over the CS just as the sun’s coming up.

Very likely to change but the key ingredients for a bang cake are there - hot day, southerly flow, potential trigger from the west… 🤞 

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

I don't recall this night in 2015 everyone's talking about? The one in 2018 however with the London Supercell was incredible. Funnily enough it completely missed me but I could see it from here to my north west and saw it lighting up every few seconds (no thunder heard). Then about midnight we had an incredible french import with regular green flashes as it approached which transitioned to horizonal purple forks as it came right over my house. Lasted well over a good hour and a half. What a great night and funnily enough my last proper night time storm. Haven't had another one since.👎

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

A few timelapses from yesterday. Ignore that I forgot to turn it into mute and you're hearing bird noises at like 20 times the speed.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Windblade said:

I don't recall this night in 2015 everyone's talking about? The one in 2018 however with the London Supercell was incredible. Funnily enough it completely missed me but I could see it from here to my north west and saw it lighting up every few seconds (no thunder heard). Then about midnight we had an incredible french import with regular green flashes as it approached which transitioned to horizonal purple forks as it came right over my house. Lasted well over a good hour and a half. What a great night and funnily enough my last proper night time storm. Haven't had another one since.👎

I do, cause it's the storm that started with fog, was watching lightning flashes in the fog before it finally came ashore, and could here the thunder through the fog too 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Windblade said:

I do remember it I think - started here as popcorn storms - I remember standing in the garden with the odd massive drop of rain and lightning emanating from rapidly growing AcCas. It then grew massively upscale as it drifted north.

As to the weekend it’s still looking very warm and very humid from what I can see. Looking easily to be the warmest night of the year Friday into Saturday, with overnight lows staying around 19-20C for some. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Looking easily to be the warmest night of the year Friday into Saturday, with overnight lows staying around 19-20C for some. 

That possibility sounds hilarious considering it’s currently below 14c at 13.15 only a few days in advance! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
17 hours ago, Mapantz said:

On this day in 2015:

Screenshot2023-07-03210109.thumb.png.223aa7ed774d8d64d7755efcaa575edd.png

I remember it well!

superb night of storms, some pretty violent ones around here  ! (lyneham at the time)

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 9