Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Spring 2024

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

To all…it’s great to see not just dry days but Mr sky blue days 😁

And to IrA252…..I hope your Nan enjoys her walk in King’s Brom ❤️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Yesterday was a great day, actually better than the forecast. I'd been expecting a sunny morning (tick) but then increasing cloud and gloom in the afternoon. Instead the sun was still shining, albeit not all the time, in the early evening. And on a Saturday, too!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Another lovely day again here with light winds and long sunny spells. Been out with the dogs and just refreshed with a cup of Yorkshire tea before I plant the seed potatoes. Then the cans in the fridge will be involved while I cook a pork stir fry..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It's turned out to be a lovely weekend with lots of sunshine. A nice surprise seeing as I thought we were in for a settled but cloudy weekend. Looks like the MO got it wrong again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Lovely weekend. Temperatures could struggle to get above 6C tomorrow 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been bigging up tomorrows washout, think non weather folk may be caught out, they'll just assume it's going to be 'nice' from now until Sept

tomorrow could be wettest day of the year for N of this region

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I remember Atlantic 252 models are predicting mainly light rain with totals around 5-10mm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

One of the nicest days of the year today, plenty of warm-ish sunshine.

Tomorrow looks grim though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Appalling day. I find these days are worse when you are full of cold. 

Rain, grey skies.. 6 degrees in late April. That's high pressure apparently 🤷

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Neil, next year is a holiday, falls in holidays with the bank holiday on the 21st, schools go back 28th

Aye, snowshine, many days in Jan and Feb felt warmer, as 12 degrees will feel much warmer in winter than on 22 April due to muggy airstream from the S/SW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A nice St George's Day here. (Not really keen on it being a bank holiday, as our holidays are too concentrated in spring as it is.) More sunshine than I was expecting - it's sunny right now - and no rain. Not very warm (max 12.3 °C) but I can forgive a lot when it's sunny! A marked improvement on the dross of yesterday, certainly.

Posted

Agree our bank holidays are too concentrated.

Our national day should be one though,perhaps we should change it.

decent day here, a fair bit of sunshine and most importantly dry

• Like 1

Posted

25th April , windscreens frozen over again!🥶

4th/5th time last fortnight 

more than feb 🤪

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

As the weather has been "non-existent" recently, i've been searching around for various meteorological articles on past weather events both locally and nationally in my spare time.

Below is pretty much everything I have found for the Midlands, plus the odd widespread event such as the Beast from the East. Some events found range from the winter of 1947, winter of 1981-82 in areas of the Midlands, late 2010 snowfall, to various severe thunderstorm events such as 28th June 2012, the July 2005 Birmingham tornado, and more recently the thunderstorms last June. Happy reading!

Snow Birmingham on 28 January 2004.pdf SNOWSTORMS, 23–26 APRIL 1981.pdf winter of 1947 in Halesowen West Midlands.pdf Beast from the east 2018 historical precedents and perspective.pdf Beast from the east 2018 cold pool and snowfall.pdf winter of 2009 2010 compared prev winters.pdf late 2010 cold and snow.pdf heavy wet snowfall on 28 December 2020.pdf winter of 1981 1982 in Tenbury Wells.pdf Late June 1995 cold front reaches Birmingham.pdf 2 thunderstorms Birmingham summer 1994.pdf August 1996 flood event Ashow Warwickshire.pdf Four SW Birmingham flood events 1998 2000.pdf july 2005 birmingham tornado.pdf Thunderstorms 11 June 2023.pdf supercells 28 June 2012.pdf Snowfall of 18 December 2010 south Midlands.pdf

hailstorm Leicestershire 20 July 2021.pdf

Edited by Metwatch
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

24 April 2024 Time-Lapse

Posted

Utterly miserable this lunchtime. Persistent rain and 9 °C. Might as well be January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Sleet mixed in the heavier spells of rain earlier this morning. Obvious on a car windscreen and just discernible without one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Blowing quite a hoolie out there.. didn't expect it to be quite so breezy. At least it's a far bit warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It's currently sunny and 18 Celsius with a small breeze and comfrotable humidity. Let's have more of this please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Today is what it's all about. More sunshine than cloud and a reasonable temperature. A good end to what has otherwise been a dreary month.

Can't say the start of May looks particularly inspiring though, plenty of cloud in the forecast. 

Edited by Snowshine

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow