Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Nope, January 2nd 1976.....

What happened then?

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

This will stir things up - a cracking Feb on the way hopefully - and March. As per the long range METO really 🥶🥶🥶⛄

IMG_2753.png

All this potentially means is a -AO.

The form horse would be for the Trop PV to move into Canada and the States firing up the jet and leaving us under zonal conditions. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
11 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

What happened then?

Gusts to 90 mph to 100 mph across the Midlands and Northern England.  Very rare to get wind speeds of that kind inland . Probably a once in a lifetime wind storm! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

I get some February 2012 vibes with the big difference that in 2012 the big freeze was present over Russia. It looks like the beast from the East might retrogress. But it's a long way ahead.

ECMOPEU12_240_2.thumb.png.0419697febb6925929b90b2826a8fb39.png

Edit. The chart is januari 25th 2012. 

CFSR_1_2012012518_2.thumb.png.dfd51e55196c278dc20fcb25acf1b6f6.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 3

Posted

image.thumb.png.eca25bd6f87f0019e6af8ec859668f8c.png
12z still continues the theme of something dryer from the 24th onwards also PPN spikes dropping on each run at this rate it will look like a short lived unsettled period, where it’s clear at night will deliver frost etc. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
7 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Gusts to 90 mph to 100 mph across the Midlands and Northern England.  Very rare to get wind speeds of that kind inland . Probably a once in a lifetime wind storm! 

We got that in 1990 burns day storm in the south west, we also had some strong storms during winter I think in 2013 that were severe but not as severe as 1990.

I have noticed that gfs does tend to over blow these lows several days out but occasionally they get it right. Some exciting weather none the less hopefully. A cosy day indoors I think 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, SilverWolf said:

Interesting reading the thread.. Sure posts reflecting what some of the models are suggesting are being posted as is… but the big variation in possibilities are reflected in the posts. Very interesting times ahead, even this week (Wednesday still has interest in the south, and that’s not IMBY as it’s pretty unlikely for me). For the last week, and going forward, this has been a fascinating model watch for some years, even for someone like me who relies on the knowledge of others.  

That includes myself so yes it is interesting to find out what people can see in the model outputs 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We got that in 1990 burns day storm in the south west, we also had some strong storms during winter I think in 2013 that were severe but not as severe as 1990.

I have noticed that gfs does tend to over blow these lows several days out but occasionally they get it right. Some exciting weather none the less hopefully. A cosy day indoors I think 

It has support from the 0z meto, so I will keep an eye on this now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, sunnijim said:

I think we started like this in October before the Storm corrected South on future runs and effected Channel Isles and Northern France.

Depends on any belt of high pressure over the continent as to Sothward shifts.

GEM and ECM not interested so still an outlier solution anyway.

To be fair it does look similar, however that doesn't leave this area out of the woods.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It has support from the 0z meto, so I will keep an eye on this now.

It did, but the 12z has dropped it and ecm is still not interested.

Latest m.o thoughts for the weekend show a standard blustery day on Sunday.

If I was a betting man I would suggest GFS has gone off on one here and the weekend will pass without incident.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
1 minute ago, sunnijim said:

If I was a betting man I would suggest GFS has gone off on one here and the weekend will pass without incident.

Business as usual for GFS, the possibilities are often endlessly cataclysmic week in week out atm.......

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I’m confused. The 12z UKMO still has a pretty fiery squall line, no? Or did you mean a different model output? Here’s the 12z Met Office output:

Screenshot2024-01-15at19_42_24.thumb.png.d59bc57a652912ca86fc14f8e60d60d2.png

So GFS and UKMO both have something fairly stormy for some regions. ECM doesn’t it’s true. Maybe that’s what you were referring to. And, yes, the GFS does indeed seem to go off on one often with these storms.

Of note though, that I think the GFS has performed more accurately than the other two this past fortnight. 

Edited by TillyS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Re the Atlantic low , normally once things start correcting south they don’t stop.

That tends to happen though when you have strong blocking , in this instance the block is weakening .

So that’s why  we’ve seen these small north and southwards shifts and even at this stage given the margin for error that could be anything from 50-75 miles further north or south .

It could be a total non-event or bring a decent covering to southern coastal fringes .

Further north there’s that shortwave moving se and then after that further snow showers .

The cold air hangs on to Friday before we sadly see the PV taking its revenge ! 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
58 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

That's one angry looking pv on the ecm at 192hrs!! Stormy looks to be the outlook as far as is reliable!image.thumb.png.e49cf847948b3e4e78507beb4400df8c.png

That’s a runner LP and would be more violent than it appears due to the sharp pressure differential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Normally that was because it had the habit at 6-7 days out of dumping all the energy into a dartboard low without resolving that low into multiple centres and shortwaves.

This instance however... it already has a complex system for the longwave trough and has now put a frontal wave under the left exit of a jet streak in the mid atlantic on saturday evening - so very definitely one to keep an eye on! Those GFS gust charts are hopefully over egging the pudding for Wales and Western England but probably an idea to make sure the trampoline in the back garden is bolted down anyway!

windvector.webp

h500slp.webp

hgt300.webp

Edited by swebby
added charts
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

All this potentially means is a -AO.

The form horse would be for the Trop PV to move into Canada and the States firing up the jet and leaving us under zonal conditions. 

That's the spirit! 😁

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This is what we need to be seeing more of in the coming weeks.

image.thumb.png.24ad6882c01c43e2baa91f6dc300595e.png

• Like 9

Posted

I know these change a fair bit, but the EC46 does seem to be continuing to back away from its idea of HLB in February.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, TillyS said:

I’m confused. The 12z UKMO still has a pretty fiery squall line, no? Or did you mean a different model output? Here’s the 12z Met Office output:

Screenshot2024-01-15at19_42_24.thumb.png.d59bc57a652912ca86fc14f8e60d60d2.png

So GFS and UKMO both have something fairly stormy for some regions. ECM doesn’t it’s true. Maybe that’s what you were referring to. And, yes, the GFS does indeed seem to go off on one often with these storms.

Of note though, that I think the GFS has performed more accurately than the other two this past fortnight. 

My bad, I only checked lunchtime on Sunday ukmo wise, there seems to be a timing difference GfS early afternoon UKMO toward evening 21st.

• Like 1