Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
12 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Strange I can't remember that one too much, but maybe I was too young and daft then to appreciate it ( though not that young - mid 20s lol ).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Looking at the radar I cannot see anything happening tonight for our region 

Posted

Next and maybe last chance is Thursday morning when winds become favourable for our area. Doubt they make it as far as me inland but others in here might get nice surprise. 

IMG_0681.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Overnight and tomorrow morning are our last chance in this current cold spell for snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

-5 here this morning. Definitely feels nice and fresh. Not expecting anything here now so will be looking onwards towards the end of January. Models maybe beginning to sniff out some amplification towards scandi. It would definitely suit us better to pull in some east/north east winds 

Posted

Places like Redcar and Whitby could be well placed for a bit of activity early tomorrow morning 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow and ice warning issued from 01:00 to 12:00 tomorrow

Occasional snow showers, some heavy, are likely to move south across parts of northeast England overnight and during Thursday morning, with a few also reaching Norfolk later.

1-3 cm of snow accumulating in places and possibly 4-7 cm over some hills of northeast England. The showers falling as sleet at times at the coast.

Icy stretches will also form on untreated surfaces

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2024-01-18&id=df0b466a-d84c-4b63-bedf-d828395efe24

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Snow and ice warning issued from 01:00 to 12:00 tomorrow

Occasional snow showers, some heavy, are likely to move south across parts of northeast England overnight and during Thursday morning, with a few also reaching Norfolk later.

1-3 cm of snow accumulating in places and possibly 4-7 cm over some hills of northeast England. The showers falling as sleet at times at the coast.

Icy stretches will also form on untreated surfaces

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2024-01-18&id=df0b466a-d84c-4b63-bedf-d828395efe24

Every chance early hours tomorrow morning of some beefy showers clipping us, maybe the last hurrah ( certainly for January ! ).

Posted
54 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Bitter start in Darlo currently -4.9c

It was -3.7c at 8am then went down to -4.2c by 8:30

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Couple of Amber's for snow in Scotland too, looking at their thread some areas up there have done well again.

Posted

We're in the warning zone for tomorrow morning but the met office app forecast has me at <5% chance of precipitation which is basically zero!

Posted
16 hours ago, Gizzy said:

Strange I can't remember that one too much, but maybe I was too young and daft then to appreciate it ( though not that young - mid 20s lol ).

Remember it well, went on for quite a few days, some times temp above freezing and sometimes below. Heavy snow showers and when temp dipped below freezing the snow drifted. Measured around 14" at it's deepest.

Posted
1 minute ago, Airedalejoe said:

Remember it well, went on for quite a few days, some times temp above freezing and sometimes below. Heavy snow showers and when temp dipped below freezing the snow drifted. Measured around 14" at it's deepest.

Oh to have another spell like that again next month.

I remember 2009/ 2010/2018, they were the memorable years for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Seems like it’s going to be a very close and frustrating near miss tomorrow morning,  Good luck the the areas closer to the sea, hope you get the snow fix and reported snow depths from the met. ❄️ ⛄🤞🏻

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Seems like it’s going to be a very close and frustrating near miss tomorrow morning,  Good luck the the areas closer to the sea, hope you get the snow fix and reported snow depths from the met. ❄️ ⛄🤞🏻

Reverse psychology?

Posted

Yeah I'll repeat what I said this morning that places like Redcar to Whitby look to get the bulk of activity. Think I'm a bit too far inland to catch anything so looking towards early February now

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Reverse psychology?

Not at all. I just can't see these showers coming this far inland, I even think Middlesbrough will get them. 👍

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Not at all. I just can't see these showers coming this far inland, I even think Middlesbrough will get them. 👍

Hope we all get lucky!

Posted

Just the way our luck has been going past winters. Just as we get the favoured wind and showers showing the west spoils the party and starts to push them back out. Surprised there is such a warning for our area BUT they are the professionals they know a lot more than me lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

You can see in the charts the wind direction buckling to what looks like a true northerly for a time in the early hours... before shifting to a NW later in the day.

The devil will be in the detail!  If it does make a northerly, how long for will determine which parts get some snow.  I would not be expecting anything inland at all.  Coastal regions favoured.  Especially N.Yorks.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

You can see in the charts the wind direction buckling to what looks like a true northerly for a time in the early hours... before shifting to a NW later in the day.

The devil will be in the detail!  If it does make a northerly, how long for will determine which parts get some snow.  I would not be expecting anything inland at all.  Coastal regions favoured.  Especially N.Yorks.

Being six miles from the coast, 100m asl and looking at the potential radar I am hoping we may just get to see a couple of beefy showers from around 5am, would be great if they could just penetrate a little further inland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Would you count the Lake District as far north? If so, that's where my friends staying at the moment and has sent me these. 

IMG-20240117-WA0007.thumb.jpg.df7cce6a9ba2ec2219e0d18e07667d87.jpg

IMG-20240117-WA0009.thumb.jpg.4144cc878ac0f476f837e9630fb95557.jpg

• Like 6