Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Noooooooooo!  That’ll scupper it!

I think you misunderstood.

I meant tell her she won't see me for the next week 🤣

Alternatively tell her if she wants me ill be on meteociel 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
4 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Yep, think got talking slightly at cross purposes. I thought there was a suggestion that there could be a direct effect on surface weather, rather than just what we predict. Models would of course be affected if there were major disruptions e.g. to GPS and/or power outages.

Yeah I think we did. My point was that model predictions such as the infamous cold chase that we all crave this time of year could well be skewed because of it. Especially the last two days. So yeah the prediction and not the actual outcome. Which causes alot of toys to be thrown around in here.

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Yeah I think we did. My point was that model predictions such as the infamous cold chase that we all crave this time of year could well be skewed because of it. Especially the last two days. So yeah the prediction and not the actual outcome. Which causes alot of toys to be thrown around in here.

From some reading I've just done, the big impact would be from an Earth-directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME). That impact is still uncertain though, and would likely take a day or two if it does happen.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

From some reading I've just done, the big impact would be from an Earth-directed Coronal Mass Ejection (CME). That impact is still uncertain though, and would likely take a day or two if it does happen.

Yeah same I just googled the same thing. Just goes to show how complicated our atmosphere actually can be at times. And I was just getting to grips with all the shortwave dramas. So much science we just don’t understand right now and to think there are still impacts that we still have not discovered 

amazing really

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

I’m sure these things have been blamed in the past for scuppering cold spells, the actual weather, not just the model output!  There was one case a few years back, someone will know when it was?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I’m sure these things have been blamed in the past for scuppering cold spells, the actual weather, not just the model output!  There was one case a few years back, someone will know when it was?

I imagine that is probably just wishful thinking. There is essentially no reliable evidence I've found of any such effect.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

I imagine that is probably just wishful thinking. There is essentially no reliable evidence I've found of any such effect.

Agree. 
from what I have read it only affects the predictions but not the actual weather on the ground. So more of a red herring couple of model related days then,normal service resumed.

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Agree. 
from what I have read it only affects the predictions but not the actual weather on the ground. So more of a red herring couple of model related days then,normal service resumed.

Yep, I think the lagged impacts would come along if we get a CME hit. But that's far from guaranteed, and even if it does hit it may not be a massive one sufficient to really disrupt things.

To take things back to the models, the ECM has just enough uncertainty to keep the south in the game for Christmas, but barely. I'll go with Halifax today for a West Yorkshire chart - not much better than the London one to be fair. Good luck to everyone in Scotland though, the Aberdeen chart looks more hopeful.

ecmwf-london-gb-516n-0e.thumb.png.9732dcade7e84b84f8f2eb5103ca5b6d.png ecmwf-halifax-gb-536n-2w.thumb.png.f6c47550c3c42d4b83f813a7c071e699.png ecmwf-aberdeen-gb-572n-2.thumb.png.2236f4f050fec8e4c6c6abc2964700b3.png

No reason to change my expectation from yesterday really. Best chance of anything cold will be further north. Can't completely rule out a more widespread cold spell, but it's definitely a minority option within the ensembles, and quite a small minority the further south you go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
1 hour ago, mbrothers said:

Haha it’s always the same folk that are ‘shocked’ , ‘gutted’ ,   ‘Bewildered’ by the models yet they are the first to start the next chase . 

Why not it's an output model thread  ?

Yes most prefer cold/ snow in winter. 

The fact we have this excitement in the 1st month of winter is good. 

• Like 6

Posted

Last one tonight

12z EC120

image.thumb.png.b801c1c7da552834c0b7a401323d8da8.png

18Z ICON 120

image.thumb.png.2a308fa9b4b51ae02ffd682e618d0b9f.png

GFS 12Z had the low next to Portugal helping prop up the Atlantic high and now ICON has joined it.

EC doesn't.. 

I think that's positive ..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Last one tonight

12z EC120

image.thumb.png.b801c1c7da552834c0b7a401323d8da8.png

18Z ICON 120

image.thumb.png.2a308fa9b4b51ae02ffd682e618d0b9f.png

GFS 12Z had the low next to Portugal helping prop up the Atlantic high and now ICON has joined it.

EC doesn't.. 

I think that's positive ..

Yes good ICON more energy South and stronger low south of Greenland which will add to the subsequent northerly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, snowbob said:

I’m sure this is model related but I have just read that the sun has just erupted the biggest solar flare in years. To the point that the met office are monitoring a possible geometric storm on the 17th of December. Surely that wil be having an impact on the models right now. I believe I read a while a go that solar flares can scupper and confuse models to the point they fluctuate from mild to cold outcomes quite frequently.

Hopefully not like the Carrington Event back in the late 1800s ! Took out all the Victorian infrastructure.  Today ,it would take out just about everything the modern technical world  we depend on.......😲.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

The 12 z Anomalies and the latest Cpc 6 to 10 day which just about includes the 25th are..if my understanding is correct.. showing a stiff west north westerly on Christmas day with northern areas seeing some wintery weather in particular however further south couldnt be ruled out ...exposed north western high ground favoured ..

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_41(1).thumb.png.17a8694ee7602607d0651f6ab4377c12.png

eps_z500a_nhem_41(2).thumb.png.f5ab8644ae9f6c2d3a0bb8b0d2e84c60.png

610day.03(6).thumb.gif.ef440ff1332b740dd4e2609f93d2bd6c.gif

...of note is the height anomaly over Canada/ North America and also the Iberian height anomaly which is still plaguing the output....

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Hopefully not like the Carrington Event back in the late 1800s ! Took out all the Victorian infrastructure.  Today ,it would take out just about everything the modern technical world  we depend on.......😲.

The Met seems to think it'll be a bit of a storm in a teacup. 

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Latest space weather forecasts, including solar activity, flares and storms. Aurora forecasts for the Northern and Southern Hemisphere.

Space Weather Forecast Headline: High activity with further Moderate flares likely, and chance of Strong flares (R1-R3). G1 Minor Storms possible from Coronal Mass ejection (CME) arrivals Days 1-2 (16-17 Dec). Initial assessment of Strong flare CME gives a chance of G1-G2 early Day 3 (17 Dec).  

For reference, a moderate storm is considered to be of no/negligible public concern.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
2 hours ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

I would definitely take a read of Matt's post. Looks like cyclongenesis could bring a few surprises next week. 

Winter 1983/ 84 an El Nino year I think , very strong positive NAO around Christmas time . It was a very green stormy Christmas. 

New years day into 2nd bomb cyclongenesis  brought us a  very strong NLy and blizzards . Low pressure sunk right down from north all over the country. 

Not a SSW,  beasterly, reversal of winds on sight. 

I'm sure you guys have access to the synoptics . Check it out... 2.1.84  to 5.1.84  you'll see what I mean 

Found it....

1984 was a very zonal active winter and it brought very wintry stuff at times. 

Like Matt said this set up we cannot dismiss . Its going to spring surprises over the weekend. 

Below is December 1983 followed by January 1984 

Screenshot_2023-12-15-20-56-07-87_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b122.thumb.jpg.fe959e82dd55338de6a6739698e88a91.jpgScreenshot_2023-12-15-20-58-36-14_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b122.thumb.jpg.f8b9ba72a6643e0ff794be325bd8b0c8.jpg

This is today's 

h500slp.thumb.png.1bf35f5c83abdaee6e863d4b9b56a0b8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
25 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

The Carrington  event was a G5 storm. I think this time we're  talking G2  maximum. Im curious  though as to whether these events do affect our weather,same as sunspot numbers. Depending on what you read depends on the answer.! 

• Like 2

Posted

Nice big gap between Greenland and Canada.. esb low not phasing. Low near Portugal… that’s in theory should make this an interesting 18z in mo..let’s see…

image.thumb.png.60d6ab242840850836226ddbfe070f0b.png

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

Nice big gap between Greenland and Canada.. esb low not phasing. Low near Portugal… that’s in theory should make this an interesting 18z in mo..let’s see…

image.thumb.png.60d6ab242840850836226ddbfe070f0b.png

Agreed, and some seriously cold air south of Greenland , could land perfectly for Xmas day again. We aren’t deep FI now.