Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I remember that, it was another MCs that came over from France, had the best shelf I've ever seen in the UK, although an overnight MCs a few years later definitely out performed this July 2014 one.

Thing is, July 2014 was on another level severity wise, as Hastings (Where I was living at the time) was pounded by 60mph wind gusts and some of the largest hail I've ever witnessed (Must've been 4-5cm or so!). So Whilst I agree that later MCS's had higher amounts of visible lightning (partly owing to the fact most of the memorable ones occur at night), the 2014 was a proper day time beast after a 32c day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Thing is, July 2014 was on another level severity wise, as Hastings (Where I was living at the time) was pounded by 60mph wind gusts and some of the largest hail I've ever witnessed (Must've been 4-5cm or so!). So Whilst I agree that later MCS's had higher amounts of visible lightning (partly owing to the fact most of the memorable ones occur at night), the 2014 was a proper day time beast after a 32c day!

The one I'm on about had 80mph gust front, blew my fence of, the 2014 one was weaker, and wasn't very active here once it hit, it was better further west though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I noticed the sw storm is about to die unless it gets a new jumpstart somehow. Theres a few heavier cells developing around Brest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Decided I hate Google weather now because it’s lowered the chance of rain overnight

I love google weather because you get a little cute frog doing different stuff depending on the weather and time of day! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Tobsterstorm 7469 said:

I love google weather because you get a little cute frog doing different stuff depending on the weather and time of day! 

Wait… what I don’t get a frog 😦

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Looks like yet another storm that get to us then says, no I'm staying in the channel, rain comes in lightning moves east just off the coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Wait… what I don’t get a frog 😦

If you have an android phone and go onto the google app and type weather he'll come up! 😃

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Looks like yet another storm that get to us then says, no I'm staying in the channel, rain comes in lightning moves east just off the coast.

The channel does seem to kill even elevated convection these days. There’s just something about the south coast that inhibits any form of convection 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Summer weather
12 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I'll assume that storm over Selby is the last chance for one tonight but still, tomorrow is another day

Just passed over me, it was absolutely phenomenal, I can't wait to sort through all the footage I got of it. I think that was the best thunderstorm I've ever seen in this country, and tomorrow looks promising for many people aswell. One of those flashes was so bright it covered my entire vision, the thunder was less than a second later and was more of a boom than a rumble. Crazy stuff, I wonder if anyone else from the area got footage of that storm

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thomas Dicken said:

Just passed over me, it was absolutely phenomenal, I can't wait to sort through all the footage I got of it. I think that was the best thunderstorm I've ever seen in this country, and tomorrow looks promising for many people aswell. One of those flashes was so bright it covered my entire vision, the thunder was less than a second later and was more of a boom than a rumble. Crazy stuff, I wonder if anyone else from the area got footage of that storm

I got it from a distance. Absolutely beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Thunder and lightening in Exeter, rain has just started 🤞

Had a decent storm down here in South Devon too. Some more showers heading in overnight by the looks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms

Stockton on tees calling.

just spent the last hour and half in my front garden with a pipe full of condor, glass of gin and a couple of Stella’s watching Thor shoot some bolts.

never seen as many flashes on a night time for quite some time.

going to refill the gin and roll a cig and see what else is about.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stamford Bobby said:

I could see the flashes from that storm near Sheffield/Donny from Stamford near Peterborough. There are no other storms it could be to my north. Amazing!

Could contain:

Yep, same here too, flashes lighting up a clear starlit night. This was when it was due north of Sheffield.Quite surreal actually. Saw a shooting star as a bonus too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just going through some footage now but in the meantime i was trying to get some actual photo's(multishot),..i think i am going to invest in another cam soon as this one is getting a bit old...

DSC03845.thumb.JPG.f33046e068ef9c3b722f9cf6d98227dc.JPGDSC03853.thumb.JPG.c41a15abf0148bcb117fd2ef618c1c80.JPGDSC03857.thumb.JPG.2912ca7b61f6eadfabb57b4a4a1f3810.JPGDSC03863.thumb.JPG.484556eb3dfd65aba5cef949fff6de35.JPGDSC03880.thumb.JPG.b4d62a851c35e81d540af2895ccbcf25.JPGDSC03882.thumb.JPG.84617917c3f7d60755be15fcc51d7d1c.JPGDSC03902.thumb.JPG.c57db2bebe6e63e6b3b5467511b478ae.JPGDSC03932.thumb.JPG.7c20489cc21fa14ab4ead3b8f65cb33d.JPGDSC03951.thumb.JPG.8b2c296d3ba4da158a710dceb3a0ee58.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
15 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

Had a decent storm down here in South Devon too. Some more showers heading in overnight by the looks.

We had one flash nearby and thunder that’s all, seems to have died over the channel, the heaviest rain was to our east but some heavier rain to our south, maybe we’ll get a surprise over night 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and severe weather
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Hi @LIGHTNING ACTION some fantastic captures you've posted, thanks 😀

Just wanted to clarify which will help those learning about supercell dynamics, each supercell has  different characteristics to some degree ie not every supercell will produce large hail, tornadoes etc 

The storm that you witnessed is a fab example of a Mothership, here's one from Reed in June 

The images and vid you've uploaded give us a great view of the developments and rotation of the mesocyclone within the supercell 

supercell_aerial.gif

'Wall clouds will rotate on a vertical axis, sometimes strongly. The wall cloud is much smaller and more compact than a shelf cloud and is usually under a rain free cloud base.' 

I recently had a wall cloud on August 25th

FB-IMG-8120394397697688893.jpg

FB-IMG-2913240248612533331.jpg

WWW.SPC.NOAA.GOV

Hope this is helpful info. Cheers

Didn't even know you replied, thanks for teaching me, also nice wall cloud pic 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Even if I don't get a storm later today, i'll be happy after the light show earlier.