Do you find 25°C to be hot?

Met.

Do you find 25°C hot?   

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find 25°C hot?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/07/23 at 18:10

Posted

Yes.  Growing up in what we’re cooler times in 70s/80s my gauge is:

20-24c - nice average summer day

25-28c - normal hot summer day

29c+ - very hot/ heatwave

If I still lived in London where I grew up, I’m sure those “standards” would be a degree or so upwards.  Having moved to NW England it’s still spot on.

• Like 4

Posted

I don't like hot weather, and to me anything over 22c is hot, i prefer it below 20c. I grew up in London in the 60s, and there were years when 30c was never reached. Nowadays its exceeded by a considerable margin evert year.

I now live on the Yorkshire Coast and even last year our top temperature was 29c, way too hot for me, but not as bad as places inland.

• Like 3

Posted
On 12/07/2023 at 15:28, Chesil View said:

25c is the very top end of what I find reasonable doing physical work outside.

Any more and it's just grim. Unfortunately in the UK genuinely dry heat at 25c and above is rare. 

I was in Egypt in March where it was 32 and above but the heat was exceptionally dry and it was quite comfortable.

We are an island surrounded by water, so it’s always going to feel humid once you hit the upper 20s.

25-30c can feel dry if there’s a easterly wind, but usually 28c and above is when it becomes mostly hot and humid.

Posted
24 minutes ago, mike57 said:

I don't like hot weather, and to me anything over 22c is hot, i prefer it below 20c. I grew up in London in the 60s, and there were years when 30c was never reached. Nowadays its exceeded by a considerable margin evert year.

I now live on the Yorkshire Coast and even last year our top temperature was 29c, way too hot for me, but not as bad as places inland.

I’m different.

For me anything around 21c or below in summer feels cold for me. 22-23c is ok, but I feel more comfortable when it’s 24-25c between June and August.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so had a different experience to yourself.

I remember the cold dull summers of the mid 80s, but also remember my earliest memories of hot summers from 1983,84, and then the hot summers of 89/90, 94 and 95.

I have always felt more uncomfortable during colder periods, and hated feeling cold as a child. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Often if I'm outdoors it means I'm moving about, in which case 25°C is much too hot. If I'm out on a walk then a feels-like temperature of 15°C will do me if I'm in a t-shirt and shorts. If I'm stationary then 18-22°C, but 25°C is fine. If I'm running or playing football then 8-10°C and drizzle is about right for me. I've played 5-a-side subzero in usual football wear and that's enough to keep me warm, but that sort of thing really gets the blood flowing!

As the above demonstrates, though, to make this a yes-or-no question is an oversimplification. The activity one finds themselves doing in such temperatures, as well as humidity, wind speed, etc. all make a difference. Location is a massive factor too; a Shetlander and a Londoner would likely disagree on the matter.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted

23c with a cold Baltic wind while we were at the beach yesterday felt positively cold lol.

25c and above would have made the difference.

A wind at the beach is ok, but when it’s cold it’s fairly unpleasant and I usually end up with a headache.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The absolute lowest acceptable temperature for a July/August day for me is 22c. For June it's 20c as it's slightly cooler then. 

21c and below in July or August usually means cloud or rain, and is too cool for summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

25c is too much for me . 18c with the sun popping in and out of the ⛅️ clouds with a nice breeze at this time of year ticks the boxes for me!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

25c is too much for me . 18c with the sun popping in and out of the ⛅️ clouds with a nice breeze at this time of year ticks the boxes for me!

18c feels cold in summer. Not warm enough for beach days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

18c feels cold in summer. Not warm enough for beach days.

Depends if you’re in full sun at this time of year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Like others have mentioned, humidity plays a big part for how uncomfortable I find it. I'm pretty much ready to tap out at 28c though. I have a rather limited tolerance to heat and clear blue skies 😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

25c is pretty much my perfect temperature. Not too hot to be uncomfortable in direct sun, and its not oppressive if you're exercising, moving around alot, doing gardening / outdoor work, or wearing a suit for work etc. Yet, still warm enough for a beach day, camping with pleasant evening temps, dining al fresco, beer garden, and so on.

Interestingly, 24-26c is around the optimum range for humans to maintain homeostasis (obviously, from a state-of-nature perspective so that means in naught but your birthday suit! 😅)

Albeit, us with directly North European heritage have generations-upon-generations of genetic adaptation / familiarity to living in temperatures that are cooler (often much cooler) than this on average, and in-turn reduced melanin levels which obviously means we burn in high UV conditions, but that doesn't mean that we aren't - on average - more 'optimised' as a biological organism in temps around the mid 20s. It's no coincidence why for the vast majority of people, their mood, peace-of-mind and energy-levels sky rocket when temps are 20-26c and the sun is out. And on the flipside, why so many people feel more sluggish, depressed and generally 'weaker' during the winter months...our immune system is directly affected by vitamin D, hence why people get sick/ill more during winter (that compounded by spending more time in enclosed places).

Posted

25C is too warm for me.

My preferred temp is about 21C, simultaneously with low humidity with a very light southerly breeze and clear blue skies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
15 hours ago, mike57 said:

I was in Scarborough on 19th/20th July last year and it was way hotter than 29°c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Even 18-20c can feel hot if there's not any wind and I'm sat in my south-facing garden, but there's possibly a bit of a micro-climate effect in that sort of situation, along with the effect of the high summer sun directly shining onto your skin.

So I voted yes. Even though I've experienced and coped pretty well in the likes of The Gambia in the wet season, I'd say 25 is basically where the weather starts being 'hot'. I may struggle a little in Arizona next month though, we'll see!

Edited by ChannelThunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Albeit, us with directly North European heritage have generations-upon-generations of genetic adaptation / familiarity to living in temperatures that are cooler (often much cooler) than this on average, and in-turn reduced melanin levels which obviously means we burn in high UV conditions, but that doesn't mean that we aren't - on average - more 'optimised' as a biological organism in temps around the mid 20s. It's no coincidence why for the vast majority of people, their mood, peace-of-mind and energy-levels sky rocket when temps are 20-26c and the sun is out. And on the flipside, why so many people feel more sluggish, depressed and generally 'weaker' during the winter months...our immune system is directly affected by vitamin D, hence why people get sick/ill more during winter (that compounded by spending more time in enclosed places).

Think sunshine's much more a factor than temperatures tbh. A cold, frosty, sunny day in winter really lifts people's spirits in my experience.

1 hour ago, ChannelThunder said:

Even 18-20c can feel hot if there's not any wind and I'm sat in my south-facing garden, but there's possibly a bit of a micro-climate effect in that sort of situation, along with the effect of the high summer sun directly shining onto your skin.

So I voted yes. Even though I've experienced and coped pretty well in the likes of The Gambia in the wet season, I'd say 25 is basically where the weather starts being 'hot'. I may struggle a little in Arizona next month though, we'll see!

I walked ~10 miles in July 2019 in 39°C Nevada heat. It's surprisingly okay; as long as you seek the shade when you can and stay hydrated then it's very manageable. I wouldn't call it comfortable, but definitely more tolerable than walking on a humid 30°C day in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

It depends really - saying that, I can cope with higher temps, but prefer the mid 20s. And if i'm out on a cycle ride 25 is a nice temperature.....though back in July 2021 it was close to 30, and that was uncomfortably hot (though it was a few days after my 2nd Covid jab, and I probably shouldn't have gone out in it).

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I find 25c too warm. Rather temperatures in summer in the low twenties then the mid twenties. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Generally no but it depends on acclimatisation.

25C in April is hot because it's way above what you're used to coming out of winter. 25C from May to September is just pleasantly warm. And when I've been acclimatised to hot weather there have even been times when 25C has felt a tad cool.

"Hot" (but not necessarily uncomfortable - depends on the humidity) for me would be 28-34 or so, with 35+ under the "silly hot" category with those sorts of temps challenging irrespective of the humidity level.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
2 hours ago, Premier Neige said:

I was in Scarborough on 19th/20th July last year and it was way hotter than 29°c

Yes we live on that little nose of land that sticks into the north sea at Flamborough Head, so have sea close by on 3 sides. Even a few miles inland was 4-6c warmer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i think my weather preferences under my location sums it up 15-25c is ideal generally speaking...even 30c here is often not too bad due to the low humidity we get..i would say 25c here in summer feels like a 21c summer day in the UK.

Posted
9 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Depends if you’re in full sun at this time of year!

18-19c is still chilly for me, even in full sun. It’s poor for a London day in July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i think my weather preferences under my location sums it up 15-25c is ideal generally speaking...even 30c here is often not too bad due to the low humidity we get..i would say 25c here in summer feels like a 21c summer day in the UK.

21c still doesn’t feel warm enough for me in London, if we are talking about July and August.

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Generally no but it depends on acclimatisation.

25C in April is hot because it's way above what you're used to coming out of winter. 25C from May to September is just pleasantly warm. And when I've been acclimatised to hot weather there have even been times when 25C has felt a tad cool.

"Hot" (but not necessarily uncomfortable - depends on the humidity) for me would be 28-34 or so, with 35+ under the "silly hot" category with those sorts of temps challenging irrespective of the humidity level.

I agree with this.

I remember 25c feeling coolish in late August 1995 due to the fact we had weeks of mostly 27-32c days, with the odd cooler day.

That was a special summer, and wasn’t too humid either. Just dry, sunny and hot. 

• Like 2