Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Minimum Temperature Watch 2023-2024 season

damianslaw

Posted

I'd expect a new low for England give the way it it plummeting here  in the Vale of York.  I've gone from a 2.6C high to the current -3.3C in around 3 hours. Anything like that in the usual cold spots should see new lows.

• Like 1

Posted

This thread always gets forgotten in winter, it should be a hive of activity this evening, but most stick to the regionals which makes monitoring events hard.

Can someone post the current Scotland and England mins for reference.

High chance tomorrow dawn will bring lower temps. Most will see their coldest night of season I feel.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

We were not sure which ones counted in Scotland.  Of the regular suspects, Altnaharra had -12.6C but there were a couple of less familiar stations hit -15.0C if you look back on this thread. In England it was -9.4C at Shap. That is currently -6.8C so beating its own low looks very possible. Whilst many moan about the lack of snow in the current cold snap on their own doorstep, there is plenty on northern hills that seems to be driving down temperatures such that new lows for winter look probable tonight.

Edit - whoops! I missed Shap's -10.5C this morning

And some might find Lerwick's -7.0C of interest.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

We were not sure which ones counted in Scotland.  Of the regular suspects, Altnaharra had -12.6C but there were a couple of less familiar stations hit -15.0C if you look back on this thread. In England it was -9.4C at Shap. That is currently -6.8C so beating its own low looks very possible. Whilst many moan about the lack of snow in the current cold snap on their own doorstep, there is plenty on northern hills that seems to be driving down temperatures such that new lows for winter look probable tonight.

Edit - whoops! I missed Shap's -10.5C this morning

And some might find Lerwick's -7.0C of interest.

Thanks. Shap at -10.5 the low to beat in England. -14 Dalwhinnie, both doable. 

Posted

New season low in England, Shap at -11 degrees.

Benson went down to -10.1 degrees.

Not sure if these are confirmed.

Awaiting Scottish figures..

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

New season low in England, Shap at -11 degrees.

Benson went down to -10.1 degrees.

Not sure if these are confirmed.

Awaiting Scottish figures..

I can confirm Benson. -10.3 IMBY.

Don't know why I don't post more in here! Probably because we don't really raise our eyebrows until it goes into double figures!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A low of -6.0C this morning, which doesn't beat our low of -6.3C back in December. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Don't know why I don't post more in here! Probably because we don't really raise our eyebrows until it goes into double figures!

Yes this thread tends to see little action, but I always ensure it is kept alive when possible new lows might happen..

It does tend to be minus double digit figures that gain attention, in most years an England low in the minus double digits occurs at some point, but not always, and not always in Dec- Feb, sometimes Nov, March or even April..

Tonight set not as cold. May be some time before we think about possible new lows, plenty of time for -11 to be beat still. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted

Tulloch Bridge Highlands -13.6c provisional temperature overnight.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

Tir Abad, Cymru got down to - 9.7 last night. Could be close to that again overnight. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes this thread tends to see little action, but I always ensure it is kept alive when possible new lows might happen..

It does tend to be minus double digit figures that gain attention, in most years an England low in the minus double digits occurs at some point, but not always, and not always in Dec- Feb, sometimes Nov, March or even April..

Tonight set not as cold. May be some time before we think about possible new lows, plenty of time for -11 to be beat still. 

Might also be because these low temps are usually very isolated to the usual frost hollows, the rest of us will have comparatively unremarkable temperatures.

Posted
36 minutes ago, cheese said:

Might also be because these low temps are usually very isolated to the usual frost hollows, the rest of us will have comparatively unremarkable temperatures.

I think these temperatures need context. Kew Gardens had -7.5C Thursday morning, Bushy Park -7.9C noteworthy for without snow cover. -8C Birmingham Airport ect. Quite a few had coldest January night since 2010.

IMG_1518.thumb.jpeg.5e82ad11226b9744cb75f2c113637b0e.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, Cymro said:

Tir Abad, Cymru got down to - 9.7 last night. Could be close to that again overnight. 

Know what the Welsh low is for the season?

Posted

I noted Is-Y-Coed with -8.5C on December 1st so I think you'll find the lowest for Wales has been very recent.

• Thanks 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I think these temperatures need context. Kew Gardens had -7.5C Thursday morning, Bushy Park -7.9C noteworthy for without snow cover. -8C Birmingham Airport ect. Quite a few had coldest January night since 2010.

IMG_1518.thumb.jpeg.5e82ad11226b9744cb75f2c113637b0e.jpeg

These lows quite good going as majority of english stations had no snow cover and uppers and thicknesses modestly cold only. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Interestingly in just a few days time we could be looking at record Maximums!

• Thanks 1

Posted

This might have gone under some radars. Very noteworthy for such a strongly maritime influenced climate… 

info

On 18/01/2024 at 09:00, Frosty hollows said:

-11C was the confirmed low on morning of 18th.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

BBC say Kinbrace currently -13 degrees, depth of cold notable in far north of Scotland at least.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Aleman Good going, far north of Scotland has had a few decent shots of very cold arctic air albeit shortlived so far this winter - but quite standard overall. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

We actually managed a min of -0.1C this morning so at least this won't be our first February without an air frost. The record high low minimum is -0.5C though so still on course for that.

We had to wait 36 days since the last air frost on the 19th January, which gives an idea of how mild it has been.

The lowest last night was -5.6C in Aboyne.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Highly unlikely we will see a lower minimum this season now, but stranger things have happened.

Grateful if someone can post lowest min for England and Wales, and also Scotland. 

No notable cold this season, I think akin to last season, lowest min around -15 degrees.

Again many places recorded lowest min very early in the season before christmas, becoming a theme, unusually. Mid Jan only other time any depth of cold happened. 

Posted

The lowest official overall minimum, and lowest minimum for Scotland, seems to have been -14.0 at Dalwhinnie on 17 January. Around the same time, some unofficial/amateur weather stations in the same general area (northern Perthshire/southern Inverness-shire) recorded lows below -15 (Blair Atholl sticks in the mind as having the lowest one I saw - around -15.5 or so, I think).

The northerly in early February also produced a few double-digit negative lows in northern Scotland, with Althaharra getting down to -13.8 on the 8th.

The December low was -12.5 at Altnaharra on the 3rd.

The official figures are taken from the monthly summaries here: 

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Overview of weather across the UK for previous months, seasons and years