Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Horrible weather here in central Europe, mild, yet more rain rain rain and today, more wind. Feels like southern England. At least December saw some snow and a couple of brief colder spells but this is just grim. 

Posted
9 hours ago, Brassmonkeylily said:

Maybe Netweather should have a separate thread ..called 'chasing cold 10-15 days away starring perb 20!

They tried that a few years ago with a 'hunting cold' thread and a 'serious' model thread. It didn't really work because the hunting cold thread ended up getting used as the main model discussion thread and the few users who were doing more detailed analysis of the models in the serious thread rather than one liners in the hunting cold thread ended up just talking too themselves with very few posts per day. Not very rewarding for users to regularly take time to deep dive into the models if most of the other users are not even seeing their posts because they are reading another thread.

Can someone remind me where I find the ignore button? Very tedious in the model discussion thread this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

The Model thread this morning......there are too many people who think that weather comes down to one season......winter. They disappear  when snow and cold prospects disappear as well.  Why? Some even lurk without actually posting anything the rest of the year. Why? 

They give all this technical  analysis all during the winter season, why don't they do it all year around?  Do they do it to get as many like as possible? There is no such thing as the "closed season" when it comes to the weather.

• Like 8

Posted
46 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

They tried that a few years ago with a 'hunting cold' thread and a 'serious' model thread. It didn't really work because the hunting cold thread ended up getting used as the main model discussion thread and the few users who were doing more detailed analysis of the models in the serious thread rather than one liners in the hunting cold thread ended up just talking too themselves with very few posts per day. Not very rewarding for users to regularly take time to deep dive into the models if most of the other users are not even seeing their posts because they are reading another thread.

Can someone remind me where I find the ignore button? Very tedious in the model discussion thread this morning.

Just hover the mouse pointer over the user's name and some info will appear, including the ignore button.

This may be different if you're on an Android device though.

Edited by Buzz

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

The Model thread this morning......there are too many people who think that weather comes down to one season......winter. They disappear  when snow and cold prospects disappear as well.  Why? Some even lurk without actually posting anything the rest of the year. Why? 

They give all this technical  analysis all during the winter season, why don't they do it all year around?  Do they do it to get as many like as possible? There is no such thing as the "closed season" when it comes to the weather.

It’s descended into parody today, unreadable garbage. Should call it the hunt for likes 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

From my own personal perspective, I find winter the more polarising season because of the potential of snow and given it's scarce rarity these days, I have the mindset of even if there is a whiff of a chance at snow, it peaks my interest given it's appearance chances. With Spring, Summer and Autumn as straightforward weather wise, it's dry or wet. You will get days that are reflective of the season. You may see something wintry in early spring or late autumn, but they are rare as hens teeth. The dry or wet weather doesn't quite fill with the excitement like a snow event does, but again that's just me and that might be the case for others who seem to come alive with interest when Winter rolls around. I don't wish for a historical deep freeze event, far from it in fact. Just more a couple of snow days and a few good days of frosts and I am good. 

I peek in the model thread, but I mainly avoid it as I am nowhere clued up about models and that thread is to discuss models rather than reading tea leaves. Without a doubt, that thread goes bonkers in winter. My biggest gripe with that thread is that many try to get to carried away and hung up on what the models don't show rather than what they do (by both cold lovers and doom merchants) and that always seems to end up derailing the thread. I don't envy the mods. Snow seems to be the weather that drives the most emotive responses (whether we get snow or don't). 

I guess with the other seasons, mainly summer for example. If we have a whacking ridge of high pressure over us and into Europe, I am assuming pattern changes are slower to come by and hence probably the tumbleweed effect we see in activity in the model thread and plus I imagine many of us are enjoying long summer days outside 🙂 

Enough of my rambling 😉 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Upcoming awesome freeze. might even get a frost 🙄 

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 06-09-39 Somersham - BBC Weather.png

I see all the "sunny" days are as usual, a week out- In other words, nothing more than a fantasy lol. You just know these will downgrade to the grey cloud symbol unfortunately 😴

• Like 3

I've been a NW member for years, never post because I don't have any technical knowledge relating to Models. 

The model thread used to be an absolute superb read. Unfortunately, NW has become a victim of its own success.

So many of the posts are unreadable, biased or just bickering. The number to times there's two posts back to back with completely polarised opinions of the latest output is ridiculous.

I appreciate that there's always going to be a bit of a difference on how people interpret output but too much of what's posted is either outrageous ramping or being deliberately contrary.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
21 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Who wants to do that anyway 🤣 I have no idea why foreigners keep falling for the propaganda that London is the best city in the world or whatever. It's just every bogstandard large city but smaller than most of them and with more homelessness.

As someone who lives in London and has seen its ugly parts, I think it's a beautiful city. Any city has those parts, every single one. You go to parts of Los Angeles and Paris for example and some parts I've heard (Especially LA) are genuinely ghetto wastelands (Skid Row). Every place has the grime under the glamour. I think there's so much beautiful architecture and sights, plus it's so green. I don't believe in a best city but I think it's unfair for people to paint London like that. It is extremely expensive though, though that is becoming true everywhere sadly. Also, weatherwise I think London is vasty bemoaned far too much. We do get grotty years and cloudy spells but I've never found British weather particularly egregious. Could be because it's what I've grown up with, but I also think the outdated stereotype of these Victorian era summers of 15C weather all year still holds despite the average high in London is between 23 and 25C nowadays, plus many years recently have seen quite a lot of sunshine. I think we're getting sunnier and wetter, oddly enough.

Anyways, back to current topics...

I see the usual hysteria is being spouted off again. Everything looks okay to me so far. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

Just dipped in for my weekly giggle at the mad thread. The word ' potential' is being used alot by those picking one computerised prediction from hundreds. Very amusing. Anyone see the darts last night? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Just dipped in for my weekly giggle at the mad thread. The word ' potential' is being used alot by those picking one computerised prediction from hundreds. Very amusing. Anyone see the darts last night? 

Luke is going to win

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Yep. The final 8.15 this eve. One of my mates has Luke The Nuke at 80/1, pre-tournament.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

Yep. The final 8.15 this eve. One of my mates has Luke The Nuke at 80/1, pre-tournament.

should be earlier, it won't be 8.15, more like 8.40, WDF best as it's at 7pm sharp, no mucking about

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
13 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

How far back does this station's data go, out of interest?

The Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka temp was equal to 1918

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
15 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka in Sweden has equalled its lowest recorded January temperature with -43.0C it is also the lowest January country temperature since 1999 when Karesuando dropped to -49.0C

That is quite something! Crazy that such temps are being seen in Sweden at the moment whilst we are still in double digit temps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

I see all the "sunny" days are as usual, a week out- In other words, nothing more than a fantasy lol. You just know these will downgrade to the grey cloud symbol unfortunately 😴

Always the way. I've got PTSD from these forecasts from Spring and Summer this year, so my expectations are very low. 

3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I have noticed this also. 

Only been on this forum a couple of years but definitely a bunch of people in he Model thread who I've never seen posting before, and they never seem to be in any other of the threads like this one. It's a little odd, imo.

I get that people have weather preferences but only enjoying a properly cold/frosty/snowy winter in the UK is a bit like only enjoying rainy weather in Southern California. You aren't going to get your preference the vast majority of the time. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I hope that 2024 is a better year weather wise than 2023. 2023 was a very meh Atlantic dominated year. By the way what do you folks predict Londons high/lows to be in the 2020-2050 series? I’m going to say a Jan of 10/4 an April of 17/9 a Jul of 26/16 and a Oct of 18/11. Similar to modern northern France I think 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

It’s descended into parody today, unreadable garbage. Should call it the hunt for likes 

if 'like' button is scrapped, would it be the same, probably not

I like seasons to be seasons. Trouble is majority of the time we’re in a permanent state of autumn for the majority of every winter. Summer delivers the goods a lot more frequently than winter ever does. I feel the heart of winter is going to ebb away without delivering a decent widespread snow event the UK. Anything of interest is always FI and almost every time gets watered down. 

I’m not trying to jaffa cakes people off that prediction, I could easily be wrong I don’t possess a crystal ball but proper winter wonderland scenes seem to be all the more rarer as time goes on. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow cold weather alert issued for all of England from the 6th to 9th, with the probability the cold spell will last into the following week.

image.thumb.png.1f2da88646a87273932f270569de842e.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

I got him at 66/1 

1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

should be earlier, it won't be 8.15, more like 8.40, WDF best as it's at 7pm sharp, no mucking about

8pm starts tonight 👌

• Like 1

Posted

Christ what a headache of a read that was in the MAD thread. The quality of that thread is but a shadow of its former self. 

Posted

After 2/3 hours of partly sunny, dry weather this morning, lo and behold, the rain has returned once again!

We did have a break from it for about 10 hours, so can't complain eh...

This climate is a joke.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
10 minutes ago, andy989 said:

Christ what a headache of a read that was in the MAD thread. The quality of that thread is but a shadow of its former self. 

It's an inclusive thread with different opinions - what's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

After 2/3 hours of partly sunny, dry weather this morning, lo and behold, the rain has returned once again!

We did have a break from it for about 10 hours, so can't complain eh...

This climate is a joke.

Yeah i was just thinking that. I've spent most of my morning cleaning up the mess from that storm yesterday - it ripped off my greenhouse roof and blew a lot of my stuff around the garden.

• Like 1