Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Storms
3 hours ago, Bristle Si said:

Autumn's really blown in here, this morn.

17c, chucking it down, blowing a hoolie. Much better than unseasonal warmth and sun, isnt it?🙄🤣

Had to get up & close the bathroom window in the night as was making door rattle yet am still in a vest top with a fan on following me around… AND prepping a roast no less! Never buy a new build people if you veer on the warm side!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
4 hours ago, Bristle Si said:

Autumn's really blown in here, this morn.

17c, chucking it down, blowing a hoolie. Much better than unseasonal warmth and sun, isnt it?🙄🤣

Funny you should say that... 😁

Yes, proper autumnal out there today and imo better for it.  Easier to do stuff around the house when I'm not sweating and sleepless after an overly warm night.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
17 minutes ago, Calneee said:

As a gardener, this just totally blows my mind. It feels like it took forever for my tomatoes & peppers to ripen this year!

My tomatoes did well but the heat loving plants like peppers and aubergines were awful like you said. I had to throw them out and plant cool season crops! 🌥️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, danm said:

Yeh Newcastle i think has an average max of only 19c in July. Pretty chilly. 

Those areas of the North East are very similar to the climate of South Western Norway tbh. Just less snow in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
23 minutes ago, Calneee said:

Had to get up & close the bathroom window in the night as was making door rattle yet am still in a vest top with a fan on following me around… AND prepping a roast no less! Never buy a new build people if you veer on the warm side!

I'm not in a new build and this house is hot, even today it found some heat while the sun was out for about an hour earlier. Still it's cooler than it has been all summer, 26 at the moment, got down to 25 over night. Don't expect the heating to come on for a while yet, set on twenty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

On another topic how is the sunshine doing this month so far?

I've been away but reading the reports on here from early in the month, it looks like, particularly away from the SE, there was fairly widespread cloud on the 7th, 8th, 10th-13th and it's been very cloudy since the 17th, with humid southerlies and a good deal of mid-level instability from the 7th onwards. The 14th-16th was sunny in the SE but less so elsewhere. The sunniest spell looks like it was the 2nd-6th?

Thus, despite strong heat early in the month, I'm guessing sunshine totals are not so impressive away from the SE, is this correct?

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
25 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

Yes, proper autumnal out there today and imo better for it.  Easier to do stuff around the house when I'm not sweating and sleepless after an overly warm night.

I'd much prefer the warmth and sun😎

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
32 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

Much better, working, sleeping you name it just better

• Like 2

Posted

Lots of rain for the past few hours. I expect J to come home from school in half hour looking like a drowned rat lol. Then a nice wet school run for me too! Temps cold at 16c. Was 18 before the rain hit. Brrr! This really isn't my time of year but we have started embracing it by putting little lights on, candles and decorating for Autumn.

• Like 2

Posted

Actually as much as I don't like this time of year there is something quite comforting about coming in from the heavy rain and cosying up! I prefer this over leaden skies that do nothing! At least its doing something!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Pouring rain, and incredibly windy which means the rain is shifting about all sorts of angles/ways. Umbrella? Pointless...

Such 'usable' weather compared to 22c and sunny 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The weather today is the absolute pits. The absolute worst of Autumn weather and why this is my least favourite season. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Where's the mists and mellow fruitfulness. This is the worst of the worst for us folks who enjoy outdoor activities. Don't mind cold but not this windy wet rubbish.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
40 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

On another topic how is the sunshine doing this month so far?

I've been away but reading the reports on here from early in the month, it looks like, particularly away from the SE, there was fairly widespread cloud on the 7th, 8th, 10th-13th and it's been very cloudy since the 17th, with humid southerlies and a good deal of mid-level instability from the 7th onwards. The 14th-16th was sunny in the SE but less so elsewhere. The sunniest spell looks like it was the 2nd-6th?

Thus, despite strong heat early in the month, I'm guessing sunshine totals are not so impressive away from the SE, is this correct?

We are only 13 hours behind London Heathrow for sunshine so far this month according to Metciel (though we are missing over 5 hours sunshine on 18th september data line though) so at least for here in Devon it's just all been very average and that's how I see this month coming out for sunshine at least, maybe just slightly over if next week plays ball!  🙂 Rainfall will be very much above average and I'd imagine temps will be about 3/4c above average for max temps or thereabouts thanks to the lovely first third of the month....

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Pouring rain, and incredibly windy which means the rain is shifting about all sorts of angles/ways. Umbrella? Pointless...

Still just about dry here, won't be long now though, umbrella wise, haven't bothered with one for years. Dover is to windy for one.

Posted
2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Hate this weather with a passion. It's a complete nuisance and for the life of me I cannot understand the excitement some get over gusty winds, rain and grey skies. It's boring.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Hate this weather with a passion. It's a complete nuisance and for the life of me I cannot understand the excitement some get over gusty winds, rain and grey skies. It's boring.

I'm dreading the storms, (wind) that we will probably get this year, even if they are benign, I don't like them at all 

Posted
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm dreading the storms, (wind) that we will probably get this year, even if they are benign, I don't like them at all 

I love windstorms especially at night, windier the better, makes me feel or safe and snug indoors lol   I remember burns day storm in the early 90's when I was little and it has stayed with me I guess, i think we had wind gusts into 85 - 90mph range, we still went to school as the worst of the wind was late morning, we weren't aloud outside til home time, had it been these days I'm pretty sure school would have been cancelled, It's only a matter of time until it happens again....I remember trees uprooted, roofing in roads and roof asphalt flying in the air and trying to not get hit by it walking home.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Glad there's some active weather around. Makes it a bit less boring.

• Like 8

Posted

Everybody cheer up, a little rain and wind doesn't hurt anyone, makes the country green, at least it's not cold....Sun and some warmth looks to be returning soon too 🙂

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, simshady said:

Glad there's some active weather around. Makes it a bit less boring.

No. It's absolutely sh#te!

• Like 6

Posted

Ok so it is Autumn, it is the UK, so that does mean a change to J.J.A. weather, and a breeze plus a downpour just makes you appreciate other times. Personally I love all the seasons as it's about change. The cooling off is a good sign as to me it shows we are tracking into the cooler time of year, the rain well it's a life giver and I feel should be appreciated, apart from excessive amounts (i.e. flooding), try living in a desert if you hate rain!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For a weather enthusiast's site I can't understand folk getting into a frenzy over some wind and rain. It's rough weather. Get used to it for the next 7 months. 

For goodness sake.😃

• Like 5