Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - July 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

I don't really understand the models but this one below looks good right?

Granted it's not a good location for me but I see discrete blobs of precipitation at 3pm prime time 

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
8 minutes ago, Tamsin said:

Granted it's not a good location for me but I see discrete blobs of precipitation at 3pm prime time 

Could contain:

Showers are indeed possible but SB Cape ( Convective available potential energy) is almost nonexistent to fuel storms.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Still keeping an eye for next weekend, could be something to watch for, with a possible moist and humid unstable airmass arriving again. Looks as if we got a trough placed to our west and heights to our east. The ECM 500hPa geopotential pressure ensemble average shows this quite nicely on the 3rd attachment. It's no thundery breakdown after high pressure, but some storms in the midst of this possibly lengthy unsettled pattern would do me nicely for July.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, as someone in the old thread predicted, plumey possibilities are back on the table for next weekend on ECM...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
55 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

Well, as someone in the old thread predicted, plumey possibilities are back on the table for next weekend on ECM...

Not a bad run for the weekend. A plume for the south coast, and central regions on Friday Night, with several rounds of showers and storms until Tuesday. 

Hopefully we get somewhere with this - and let's hope for an extension of the heat and plume. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
14 hours ago, CoventryWeather said:

Not a bad run for the weekend. A plume for the south coast, and central regions on Friday Night, with several rounds of showers and storms until Tuesday. 

Hopefully we get somewhere with this - and let's hope for an extension of the heat and plume. 

Only observation I would make is that sometimes (often in my experience) the best storms come from transient plumes, ie those that stick around for 1-2 days or less. You don’t want hot sticky air all the way up the atmosphere or else atmospheric profiles become too warm and moist and clouds struggle to get height. Hot sticky air at low levels with some coolness aloft or at least close by and boom!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

I see the revolting heat is back this friday going into the weekend - I knew it wouldn't bugger off for long. 😡 I just hope we get some relief in the form of showers or if we're really lucky some good storms. I've yet to see a single fork this year. All the stuff I've seen has been ic. 👎

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Friday's potential plume is looking like the best set up so far this year. The parent low pressure looks to set up west of NI/Scotland, with its cold front poised to sweep in from the west, bringing a short and sharp burst of WAA being undercut by cold air aloft originating from the NW Atlantic. Ahead of this, models seem to be picking up on pockets of mid-level instability drifting up from Spain, which look like they could ignite somewhere between S Eng and N France 

• Like 1

Posted

Torrential showers just south of the city moving quickly. 

With the cool airmass, cloud heights are fairly low topped I imagine, probably no higher than 20000 feet. 

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Some strikes confirmed on blitz...

image.thumb.png.6e4b2e19b4c3f6e403d5c2d54319e54d.png

And netweather radar starting to look tasty, even for me (although not expecting anything thundery but some rain would be lovely).

image.thumb.png.5a70a4cd7ec84e45e7ccdbe2506b033e.png

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.a7501dfc7d686c665a839e0259d6a3ce.png

Had this pass through about 20 mins ago or so, fair bit of hail and thunder that shook my flat.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning
On 01/07/2023 at 09:23, Tamsin said:

Could contain:

It's a stretch but I'm going to say I called it!  Yay for UKV

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

image.thumb.png.51904f4e28411cf1ccf8761a87eed053.png we just saw this lot going by, my camera ran out of battery so no photo but I like to imagine there were little mini tornado formations as it swept past. Very strange edge.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

image.thumb.png.51904f4e28411cf1ccf8761a87eed053.png we just saw this lot going by, my camera ran out of battery so no photo but I like to imagine there were little mini tornado formations as it swept past. Very strange edge.

Sorry to be that guy but there's no such thing as a "mini tornado" only a tornado. Did you see any rotation when it swept past? Be interesting to see if there was anything.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

I do find it quite odd convective weather never had anything out there for today. Quite a few strikes on radar now.

Posted

From Hunstanton looking to that squall line.

snapshot.php?alias=61b75f1acfb75
HUNSTANTON.WEBCAM

Watch a live video stream from the very top of the old Coastguard Lookout, towards Old Hunstanton Beach in Norfolk, UK.

Could contain:

• Like 1