Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s crazy windy! Looks like tomorrow might be as bad or worse. Bit early for that malarkey 

Often have bouts of wind around the equinox.

And not just because I tend to have just started my gym bulk… 😌

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
28 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s crazy windy! Looks like tomorrow might be as bad or worse. Bit early for that malarkey 

Definitely. It's why Autumn is usually one of my least favourite seasons. 

I'd love Autumn if we had the sort of conditions that Americans love about 'fall' aka clear sunny days with frosty mornings and evenings where you can crisp the leaves on the ground with your shoes. 

But...most of Autumn here is wet, windy and cloudy. Virtually all of my memories of orange/red leaves on the ground are from nearly slipping over on them where the British damp climate has turned them into a sort of moist, slippery pulp! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

And I'm completely with you, too! Had similar experiences when trying to discuss evidence based debate. Some just can't (or won't) see it, and insist that perception trumps facts. I've kinda given up on that, too...! 

I did argue that locally the CET didn't work, but temp wise this area in actual averages did finish bang on average, but it is based on actual local figures. Sun of course was below average.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i thought bonfire night was well and truly dead and buried now

Your joking, loads of peeps do fireworks here, and there's a few small local displays, the main display that was normally done on the rec hasn't happened for a while though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i mean its just a damp squib these days and no one bothers with it anymore 

Definitely not true.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Some insane winds in London this afternoon. Nearly blew my phone out my hand a minute ago. 

We had some gusts here earlier, very autumnal at last lol, but also still t shirt weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
21 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I'd love Autumn if we had the sort of conditions that Americans love about 'fall' aka clear sunny days with frosty mornings and evenings where you can crisp the leaves on the ground with your shoes. 

But...most of Autumn here is wet, windy and cloudy. Virtually all of my memories of orange/red leaves on the ground are from nearly slipping over on them where the British damp climate has turned them into a sort of moist, slippery pulp! 

I’d love an American autumn, it’s warm well into October and then it rapidly starts getting colder, allowing the beautiful leaf colours. 
We occasionally get lucky here in autumn with crisp, sunny, cold weather but most of my memories are also of rancid, smelly, soggy piles of rotting vegetation with loads of wind and rain 

• Like 4

Posted
34 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Most of the 12 months is wet windy and cloudy !

Posted
13 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Your joking, loads of peeps do fireworks here, and there's a few small local displays, the main display that was normally done on the rec hasn't happened for a while though.

There is always a massive bonfire and fireworks at Himley Hall a couple of miles down the road from me. They have a fun fair and music. I am up the hill from there and you can see the display going on and hear the music.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It's interesting that people seem to want the weather to be warm as soon as we get to March, but when September is here they don't want it to cool down until November. 

Mentioning that you want a warm March is socially accepted, but mentioning that you want a cool September wouldn't go down too well.

I am a lover of all seasons at the right time of year personally.

I suppose that it's all balanced then with the anomalous cold in early March followed by the anomalous heat in early September

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
16 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’d love an American autumn, it’s warm well into October and then it rapidly starts getting colder, allowing the beautiful leaf colours. 
We occasionally get lucky here in autumn with crisp, sunny, cold weather but most of my memories are also of rancid, smelly, soggy piles of rotting vegetation with loads of wind and rain 

Yeah we have a boring climate overall. Places like Chicago are so much more interesting, apart from Hurricanes they get everything there in the mid west. Might get a bit too cold for some people but it's not as brutal as Minneapolis or Bismarck. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Yeah we have a boring climate overall. Places like Chicago are so much more interesting, apart from Hurricanes they get everything there in the mid west. Might get a bit too cold for some people but it's not as brutal as Minneapolis or Bismarck. 

Guy I work with lives in Chicago, a couple of years back when it was down to nearly -30C his house got wrecked by burst pipes, same thing happened to almost everyone in his road. Cost him thousands to fix. 

Even Chicago averages 2500hrs of sun. FYI 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

I’d be very happy with every month from now till having a CET about 4C above. Not a single frost or flake of snow. 

Agree with that. The thought of those cold dark mornings and minus 5 already filling me with dread. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
22 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Most of the 12 months is wet windy and cloudy !

Well yeah that's also true haha.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I have friends in Canada who I met when they were studying here for university. They're used to -20c and beyond, regularly, throughout winter. Yet they professed to me that something about the Northern European winter was worse and more difficult to deal with from a sense of gloominess, and a damp dark cold that is different to the crisp and clear frosty cold of North America.

Edit - just made me think too about how alot of people claim that hot weather abroad is "different' and easier to tolerate than hot weather here. "30c in Spain isnt the same as 30c in Britain!" and all that jazz.

Not sure what the science behind it all is... something to go with the good ol' gulf stream perhaps.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I have friends in Canada who I met when they were studying here for university. They're used to -20c and beyond, regularly, throughout winter. Yet they professed to me that something about the Northern European winter was worse and more difficult to deal with from a sense of gloominess, and a damp dark cold that is different to the crisp and clear frosty cold of North America.

Edit - just made me think too about how alot of people claim that hot weather abroad is "different' and easier to tolerate than hot weather here. "30c in Spain isnt the same as 30c in Britain!" and all that jazz.

Not sure what the science behind it all is... something to go with the good ol' gulf stream perhaps.

Agree re the Spain thing, most of the tourists resorts along the coast in Spain rarely have dew points below 20C late June through early September, often much higher. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
34 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

A part of me wonders if the humidity is harder to deal with here because of some mineral balance, like there's probably a considerable amount of sodium content with the oceanic influence. I imagine that makes it feel much heavier and harder for the body to tolerate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
46 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Guy I work with lives in Chicago, a couple of years back when it was down to nearly -30C his house got wrecked by burst pipes, same thing happened to almost everyone in his road. Cost him thousands to fix. 

Even Chicago averages 2500hrs of sun. FYI 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Communities across Devon are clearing up after torrential rain flooded homes, roads and businesses.

And thats the cost of hot weather

Posted
6 minutes ago, markyo said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Communities across Devon are clearing up after torrential rain flooded homes, roads and businesses.

And thats the cost of hot weather

You might as well blame the cool stuff off the atlantic  interacting with the warm air. I blame the chilly stuff. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

You might as well blame the cool stuff off the atlantic  interacting with the warm air. I blame the chilly stuff. 

Seriously mate....thats pushing it a lot!!! The energy is in the heat

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1