Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
20 minutes ago, johncam said:

Hi Scott 

How good are they armt getting it right though. We have seen this before and it came to nout

Of course yeah, no one’s said they are full proof but you’d prefer to have these on your side and when you know that background signals point to exactly this you can have more confidence in the scenario

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
32 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.8cee63bd5bb87d1ab4d3344c81d3f3b5.png

just wandering if the UKMO text forecast is a holding forecast as its (in their minds) been put back to outside the 30 day range, that would tie in with that run, 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I hadn’t read eXeters update ….

The chance of a colder spell of weather, with hazard such as snow and ice, does increase later in December and into the New Year period.

Those of us who’ve been doing this for longer than we’d care to admit see that as a very positive wording for coldies. They'll always sit on the side of not cold until the evidence is too strong to ignore it - look at the cold spell just ending. 

Yes but you've missed out the last bit that I alluded to earlier. This wasn't in the update previously and certainly give one the impression that they are 'less bullish' about it happening at the end of the month and into the new year when compared to the last few updates. I know more than most about how Exeter updates fluctuate and are covered with the C (Caution) word. I just don't understand the slight climb down today. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
29 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Of course yeah, no one’s said they are full proof but you’d prefer to have these on your side and when you know that background signals point to exactly this you can have more confidence in the scenario

Cheers Scott

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

It’s the nature of long term forecasts they will update from things like the EC46 and if it can change for mild quickly it can change for cold. They will just update it as it shows so if it’s 55-45% either way they will say a chance of cold but mild slight favourite n vice versa. It’s really not worth worrying about whatsoever at these lead times. 

Anyway, all has been solved - It was Darren Bett on duty today. That answers it 😂😂

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Anyway, all has been solved - It was Darren Bett on duty today. That answers it 😂😂

Oh was it 😂😂 yeah that would make a LOT of sense! Mr mild child himself!

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Scott Ingham said:

Oh was it 😂😂 yeah that would make a LOT of sense! Mr mild child himself!

I love that - mild child.... 😂 😂. Classic!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Maybe Exeter factor in the cfs updates...... 

wk3.wk4_20231204.z500.png

Look poor to me.

Bftp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Previous wording 

It is possible that there will be further colder interludes, but these likely to be short lived at first. Perhaps a greater chance of a longer cold spell later in the period.

i’d  say that today is an upgrade as more specific wording 

The sentence that followed though, was, more likely mild - that's the bit that's a downgrade, but not worried at all yet, i think its just a timing issue.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The sentence that followed though, was, more likely mild - that's the bit that's a downgrade, but not worried at all yet, i think its just a timing issue.

It’s not even a timing issue. The key can’t predict with any confidence whatsoever just like everyone else on the planet what’s going to happen 3/4 weeks away. They can only say what’s the most “likely” thing to happen based on background signals ensembles/clusters of a variety of different models. And due to it being so far it this will fluctuate for the better or for the worst several times over. For me it’s an utter waste of time even reading what they think will happen. It’s just for fun

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I hadn’t read eXeters update ….

The chance of a colder spell of weather, with hazard such as snow and ice, does increase later in December and into the New Year period.

Those of us who’ve been doing this for longer than we’d care to admit see that as a very positive wording for coldies. They'll always sit on the side of not cold until the evidence is too strong to ignore it - look at the cold 

As you rightly say they rarely call a cold outlook. They did in 2010 and were spot on !!

The experienced on here know that a change in models usually occurs at 168hrs not out in la la land. In fact you would have to question is there any real benefit in looking at +300hr charts...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

An interesting mix of slants on the longer term today, from the Atlantic returns, winter is over, to some very bullish calls based on teleconnections.

Now that the (predicted) Atlantic return has happened, it is unreasonable to look for much in the next 10 days but then it does definitely get interesting, and that interest is to be found in the extended EPS, ECM 46, seasonal models, background signals.  None of it is in any way nailed on, so I would sound the note of caution, that it is perfectly possible for the WWB to happen, the MJO to head into favourable phases, AAM to rise, the strat vortex to weaken, an SSW to happen, and the UK to still be left in a prevailing southwesterly until the 1st of March!  

Well, it could, but I think we could justifiably say ‘we was robbed’ if it does!

Looking at tonight’s clusters, T192-T240:

IMG_7895.thumb.png.5af5e163c8d6f952f335024d44d3b16f.png

The first one looks fairly vortexy!  But, for balance, the second one starts to show the interest, that continues T264+:

IMG_7896.thumb.png.461c33c844d7c26d139d8f3a5ad7cbe7.png

Towards day 15 more blocked, even if the first two are still +NAO.  Again, blocking to our NE favoured, 3,4,5 looking good, 6 a snapshot of the Azores Scandi link up at day 15.  Let’s get some of this into the reliable over the next week and take it from there.

ECM 46 take on the MJO:

IMG_7897.thumb.png.9e43cc5d063f527165e2ff038bd4fc64.png

It’s heading the right way, but could do with more amplification, so this fickle beast is not a done deal yet.  

The 10hPa zonal winds continue to weaken:

IMG_7898.thumb.png.1021c6fb6f38013f47c4724b5a9a8f4a.png

I think given the timescales involved, I’m more interested in noticing how the top of the chart (high winds) is being vacated, rather than the number going for the SSW.  This suggests a high probability of a weak strat vortex, and taken in tandem with the expected favourable trop evolution, the disruption of a SSW may not what we want to happen at the very earliest opportunity because it risks shuffling the deck.  We don’t have any choice, of course!

Great summary as always Mike!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.8cee63bd5bb87d1ab4d3344c81d3f3b5.png

GULP.......

I can not believe what i have just looked at

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
50 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Previous wording 

It is possible that there will be further colder interludes, but these likely to be short lived at first. Perhaps a greater chance of a longer cold spell later in the period.

i’d  say that today is an upgrade as more specific wording 

I agree entirely, it's fascinating how we all read things according to how we choose to do at the time whether it be mood, emotions, it plays a part, but personally I'd say it's an upgrade comparing one another but best we dont hinge on every word its hard enough in winter in hear as it is 😪

• Like 1