Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted

Evening all,UKMO the best charts through to 168 hrs  this evening while ECM prefers the Atlantic lows to bring less cold air Ito the mix,still all about heights to our north west still more chopping and changing to occur from the charts but cold for the coming week looks nailed on to me with snow in Scotland and the north of England and perhaps still a low chance of of some white stuff further south.Longer term all guess work but northern blocking remains the key to every door for all cold lovers like myself,to early to throw the towel in lots to play for yet in this upcoming cold spell.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

But tonight’s are right.🤣

T120 plus is JFF or tonight maybe not as fun.  

IMG_0147.png

IMG_0146.png

IMG_0143.png

IMG_0144.png

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, weathercold said:

But many have discussed lowland England snow and a two week cold spell…not seeing either.

Maybe you just see something different to others . 

• Like 4

Posted
33 minutes ago, Big Gally said:

I’m hoping to see a return of the cold weather as we approach Christmas. 
It’s great start to winter considering the dross the uk has endured the last few years.

Many more twists and turns to come.

I think anything woukd be an improvement on previous seasons. Tonight's runs will be important to reinforce this. Keep the faith all! 

It’s great start to winter considering the dross the uk has endured the last few years.

I think anything woukd be an improvement on previous seasons. Tonight's runs will be important to reinforce this. Keep the faith all! 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, mbrothers said:

Maybe you just see something different to others . 

Are you seeing snow across most of mainland England?

Are you seeing strong Greenland heights across the full NWP suite?

I’m seeing temps wrong side of marginal across low level England, no sustained northern blocking and ground temps across all but the far north 4-6 degrees above freezing.

Intrigued as to what you’re seeing …

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mbrothers said:

Snow is probably best forecast a few hours before the event. I’m seeing the best cold charts for November for years. I’m not getting carried away either way but it is an exciting time for coldies. 

Fair enough and I hope we see snow would be great, I’m a coldie I assure you.

Just need to start seeing more convincing charts across the suite with stronger heights into Greenland, temps slightly lower at 850 and hopefully temps will gradually get colder day by day if we can maintain the block 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, weathercold said:

Fair enough and I hope we see snow would be great, I’m a coldie I assure you.

Just need to start seeing more convincing charts across the suite with stronger heights into Greenland, temps slightly lower at 850 and hopefully temps will gradually get colder day by day if we can maintain the block 

Where are you by the way? so we know location/elevation etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Clusters still look OK I think this is the latest update. Plenty of Blocking in place.

ps2png-worker-commands-76898cbbf-zdbjw-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-aSRNAH.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, carinthian said:

Think I would agree. The current UKMO outputs seem to be latching on to a quicker evolution to a colder scenario over the coming 7 days. Looking at the latest Fax chart , even at 72t there is an upgrade  with the 528 dam line further west. The North Sea will modify the 850mb values but the 500mb -1000mb  values would be low enough for snow ❄ especially a bit inland at 200m . The main source of cold advection into NW Europe will be from Scandinavia where the cold pool is now currently intensifying. I expect upgrades over the coming days , especially for The British Isles.

C

20231125.webp

They would have been my thoughts. The cold pool is still building.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

EPS still broadly cold out to day 10 but no denying the shift towards a more Atlantic influence in the extended now.

render-worker-commands-76898cbbf-vhf4c-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-uMk98t.thumb.png.b3b5bfaf53cee6431664ee1e96257978.png

Does seem the blocking might be numbered, but perhaps not a surprise given the MJO is cycling through 2/3 at the moment. Unless we can somehow get very lucky with a secondary wave break then a period of Atlantic activity is probably inevitable as we go through the first week of December.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 minute ago, Windysun1 said:

They would have been my thoughts. The cold pool is still building.

Yep, they have warnings currently in Sweden of intense cold over the coming days. Stockhom had snowfall earlier in the day and current temp -9c  in the city.

C

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Think I would agree. The current UKMO outputs seem to be latching on to a quicker evolution to a colder scenario over the coming 7 days. Looking at the latest Fax chart , even at 72t there is an upgrade  with the 528 dam line further west. The North Sea will modify the 850mb values but the 500mb -1000mb  values would be low enough for snow ❄ especially a bit inland at 200m . The main source of cold advection into NW Europe will be from Scandinavia where the cold pool is now currently intensifying. I expect upgrades over the coming days , especially for The British Isles.

C

20231125.webp

Fingers crossed dude 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

EPS still broadly cold out to day 10 but no denying the shift towards a more Atlantic influence in the extended now.

render-worker-commands-76898cbbf-vhf4c-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-uMk98t.thumb.png.b3b5bfaf53cee6431664ee1e96257978.png

Does seem the blocking might be numbered, but perhaps not a surprise given the MJO is cycling through 2/3 at the moment. Unless we can somehow get very lucky with a secondary wave break then a period of Atlantic activity is probably inevitable as we go through the first week of December.

Det looks very much at the top of the pack and more progressive in breaking things down..

That said, clearly more members bringing the Atlantic in longer term..

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Considering what's happening now in spite of the atmospheric drivers,It would be ironic if the background signals, like the MJO ,  when they are in a favourable phase for blocking fail to deliver. The weakening in heights over Greenland  is never a good sign. We just have to hope any Atlantic  influence is not a full on return to zonal for weeks on end, but of course  it could be.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1