Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First maxima single digits - 2023-24 season

damianslaw

Posted

There is often a thread about first 21 degree 70f day max. Let's have one for first below 10 degree max day of new season.

In an average year we normally see our first such day by mid October. A northerly can do it by then, and also a cyclonic low overhead with a cool airmass.

Use this thread to record when it happens. In some years I imagine many have to wait until November nowadays and even then can be a tall order, as westerlies and southwesterlies tend to produce double digit maxes most of the year.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Usually happens here sometime in November, very rare for it to happen in  October. I think it might have just scraped below 10c at the end of October 2012.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Used to get the first max below 10c during Oct, now its usually the first half of Nov .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

Just curious why it’s the first day that achieves 21c and not 20c as 20c would make more sense to me. Not trying to derail just genuinely curious. 

I think 21c 70f was because of the first time it happened in feb 2019 and winter as a whole and as such seems to be the new benchmark when spring comes around. A similar thing would be perhaps 50f or 12c in autumn?

Edit sorry 50f is 10c

Edited by Freeze
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Very rare, but the first single digit daytime temp can even happen in September if it has the right setup. Late September 1993 delivered such conditions for many areas. 

Even rarer nowadays.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Wasn't too far off on 5th August this year, with a very poor max of 12.9C from 0900 - 2100.

The earliest sub 10C max I can find for Coventry is 27th September 1974 and 1993.

Since setting up the station in 2020, the first single digit maxes of the autumn here were as follows:

2020 - 19th November

2021 - 3rd November

2022 - 17th November

A look into Church lawford, a met station few miles east of Coventry since 2010:

2010 - 20th October

2011 - 8th November

2012 - 26th October

2013 - 4th November

2014 - 4th November

2015 - 20th November

2016 - 5th November

2017 - 5th November

2018 - 6th October

2019 - 26th October

So i'd expect the first one to occur usually at the end of October or early November, with it being much rarer before the middle of October or after the middle of November. Quite confident that it has never took until December for one to occur.

if this autumn continues to be quite mild / unsettled, wouldn't expect one until November.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

First single digit maxima here over the past decade:

2013 - 4th November

2014 - 5th November

2015 - 3rd November

2016 - 3rd November

2017 - 5th November

2018 - 27th October

2019 - 26th October

2020 - 3rd November

2021 - 3rd November

2022 - 16th November

Remarkably consistent actually, mostly occurring in the first 5 days of November. Fairly rare to see sub-10C highs in October these days. Judging by the above post it's also pretty consistent across England at least, probably earlier in Scotland.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Penguin16 said:

Just curious why it’s the first day that achieves 21c and not 20c as 20c would make more sense to me. Not trying to derail just genuinely curious. 

21'C is 70F so might be that people like that it's a nice round number in Fahrenheit. 

Posted

Quite rare to see single digit minima in October, the last time it happened was on 26th October 2019. It's way more common to see single digits in April. May 2021 saw more single digits than the October previous. The latest single digit minima into the year has to be the 3rd June 2012, at least for here. Max of 9C that day, was bizarre seeing the sunset at 9pm whilst feeling like mid-winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Being able to see the sun at all was a bonus in summer 2012...

In these parts I would expect the first sub-10 max to be in the first week of November. The Birmingham Christmas Market opens on 2nd November this year (seems to get earlier every time...) so I'll plump for that date as my guess for here.

Posted

In recent years on reflection its probably taken until late Oct for first such day. Used to be mid Oct. Rely on a northerly shot, or a southerly low with colder uppers wrapped within. North westerlies too mild, likewise easterlies. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

In southern England, I'll go for mid-November as first occurrence of widespread single-digit maxima. In a northerly of some kind.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Whilst the first single digit maxima for England and Wales this season continues to look a world away, some parts of north and east scotland may see it happen tomorrow. Big temp contrasts north to south. Will be interesting to see the differences.

Posted

The earliest single digit maximum here was 14th October 1997. Its one day before the earliest air frost on 15th October 1981 and two days before the latest 20C, which was 16th October 2017.

We're a long way from anything like that though this year!

Posted
On 20/09/2023 at 23:53, damianslaw said:

There is often a thread about first 21 degree 70f day max. Let's have one for first below 10 degree max day of new season.

In an average year we normally see our first such day by mid October. A northerly can do it by then, and also a cyclonic low overhead with a cool airmass.

Use this thread to record when it happens. In some years I imagine many have to wait until November nowadays and even then can be a tall order, as westerlies and southwesterlies tend to produce double digit maxes most of the year.. 

I don't think it's common by mid October at all for most of England. In fact in this part of the country we don't record a single figure maximum at all in the vast majority Octobers.

In the last decade here, only two Octobers have recorded single figure maxes and all of the days were well into the 2nd half of the month.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I don't think it's common by mid October at all for most of England. In fact in this part of the country we don't record a single figure maximum at all in the vast majority Octobers.

In the last decade here, only two Octobers have recorded single figure maxes and all of the days were well into the 2nd half of the month.

Like air frosts, single figure maximums in October are slowly becoming extinct here. What's interesting is that May at the other end isnt showing the same trend as much. I guess in a warmer climate the latent heat takes longer to wane so its to be expected, but in Spring its more to do with solar strength as the heat hasn't really built yet. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

Here in Estonia it's going to be tomorrow. Pretty normal time for it, I'd say. Some years we get the odd sub 10C day in September, but thats definitely a cold snap. By mid October single figure maximas are normal, although thanks to climate change it's more and more common for highs to be around 10-13C until the end of the month or even the first week of November. (although cold snaps like the one coming tomorrow still happen)

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Only twice in the past decade here too. Single-digit maxima in October is pretty rare now. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, IcySpicy said:

Here in Estonia it's going to be tomorrow. Pretty normal time for it, I'd say. Some years we get the odd sub 10C day in September, but thats definitely a cold snap. By mid October single figure maximas are normal, although thanks to climate change it's more and more common for highs to be around 10-13C until the end of the month or even the first week of November. (although cold snaps like the one coming tomorrow still happen)

The following European capitals will record their first sub-10C highs of the season tomorrow:

Helsinki 

Stockholm

Oslo

Tallinn

Riga

Moscow

Vilnius 

Minsk

Nothing surprising there. 

Stockholm is so far the only European capital to have recorded their first air frost (-1.1C on the 6th).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
1 hour ago, cheese said:

The following European capitals will record their first sub-10C highs of the season tomorrow:

Helsinki 

Stockholm

Oslo

Tallinn

Riga

Moscow

Vilnius 

Minsk

Nothing surprising there. 

Stockholm is so far the only European capital to have recorded their first air frost (-1.1C on the 6th).

Yeah, this part of Europe tends to be pretty cold. Interestingly, North America has a similar thing going on, with many cities in the Great Lakes region only reaching 11-12C in the coming days. Not quite single digit, but still quite chilly considering they are at a much lower latitude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am going for the first cold spell of the season during late October. So 23rd of October is my guess for the first single digit daytime temp.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91