Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Could be a rippper!!. Could just do with a drop rather than floating low country dynamic! Then the polar air literally meets the Chanel feature!!!… possible news maker in the offing…

A8E58BCD-B781-4B0E-9097-B429B60A6351.png

77637F01-7D27-4341-9940-FA07367298E2.png

Ohhh err 👊👊👊gfs 12z ☝️☝️🤘

1E4D9E23-F0C8-4CB0-85AC-680D9BA5E86D.png

56003935-3680-4703-99D5-2FC2469FC771.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

That’s very interesting she said that about it being pulled apart from below, Matt, because I have noticed that the shown splits have seemed to be from the trop upwards, rather than top down, and said as much on here. 

Unchartered territory perhaps Mike? Perhaps the pv could fall in a way that its not usually accustomed too!

Edited by MATTWOLVES 3
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Boooooom UKMO - maybe the GFS will open the block back up 

IMG_2664.gif

It would do better if it didn’t close it in the first place.  Really think GFS has this wrong!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Booooooooom yes I’mby but im chasing my life out of this 😂😂⛄

IMG_2666.png

IMG_2667.png

Wow, that would be genuinely heart-breaking IMBY... I'll just have to try and be happy for the Southerners haha.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I don’t know!! The gfs is evolutionary sharp/ reliable out to 180.. then it’s a dogs dinner!! It’s trait n, fold after that is a confused mess!!.. craving energy’s response and default mode is now looking real!!!- miss management for sure .

A06ABE41-E88B-4841-8383-15005F00CDE0.png

2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It would do better if it didn’t close it in the first place.  Really think GFS has this wrong!

💯 …imo

• Like 2

Posted

GFS and UKMO you both could say are fantastic runs but for different reasons, the UKMO possibly colder but the GFS does produce a snow event for the midlands, would like those uppers a tad lower though just to be on the safe side but it's all how the models deal with that shortwave coming down from Iceland. Whilst the GFS12Z run did make it more shallower it still introduced too much less cold for my likening. Scotland goes from uppers of -12 to around -3 -4hpa in the space of 12 hours!

So overall some more slight upgrades of the initial northerly in terms of the cold and still the threat even if we get some less cold air a reload is possible and if not, then a frontal snow event in the south is possible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms
Just now, GokouD said:

Wow, that would be genuinely heart-breaking IMBY... I'll just have to try and be happy for the Southerners haha.

Don't worry, it'll move again. I wouldn't be getting excited until a few days before if I was in the South. Its nice to look at but its a lottery at the minute, someone will hit the jackpot, but who? France or the South? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Ice Day said:

Accumulated snowfall on the GFS at 168 has pretty much the whole country in on the act

image.thumb.png.8ee58c98c7b98002582acd380b764aee.png

These have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, of course.  However, this is definitely an option on the table!

Absolute chaos in the models, and I'm loving every second!

It could be close in the fact that we are about to be attacked from all sides next week with a few snow events? 😃

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

The 168 chart which I can’t post looks primed on the GFS surface high over scandi! 

Won’t happen this time due to one of its random dartboard lows. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Accumulated snowfall on the GFS at 168 has pretty much the whole country in on the act

These have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, of course.  However, this is definitely an option on the table!

6/7CM in the south?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Don't worry, it'll move again. I wouldn't be getting excited until a few days before if I was in the South. Its nice to look at but its a lottery at the minute, someone will hit the jackpot, but who? France or the South? 

I agree. That low on the gfs seems too deep for me  the ukmo  has it shallower.  I expect it to travel through northern France. But as ever more runs needed 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

UKMO please...

GFS is good but unravels very quickly.i prefer longevity but each to their own of course 😁 ...

I think regardless of how things go beforehand there just seems to be a flattening thereafter!!!!we need to eek out as much as we can next week i think!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Yes, you will be missing out on all that rain 🌨️

Lot of warmth tied in with this system. Somewhere is going to get lucky but there is going to be some pretty warm air in with that system so its not a channel runner in the traditional sense. Band of snow on its northern flank could be quite narrow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

GEM too.

gem-16-210.png

gemfr-16-222.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

image.thumb.png.e723642dddacf36284aeef629fec5f33.png
scandi high inbound on this run

Nah, once GFS gets in a pickle like this you just have to let it get on with it. 

FI is probably day 6 at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

image.thumb.png.e723642dddacf36284aeef629fec5f33.png
scandi high inbound on this run

Not a chance 😀 against that mess to our north and north west

• Like 1