Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Bye bye cold - Hopefully ECM follows this much milder GFS suite. Big upgrades for those that dislike the cold.

Mad thread in meltdown - avoid at all cost. 

IMG_6768.thumb.jpeg.387a07cb7455ece0a3d594775e6cf323.jpeg

I hope that doesn’t mean more rain though.. What’s the precipitation forecast like?

48 minutes ago, Bypass said:

This morning when I  first looked at Netweather the highest temperatures in the UK of 5C were very unusually at  Lerwick Shetlands and the Scilly Isles. Unusual, probably never happen again, but the circulation of the high  just shows what happens when we lose the continental easterly as is predicted in the next couple of days

Yes it is unusual for Lerwick to be the mildest. But it has an extremely oceanic climate with the average lows quite high for its northerly location. The scilly iles is mild all winter, with an average high of 10C and low of 6C, rarely gets cold down there.

18 minutes ago, Racer said:

I’m not keen on cold weather, but it’s winter and seeing the sun makes it bearable.  I really don’t understand the apparent love in the MOD thread for “deep cold”. However it’s snow I really hate, makes the roads dangerous, pavements tricky and generally screws life up. I’d be happy never to see it snow again in this country.

Never thought I’d see a comment like that on these forums! I am surprised by the number of people on here who prefer mild conditions in winter - this forum has always been very cold biased and before I started posting in winter I thought anyone who dared say they enjoyed mild weather would be shot down like a rabbit.

3 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

That's exactly how I feel. Deep cold is not only dangerous because of ice on roads and pavements, but it's bad for the health too. People may like it, but it ain't good for them...

But constant gloomy, rainy weather isn’t good for peoples mental health. A crisp sunny day in winter can boost your mood, especially when it’s been cloudy for so long.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Deep cold > rain. All day every day. I can guarantee you people in Sweden and Finland spend more time outdoors in winter than we do. 

I’d take mild & dry too but that’s very uncommon in January. Once we get to February it’s more likely.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
23 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I hope that doesn’t mean more rain though.. What’s the precipitation forecast like?

Yes it is unusual for Lerwick to be the mildest. But it has an extremely oceanic climate with the average lows quite high for its northerly location. The scilly iles is mild all winter, with an average high of 10C and low of 6C, rarely gets cold down there.

Never thought I’d see a comment like that on these forums! I am surprised by the number of people on here who prefer mild conditions in winter - this forum has always been very cold biased and before I started posting in winter I thought anyone who dared say they enjoyed mild weather would be shot down like a rabbit.

But constant gloomy, rainy weather isn’t good for peoples mental health. A crisp sunny day in winter can boost your mood, especially when it’s been cloudy for so long.

I was a pharmacist for forty years, we used get older folk in all the time saying that cold weather would “kill all the bugs”. I used to tell them it won’t kill the bugs, but it could kill people so make sure to keep warm!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, 10 Days Away said:

I'm watching a USA severe weather live feed on YouTube with 36,000 others.

Blizzards, flash flooding, 90 mph wind gusts and tornado warnings. 

I wouldn't trade in my 10 minutes of graupel from yesterday for all their excitement.

This is the thing...

It makes for interesting weather for meteorologists and weather enthusiasts / nerds like this forum sitting indoors on their laptop. 

But have to go to work in those sorts of weathers, especially if your work is anything outdoors...quite hellish!

Alongside of course people's homes and possessions being ruined by the floods and extreme cold etc.

As boring as our climate is, it's mostly benign at least.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Racer said:

I was a pharmacist for forty years, we used get older folk in all the time saying that cold weather would “kill all the bugs”. I used to tell them it won’t kill the bugs, but it could kill people so make sure to keep warm!

Agree with cold not killing bugs, feel the colder it is the more chance of catching cold/corona etc, 

I've never had a cold family virus later than approx 25th April, or earlier than around Oct holiday week

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
34 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

But constant gloomy, rainy weather isn’t good for peoples mental health. A crisp sunny day in winter can boost your mood, especially when it’s been cloudy for so long

Agree. 

I understand people who dislike cold weather for health reasons however. Certain illnesses / issues are really amplified in cold conditions. Same as how the heatwaves we get in summer affect certain people's health negatively (alot of people in the Heat Haters thread here for example). 

Sat outside for lunch today wrapped up and definitely felt so much better after, despite it being cold. The sun is the life giver and bringer. I always feel in a bit of a fugue-state from around Nov to March in this country, and I'm unequivocally sure it's due to the sheer lack of sunshine hours we tend to get here.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Agree with cold not killing bugs, feel the colder it is the more chance of catching cold/corona etc, 

I've never had a cold family virus later than approx 25th April, or earlier than around Oct holiday week

There’s more virus transmission in the winter because people are indoors breathing on each other. Hot weather can kill the old and vulnerable, but cold weather kills more people 

• Like 1

Posted

I said I didn’t understand why people wanted deep cold, I didn’t whinge or criticise as that’s their choice and their opinion. Mine happens to be different. 
As for the effects of cold weather, that’s science. Deal with it.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Racer said:

I said I didn’t understand why people wanted deep cold, I didn’t whinge or criticise as that’s their choice and their opinion. Mine happens to be different. 
As for the effects of cold weather, that’s science. Deal with it.

It wasn't aimed specifically at you, but as you replied, I would ask why someone who has been here 5 years and hates winter so much has only posted exclusively in December, January and February during that time. Not to mention the recurring theme in those posts.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Used to catch either a cold or some other nasty bug every August for many years but last year I broke that trend. Had several colds late 2022 - early 2023 though, but was fine rest of the year.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
14 minutes ago, reef said:

I'll never understand why people join a weather enthusiast's forum and then whinge about people following the models in the other thread or about potential weather that is actually interesting and not the grey, miserable rubbish we have had for pretty much all of the winter (and much of the Autumn) so far. Enough of the guilt-tripping and saying how cold weather isn't good for people. People have preferences that are different. Deal with it. Not to mention, the same people will be whinging in summer when the models don't show the weather they desire or if  anyone dare show any other preference to them. Its ridiculous.

This ^^, well said @reef, it beggars belief why some posters are even on a 'Weather Forum' 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, reef said:

I'll never understand why people join a weather enthusiast's forum and then whinge about people following the models in the other thread or about potential weather that is actually interesting and not the grey, miserable rubbish we have had for pretty much all of the winter (and much of the Autumn) so far. Enough of the guilt-tripping and saying how cold weather isn't good for people. People have preferences that are different. Deal with it. Not to mention, the same people will be whinging in summer when the models don't show the weather they desire or if  anyone dare show any other preference to them. Its ridiculous.

The health guilt-tripping about cold weather is rapidly becoming as tiresome as the tales of woe about heating bills.

The constant sniping at the posters in the Model Discussion Thread comes across as a frustrated urge to enjoy some sort of oneupmanship. And what's the criticism of "one-liners" all about? Their use is perfectly natural when replying to someone in what's called a "discussion". Do these people only ever communicate by the use of lenghty speeches or rambling soliloquys?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
10 minutes ago, CharlieBear9 said:

The health guilt-tripping about cold weather is rapidly becoming as tiresome as the tales of woe about heating bills.

The constant sniping at the posters in the Model Discussion Thread comes across as a frustrated urge to enjoy some sort of oneupmanship. 

Not really the wisest of post you've made, considering you were doing the same thing when there were those who were looking for hot weather last year. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, SunnyG said:

That's exactly how I feel. Deep cold is not only dangerous because of ice on roads and pavements, but it's bad for the health too. People may like it, but it ain't good for them...

Yeah and clinically vulnerable start dying at 24C too. The optimal temperature for humans is narrow and very boring, no I don't want 18C all year long.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Not really the wisest of post you've made, considering you were doing the same thing when there were those who were looking for hot weather last year. 🤷‍♂️

My post was about my own health issues, where excessive heat can lead to breathing difficulties, which is why I have medication.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I'm just glad to finally have something other than mild, dull and often wet. Even saw a bit of snow falling yesterday which was nice although of course I'd have liked to have seen a lot more than that. 3 days of almost uninterrupted sun here which hasn't been seen for a long time. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Springs/Summers, Chilly Autumns , Cold Winters
2 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Bye bye cold - Hopefully ECM follows this much milder GFS suite. Big upgrades for those that dislike the cold.

Mad thread in meltdown - avoid at all cost. 

IMG_6768.thumb.jpeg.387a07cb7455ece0a3d594775e6cf323.jpeg

I don't think wind and rain is an upgrade. After the December we've had, I hope the Atlantic onslaught doesn't return. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 minute ago, Coldilocks said:

I don't think wind and rain is an upgrade. After the December we've had, I hope the Atlantic onslaught doesn't return. 

I'd have to agree. If we're getting a mild spell in winter it could at least be dry and still. Wind and rain is just a different kind of cold at this time of year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Springs/Summers, Chilly Autumns , Cold Winters
12 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

I'd have to agree. If we're getting a mild spell in winter it could at least be dry and still. Wind and rain is just a different kind of cold at this time of year.

The GFS is predicting unsettled weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Currently 2°c here with a bitter northerly breeze, certainly not the kind of weather you want to be outside in. That's as cold as it ought to be getting imo, anything below that is just as bad as rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

https://youtu.be/VJ4IzJeYHl4?si=ecczDSep41hkOfJS

Nice day today, very cold though.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like it’s another week of settled weather before the Atlantic is knocking on our doors from the SW. Enjoy the (sometimes) sunny and calm weather whilst you can methinks… 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 05/01/2024 at 22:44, 10 Days Away said:

🎢 in the Model thread again. Up and down and around and around.

Don't that lot have any daily chores to do like cooking, cleaning shopping etc lol

• Like 1