Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

There is still way to much Shannon entropy over Xmas but this morning I can't help but feel it's slipping away now.

Like you I'm more concerned about the longer term now.

I do hope something hasn't gone wrong with the background drivers ,surely the wintry potential suggested late Dec early Jsn wasn't predicated on the MJO ...

Did shannon ever work behind bar in travelers arms Sheffield 😐😐😐Relax folks its only 18th December 👍

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

You just know at some point to really put the nail in the coffin, the US will eventually see the cold return and lock us into more wind and rain as the jet fires up.

This month has been a huge opportunity to hit something in terms of cold, and we still can’t get things to fall for us. Let’s hope something happens come the new year, and we’re not still saying the same come February yet again!

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
17 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

This is what makes it all the more frustrating…vortex has not set up shop in Greenland at all thus far.. and we still can’t catch a break…

My point is that there will be more opportunities. 👍 wow there’s some proper doom in here this morning. 😩 

IMG_0434.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

My point is that there will be more opportunities. 👍 wow there’s some proper doom in here this morning. 😩 

There will be more opportunities for sure.

I think the mood is despondent because a lot of the older members have seen ,time and time again over the years, a tonne of potential but very sparce picking when it comes to results on the ground for us.

We do have NINO / eQBO and the destructive IOD is in decline so I agree with you that we will see further opportunities..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

This Winter does have features of classic mild El Nino winters. Warm September, November cold spell with a rapid strengthening of the zonal flow and development of the Azores high into December.

Rather than to the extent of 2015 and 2019 there is a slight tripole and blocking signal therefore the magnitude of mild will probably be shy of winter 2015/2019, with slight tendency towards 2014/15 and 2018/19. Logically a halfway house which would mean CETs in winter months between 5 and 6C, with any proper cold limited to Scotland, and snow chances still fairly widely due to scope for brief cold zonal interludes one of which we may see around Christmas and around the new year.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 6

Posted

Its the constant modelling of the Euro high after Christmas which is turning into a bit of a worry... It may be 10 days or so away but its a constant theme of the latest gfs runs and now ECM is in range of that time period.  

GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Its the constant modelling of the Euro high after Christmas which is turning into a bit of a worry... It may be 10 days or so away but its a constant theme of the latest gfs runs and now ECM is in range of that time period.  

GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

Precisely why I'm despondent. 

As soon as we see a signal for Euro warmth highs they seem to gather momentum,yet when we see charts full of potential at say the day 10 range,they nearly always get watered down to nothing.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

image.thumb.png.7f594a4e2a913a0a4e713df85c5bb3b8.png Bugger! - heralds the inevitable arrival of Mother in law!

You can't help thinking  if us coldies collectively fell into one giant barrel full of t*ts we'd all come up sucking our thumbs!

Posted
5 minutes ago, KTtom said:

GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

Absolutely right.

The persistence of this high is the most notable feature of model outputs recently.

I think if this were a Scandinavia High, or a mid-Atlantic High, or a Greenland High it would be the talk of the town. This kind of high can be very persistent and there’s no easy route to UK cold with it stuck there.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Absolutely right.

The persistence of this high is the most notable feature of model outputs recently.

I think if this were a Scandinavia High, or a mid-Atlantic High, or a Greenland High it would be the talk of the town. This kind of high can be very persistent and there’s no easy route to UK cold with it stuck there.

I said before I believe we are seeing signs of a very persistent Bartlett forming. It's moving around yes but no high pressure is static all highs do this.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
49 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ens haven’t really promised anything notable whereas the ops have 

it was the ens that showed the Atlantic heights pushing back across to our south whilst the ops were often looking for something way deeper on the trough 

It’s a squib …….

Damp squid for Xmas dinner...nicely cooked, one hopes. 

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I said before I believe we are seeing signs of a very persistent Bartlett form. It's moving around yes but no high pressure is static all highs do this.

Yes and Paul B******* (almost a swear word on here!) said he once counted 8 anticyclones one after another in a single winter that were collectively eponymous. They move around a bit as you say but the blasted thing keeps re-appearing.

Still early days and it may all change but after a very promising start to December it’s an incredible turnaround. We’ve lost all of the cold pooling and northern blocking is currently absent. 

Someone mentioned climate drivers, which is a different topic but relates to the model outputs. How often in recent years have we seen all this model promise get destroyed by warming?

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I said before I believe we are seeing signs of a very persistent Bartlett forming. It's moving around yes but no high pressure is static all highs do this.

When Bartlett comes for Christmas he generally doesn't leave until well into the new year. Its amazing how in recent years we are always in exactly the same position running into the holiday period.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Yes and Paul B******* (almost a swear word on here!) said he once counted 8 anticyclones one after another in a single winter that were collectively eponymous. They move around a bit as you say but the blasted thing keeps re-appearing.

Still early days and it may all change but after a very promising start to December it’s an incredible turnaround. We’ve lost all of the cold pooling and northern blocking is currently absent. 

Someone mentioned climate drivers, which is a different topic but relates to the model outputs. How often in recent years have we seen all this model promise get destroyed by warming?

Often happens in El Nino years, warm September was a giveaway aswell. EQBO + El Nino combination works in our favour a little though.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Spot on.

It feels like the wheels are falling off at a rate of knots.

We are relying on the more positive background drivers but if anything NWP is hurtling towards a Euro warmth high  +AO/NAO..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Model promise has gone previously on numerous occasions. People can attribute it to whatever they like. Imo the computer models, much improved as they’re, still struggle to predict past T240 for sure. 

I’ve seen most out put for the last 18 years or so, was various names on here before but forgot passwords etc so just set up as new as it was easier for me🤣, trust me I’ve seen many a potential cold period go “wrong”. 

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Precisely why I'm despondent. 

As soon as we see a signal for Euro warmth highs they seem to gather momentum,yet when we see charts full of potential at say the day 10 range,they nearly always get watered down to nothing.

Is a Euro high plaguing our winter what  the glosea seasonal progged for the winter months ?

Edited by Bricriu

Posted
Just now, Bricriu said:

Is Euro high plaguing our winter what  the glosea seasonal progged for the winter months ?

Glosea has flipped to +NAO /AO for January I believe.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Forget Where’s Wally, the question is where’s winter?

According to GFS Christmas Day looks set to have an absence of cold across 80%+ of the inhabited Northern Hemisphere, with even huge swathes of central Russia seeing temps well above average. 
Eastern Russia and N China buck the overall mild picture, but even there temps looks pretty close to average, so it’s not just the UK that seems to have lost almost complete contact of winter this December.

IMG_5591.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, TillyS said:

Indeed, and before the the euro high was established, Spain broke its all time December high on the 12th December with 29.9c in Malaga. Much is talked about scandi cold pooling earlier in the December, no one it appears was looking the other way. Month after month of record high breaking temperatures across Europe. Of course that in itself is not a driver of our weather now?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Glosea has flipped to +NAO /AO for January I believe.

A disaster. It really feels like we could be here in mid January still looking for signs of a colder weather in the extended. I really hope met4forecast is incorrect about us having to wait till the next mjo cycle in February for cold . He has gone quiet since his last post.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Often happens in El Nino years, warm September was a giveaway aswell. 

A warm September doesn't equate to a mild winter, there is no physical mechanism linking the two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1