Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Frozen graupel on top of Woldgate this morning with the car reading -1.5c, steady away....

20240115_083037.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Snow showers here this morning, not much more than a covering so far, and given wind direction they are just clipping the coast and not getting more than a few miles inland. Bitterly cold, but sunny between the showers.

Edited by mike57
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

You will get a good stream of snow showers at some point between Tue - Thu. At your elevation will be cold enough for 100% settling snow for the most part, as you know doesn't take long for heavy snow showers to quickly accumulate in those conditions. I'm going 5-10cm for you.

Hope so , but don't really see it myself.   Somewhere like Shap looks likely to get a big fall tomorrow. 

Thursday evening might be better (UKV looks interesting) 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mike57 said:

Current view out of spare room/office window

20240115_100935.jpg

Can see the clouds from Carnaby but they keeps missing us and drift back out to sea 🤨

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Can see the clouds from Carnaby but they keeps missing us and drift back out to sea 🤨

Yes they are just clipping our little 'nose' of land, then running down the coast and hitting NE Norfolk, with nothing on land between the two.

• Like 1

Posted

I think it's going down to radar watching and we might miss for a few miles the "event" tomorrow up here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Overnight low of -1.6c and a high wind chill.  Out walking at Langsett Reservoir this morning, which was lovely in the sun but bitterly cold in the wind and shade.  I thought we might get an ice day today, but temps now upto 1.3c at 12.30.

IMG_9541.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Met thinks something's up.

New Warnings issued for Wednesday & Thursday. Wednesday one covers, everywhere in region bar a bit of South Yorkshire and East Yorkshire.

image.thumb.png.c8fcbeb2b0fa6a541a525b12f5caaf8e.png

Thursday one is a duplicate of Tomorrows, i.e. only Pennines.

Wednesdays - 'A band of sleet and snow is likely to continue to push across this area and towards the southeast during the first part of Wednesday. This could bring 1-2 cm of snow over the hills in the region, with a small chance of around 5 cm falling in one or two upland areas.'

Thursday - 'Generally many places in this area will only see 1-2 cm or so of snow, with any quickly melting on the immediate coastlines. However, where showers align, some narrow corridors could see 5-10 cm of snowfall. This most likely in parts of northwest England'

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Nice clear blue sky here, can see the clouds out in the sea if you look east, a cold 1.8C currently after a low of -0.7C. Bit disappointing to see Met mention snow mainly to high ground on Tuesday. 

Posted

Cold and sunny here in Cleethorpes, clouds to east full of snow but not pushing west 🤞

Posted
13 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Met thinks something's up.

New Warnings issued for Wednesday & Thursday. Wednesday one covers, everywhere in region bar a bit of South Yorkshire and East Yorkshire.

image.thumb.png.c8fcbeb2b0fa6a541a525b12f5caaf8e.png

I see that as Tuesday's original event/front from the north west as it starts from midnight Wednesday through to noon. Poor really as it states higher ground only and not expecting anything to settle at lower elevations, this week did unravel a bit with Monday seemingly likely to be the coldest day or at least the coldest upper air.

Edited by Matt Jones

Posted
1 hour ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I think it's going down to radar watching and we might miss for a few miles the "event" tomorrow up here. 

Really strong signal for lots of snowfall around Settle up to Shap area , been on most models for days.   Interesting to see if it pans out like that,  its only 30ish miles NW of here. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, clee_snow said:

Cold and sunny here in Cleethorpes, clouds to east full of snow but not pushing west 🤞

Unfortunately from a fairly promising position about a week ago where the forecast models were showing more of a direct northerly we have in reality ended up with NW winds today so those snow showers have stayed out in the north sea, todays synoptic chart has ended up with the pattern shoved just slightly east.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Really strong signal for lots of snowfall around Settle up to Shap area , been on most models for days.   Interesting to see if it pans out like that,  its only 30ish miles NW of here. 

I reckon METO is struggling like us to pinpoint the trajectory and intensity of streamers and fronts like the one tomorrow. It was January 2021 when a front stalled above us and gave nearly 30cm of snow while we were only under a very late yellow warning instead of an amber at least. 

Posted

It’s the only warning I’ve ever seen with no snow symbols for the warning days 🤦‍♂️ 

Posted

6 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

It’s the only warning I’ve ever seen with no snow symbols for the warning days 🤦‍♂️ 

Those symbols are notoriously bad aren't they, usually at odds with the descriptive forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Matt Jones said:

Those symbols are notoriously bad aren't they, usually at odds with the descriptive forecast.

Yes indeed. I tend to ignore them altogether. They're always add to the frustration. Heavy snow symbols -> Sunny outside and vice versa. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

No ice day today and not in any of the warnings this week. Very disappointing after all the excitement but we shall see.

Maybe see a little falling snow if we catch a shower here over the coming week but I was hoping we'd all see a decent covering for a few days. Seems unlikely at the moment though 😔

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
4 hours ago, Tim A said:

Hope so , but don't really see it myself.   Somewhere like Shap looks likely to get a big fall tomorrow. 

Thursday evening might be better (UKV looks interesting) 

I'm still going for 5-10cm for your location perhaps more, Once the showers align through the gaps of high ground to NW and W you will get hammered.

Like you say the Yorkshire dales further north and northwest will get battered. Maybe 20cm+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I hope somewhere in the region does well. I'll look forward to snow pics anyway 😁🌨️🤞

• Like 5

Posted

Local weather station reporting -3c at the moment, certainly feels it when ive just nipped out to shut gates, brrrr🥶

• Like 1

Posted

The radar looks a good 30-50miles south of the models which may bode better for South Yorkshire later on! I guess we’ll see!

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

The radar looks a good 30-50miles south of the models which may bode better for South Yorkshire later on! I guess we’ll see!

great news! I'm having snow withdrawals lol 

• Like 1