Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
38 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Can that wait until Jan 6th? A bit of Christmas cheer will brighten up what sounds like a very grim 4 days coming up. 🙂

No, no and no 🙃.  It's Dec down day. Get it gone.

Inside decs coming down tomorrow morning during the deluge.

Edited by jtay
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Happy New Year Everyone 

Decs and tree put away for another year so living room looks a bit bland and dull without all the lights but Christmas is over and its back to work tomorrow.

Dry morning, so once decs were down and back in the loft got out for a walk before yet more rain set in for the rest of the day.

Looks like there’s hope on the horizon weatherwise with drier and hopefully sunny weather not far away.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Inside decorations down here too apart from the tree which will be down tomorrow. Outside lights still on tonight but they'll be down tomorrow as long as there's enough dry weather later on in the day.

Had a spell of really quite heavy rain just now and like the last few evenings it's quite windy again. 

• Like 1

Posted

Bless you, you heathens, for thou art busted...I've notified you local vicars, who'll be round in the next day or so.

"In the Christian religion, the Christmas season ends on The Feast of Epiphany, which is celebrated on January 6. This marks the date when the Three Kings arrived to bring gifts to baby Jesus, and reportedly dictates the best time to take down your holiday decorations."

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Bless you, you heathens, for thou art busted...I've notified you local vicars, who'll be round in the next day or so.

"In the Christian religion, the Christmas season ends on The Feast of Epiphany, which is celebrated on January 6. This marks the date when the Three Kings arrived to bring gifts to baby Jesus, and reportedly dictates the best time to take down your holiday decorations."

As I always tell the m-i-l, who has a vicar in the family; never trust anyone who lies for a living. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Oh good it falls on a Saturday. How convienient!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Seriously, I do wonder about the motivation for taking decorations down before the 6th and why it's become popular in recent times compared to, say, the 80s.

The evenings are still dark and the weather is often dull and wet - to me, keeping decorations up cheers up what is otherwise a rather grim time of year. It definitely seems to have shifted over the years - in the 80s it was rare for anyone to take the decorations down before the 6th (IMX).

On the other hand, starting Christmas on the Monday following Remembrance Sunday, which seems to be the modern pattern at least in the shops and city centres is too early. Modern UK culture has it all wrong, IMO. Another symptom of the problem (IMO) is the schools going back today, whereas in the 80s we went back on the 6th on one occasion and normally later than that. I realise I am being a bit "inverse Bah Humbug", but there you go. I also get grumpy about Christmas starting too early. 😉

Here (Greece) Jan 6th is a much bigger festival than in the UK, and the tradition here is to keep them up until then. Good!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Chances are we’ll still have our decorations up in April 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms
Posted (edited)

Our decorations may come down on their own if we get the winds predicted later on 🫣

Screenshot_20240102-092755.thumb.png.b2737c91f4c30294be61a5ba70eb9fde.png

Edited by Andrew_WSM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Removing Christmas decorations on 12th night is a relatively modern practice from the 19th century, as the Christmas season ends at Candlemas on the 2nd Feb. So I enjoy the fruits of my decorating labour during those dark dreary winter days of January too.

Interesting too is the fact people grumble about the season starting too early. Again, advent used to start 40 days before Christmas: it was a period of fasting before the feasting commenced on the big day itself. Although outside of the more religious western communities I doubt the fasting gains much traction. 😊

So I am definitely on the side of enjoying the twinkling lights, glitter and cheer for as long as possible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Another vile day. 🌧️

Which one lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good Morning all,

Plenty of flooding in this part of the world, it was a wet bike ride into work this morning but nothing too extreme, I wonder what Henk will be like for the journey home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Filthy day, and due to get worse - hard to believe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Overcast Windy and wet. Not a good day for shopping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, misty, slightly damp

Very windy here in mid Cornwall - you can actually hear the tiles on the roof lift and ripple along the track of the wind as it gusts overhead, like when you riffle a deck of cards. 

I'm scared.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, TammasinWhiskers said:

riffle a deck of cards.

That’s a new word to me but I can hear the sound you mean, very onomatopoeic! 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning All, what a yuk morning, can we go back to November 2023 style weather, so far this year it's been rubbish, Anyway, the overnight low of 10.9°C at: 07:03 has struggled up to 12.4°C, RH97% with a fresh breeze in from the SW.

From Above

Looking brighter to the west

Screenshot2024-01-02113156.thumb.png.65a02f3ab5796bb0e7d69ba1d04ca780.png

On Golden sands, plenty of white water today

Screenshot2024-01-02113310.thumb.png.15b015b6883ba8a3ad6d3d1ae21431cf.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Thanks 1

Posted

74 mph gust at Newquay airport.

Screenshot_20240102-113855-068.thumb.png.a2091fe4bd380734b508a33837c7d40c.png

Edited by jtay
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Coastal monitoring station in Perranporth have so far recorded 87 mph gusts, and NCI Gwennap Head 79mph and Kernow Weather Team weather station in Illogan 69mph.

image.thumb.png.d00fe33b0a238a2cad254394d06b7e1f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, TammasinWhiskers said:

Coastal monitoring station in Perranporth have so far recorded 87 mph gusts, and NCI Gwennap Head 79mph and Kernow Weather Team weather station in Illogan 69mph.

image.thumb.png.d00fe33b0a238a2cad254394d06b7e1f.png

Gull Rock, Treknow recent chart

Screenshot2024-01-02120753.thumb.png.4bd1b2beca315b754fbd8546da11c58b.png

• Like 1

Posted

Anecdotal, not data backed, but dan c on X: "Stormy porthleven this morning. @metoffice @BBCCornwall @bbcweather @itvweather @ITVCharlieP @BBCSpotlight @itvwestcountry @Cornish_Weather @weatherchannel @CornwallLive @PirateFM @beauty_cornwall https://t.co/xyriAz0nst"

It's a link to a Twitter video taken this morning in Porthleven. 

We're inland, and sheltered. The jackdaws have just taken off from next door's chimney pots again, even though it's still gusty. I think it's starting to slack off a bit,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's windy here, but not that bad. In fact, it was windier a few nights back when there was no warning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms

Made the decision to take the outdoor decorations down just in case we get the very strong gusts, not too bad here currently though.