Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Amused myself today by clearing the culverts and gullies down the lane and if by magic the roads free of running water ,if only some council or utility company existed to perform such tasks 😂

Hope you put temporary lights up first and got 6 of your mates to stand there in hi viz looking at their phones while you did the clearing😂

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Hope you put temporary lights up first and got 6 of your mates to stand there in hi viz looking at their phones while you did the clearing😂

lol old bell staff jacket ,fencing tongs wrecking bar and shovel 😂 Oh, and a Jack Russell to supervise 

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Are we about to have one of those flips from very wet to very dry.. very common in recent years.. 

I dearly hope so 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Models pointing to a lengthy cold spell starting the weekend ,just my luck i'm off to Cape Verde next week for 11 days of African Sun,mustn't grumble though😜

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spurry said:

Models pointing to a lengthy cold spell starting the weekend ,just my luck i'm off to Cape Verde next week for 11 days of African Sun,mustn't grumble though😜

No you shouldn’t ,lol enjoy ,you’ll make Ian jealous 😂

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Spurry said:

Enjoy some warmer sunny weather ☀️ 🏝️ 🐠 

My brother that’s been here over new years from Costa Rica is there in March looking at a business opportunity… have to let us know what you think… if they do move there will definitely visit… they left us today to stay in an air b&b near Crich for a couple of days r&r from the mayhem….

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
17 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

No you shouldn’t ,lol enjoy ,you’ll make Ian jealous 😂

This time last year we were ready to pack for a week of winter sun in Boa Vista CV.

sod all to look forward to this January other than darkness and a will it, won’t it cold spell.

Spurry, enjoy yourselves and don’t worry about the odd flake of snow that may fall in the northwest.

• Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Enjoy some warmer sunny weather ☀️ 🏝️ 🐠 

My brother that’s been here over new years from Costa Rica is there in March looking at a business opportunity… have to let us know what you think… if they do move there will definitely visit… they left us today to stay in an air b&b near Crich for a couple of days r&r from the mayhem….

We've been twice before to Sal , it's very barren but so friendly.This time we're going to Boa Vista which is less developed.As much as like the cold in Winter ,I will take the hot sun anyday of the year

4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

This time last year we were ready to pack for a week of winter sun in Boa Vista CV.

sod all to look forward to this January other than darkness and a will it, won’t it cold spell.

Spurry, enjoy yourselves and don’t worry about the odd flake of snow that may fall in the northwest.

Ill look in from time to time ,hopefully see some nice wintry scenes from my beach bed

Edited by Spurry
  • Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, Spurry said:

We've been twice before to Sal , it's very barren but so friendly.This time we're going to Boa Vista which is less developed.As much as like the cold in Winter ,I will take the hot sun anyday of the year

Ill look in from time to time ,hopefully see some nice wintry scenes from my beach bed

We went to Sal in September, as you say barren and at that time of year hot, but really enjoyed it.

less to do in Boa Vista but this is a lovely time of year to go to CV.

which hotel are you going to.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Already going to feel bitter early next week and to think this is just the start of it lol. 🥶🥶

Screenshot_20240104-003632.thumb.png.87139c0d1b3a21673e1ed38744fc16d4.png

• Like 6

Posted

Peeeeeing it down again🤬

• Like 5

Posted

Since and including Christmas Day, a staggering 91.9mm has been recorded for the region. That's slightly wetter than the equivalent period in 2015-16.

To put it into context, if next April was to record that amount of rain, it would the 12th wettest April on record for the region!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
15 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Admitted again and having op tomorrow so fingers crossed for the best.

Hope all goes well Kasim..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's no surprise that the A555 Airport Bypass is still closed this morning with the usual flooding at the usual place since early yesterday, and the rain that was coming in off the Irish Sea is gradually beginning to move north with 'promised' clear skies from Midday onwards. The Low Pressure further to our south could pass across the North Midlands into the evening but models show it continually taking a more southern track throughout the day.

• Like 5

Posted
11 hours ago, iand61 said:

We went to Sal in September, as you say barren and at that time of year hot, but really enjoyed it.

less to do in Boa Vista but this is a lovely time of year to go to CV.

which hotel are you going to.

RIU Karamboa

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Finally, a nice bright dog walk this morning. Can definitely feel a change coming, thankfully. Although there was some heavy rain during the night that woke me. Clear skies to the north at the moment and the sun coming up.

• Like 7

Posted
27 minutes ago, tricol said:

Finally, a nice bright dog walk this morning. Can definitely feel a change coming, thankfully. Although there was some heavy rain during the night that woke me. Clear skies to the north at the moment and the sun coming up.

Nice to see no rain!!! Mad isn't it how a bit of sun brightens your mood. Enjoy the walk I'm sure the dog will appreciate it too not getting soaked 🤣 least it will be dry and cold for a good while now 👍

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Well he has short legs, so he gets soaked either way 😂

Yea, it is amazing what the sun can do for your mood, I really need it this time of year. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, tricol said:

Well he has short legs, so he gets soaked either way 😂

Yea, it is amazing what the sun can do for your mood, I really need it this time of year. 

🤣🤣🤣 poor little fella can't win 🤣🤣🤣Yeah it's great. This time of year it's much needed . 

• Like 5

Posted

Nice to see a proper sunrise this morning, only the third I believe since before Christmas. And, fingers crossed, the dry weather will stay with us all day, helping the ground and roads to dry out a bit after the rain of the past few days. Hopefully for us, the showers will stay north of us and the yellow weather warning rain will stay south. 

• Like 5

Posted

Oh for some sun here .   Still showery rain and cloud.   11.1 mm picked up this morn. Now 59.6 mm for Jan already.   Land is an utter squelch.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Since and including Christmas Day, a staggering 91.9mm has been recorded for the region. That's slightly wetter than the equivalent period in 2015-16.

To put it into context, if next April was to record that amount of rain, it would the 12th wettest April on record for the region!

Surprising our region has escaped extensive flooding. The amount of rain seems comparable with last Feb and with the ground saturated I think we've been very fortunate.

It'd be interesting to know what's caused the deluge we've had over the past 6 months. We do seem to be in a cycle of weather patterns becoming stuck. Certainly frustrating when we're in a wet one! 

Maybe I'm just getting old however I recall that for many years our dominant weather pattern was a westerly regime of troughs and ridges complete with crystal clear returning polar maritime air and the occasional high pressure. Since 2010 there does seem to have been a fundamental shift and the only reason I can think of is climate change.

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sun dog said:

Surprising our region has escaped extensive flooding. The amount of rain seems comparable with last Feb and with the ground saturated I think we've been very fortunate.

It'd be interesting to know what's caused the deluge we've had over the past 6 months. We do seem to be in a cycle of weather patterns becoming stuck. Certainly frustrating when we're in a wet one! 

Maybe I'm just getting old however I recall that for many years our dominant weather pattern was a westerly regime of troughs and ridges complete with crystal clear returning polar maritime air and the occasional high pressure. Since 2010 there does seem to have been a fundamental shift and the only reason I can think of is climate change.

Heated seas to blame I reckon.  We are on the edge of an increasingly warmed huge Atlantic.  Those of us on the western edge, specially in the hills,  get the  powerful impact of the extra warm and damp unstable airstreams coming in from all points west.     It's a bit like being on a steamy bathroom.    Similar effects and record breaking rainfall in coastal regions of the world elsewhere.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I often think in our north west region is shaped like an armchair -- with the Lake District fells forming one arm, the N Wales mountains the other and the Pennines the back.  So we offer a welcome entry for wet airstreams from the west and rain can linger here.

• Like 5