Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

Anyone old enough to remember Bullseye on the telly might understand. Looking at some of the snowscenes on here(not everywhere) from a bone dry New Forest see Jim Bowens words...and this is what you could have won....spring to mind lol

• Like 6

Posted

Absolute non event here too meh 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Hopefully the more seasoned posters like @Kirkcaldy Weather might make comment on the implications for us if winds have shifted to easterly flow up high 

I see Met long range now mentioning a likelihood of winds from the East into February. Until recently had said possibility of winds from North or East.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, jon_d1983 said:

Hopefully the more seasoned posters like @Kirkcaldy Weather might make comment on the implications for us if winds have shifted to easterly flow up high 

I would love to hear too, . but if the winds shift even remotely N/Ne/E it could be that mythical "beast".. it's not often it happens on oor eastern side. but when it does it does, and this from west today, the other, side is just weird/extra.. I don't follow the models I just look at the radar and out my window, now casting so to speak?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cald
14 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

Daughter said they’d had a shower of large flakes in Livingston but it didn’t last long. My car has a decent covering outside the office in Stoney from having had nothing at all at 1pm.

image.jpg

Be shocked if you get across the Slugger tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, Snoozi said:

So after my hubby taking all the credit for My earllier snow digging (not an unusual occurence, lol!)  he decides the birdies need fed.. no oatmeal in the house and he can't find  the birdseed in the garage. I raked the cupbords and found my son's energy drink powder (now out of date) contains nuts and seeds in a powdered form! mixed it up with some (cooked) lentils and bread to thicken it..
we are going to have some of the beefiest wee birds around LOL

still snowing here

And you fed it all to your hubby? 😁

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

And you fed it all to your hubby? 😁

might slip some into his Cocoa 😉

Edited by Snoozi
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cald

Starting to ease now. Pity, i was hoping it would stall for another 6 hours, lol.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
32 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Basically whiteout in Montrose, not something they see too often there I bet 

MONTROSEPORT.CO.UK

Live WebcamLive Webcam is currently offline We apologise for the technical issues, we are looking to restore the live webcam feed soon.Go to homepage

wow that looks cracking.... u have a good catalogue of webcams 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
32 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I see Met long range now mentioning a likelihood of winds from the East into February. Until recently had said possibility of winds from North or East.

I'll take NW, N, NE, E and SE. All good at the new hoose it seems. Was surprised by the NW, but it seems the Moray Firth is a bit ae a snaw machine. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We're on our third band of epic heavy light snow now, enough to add a bit more than a dusting. Everything looks pretty though as the temp's been hovering around 0C most of the day.

Inverness was at 1C and pretty messy earlier.

The council have been assiduously gritting every square metre of tarmac so I've no idea whether my fancy new Conti Vikings are as good as the hype. Maybe tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Well hello there..

image.thumb.png.cf94036121327c30c5f4af08bcb7e7dd.png image.thumb.png.1e267e099f9320b80c594bf17003530c.png

Good to see, this was the thinking of a few members with regards background drivers without aid of assistance from an SSW of any type,if I recall

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Well hello there..

image.thumb.png.cf94036121327c30c5f4af08bcb7e7dd.png image.thumb.png.1e267e099f9320b80c594bf17003530c.png

oooh just as predicted by @Scott InghamIngham in the MT the other day.... not been in for a few days due to the gnashing of teeth. Fair play if this comes to fruition and from my back yard I'm liking the east chatter from met.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, NorthYorksWeather said:

Just got back and we have 6-7 inches of snow in Dalwhinnie. 
Current temp: -4.0°C

IMG_7824.thumb.jpeg.39f651f2ed7a14cec2c2ea9b475c190e.jpeg

You go out and look what happens 😂have fun 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, edo said:

oooh just as predicted by @Scott InghamIngham in the MT the other day.... not been in for a few days due to the gnashing of teeth. Fair play if this comes to fruition and from my back yard I'm liking the east chatter from met.

Scott took a bit of a bashing(totally undeserved) because it failed to deliver down south, I'm not sure what they were expecting. This has a far better building foundation than the feeble greeny high which rarely delivers the goods 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Heavy snaw on here now.. this must be the heavy shower the met were talking about earlier...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

It is technically a SSW as the u wind has reversed, but also it really isn't a SSW in terms of after-effects, as the reversal to easterly happens so briefly - returning to Westerly within 24 hrs or so.

image.thumb.png.49ec272956eb92046012a8d270a58448.png image.thumb.png.667467f505167ff86ab1e4e85806caf7.png image.thumb.png.f9658c49f9e2ff3f74cd704f5a8ab315.png

In terms of the super dynamic effects of a decent SSW, and the much hyped impacts rightly or wrongly thereafter -  I think the Scandi development could be better teleconnected to AAM changes and MJO

(The troposphere taking the lead this season vs the stratosphere leading the dance as it were..).

Is it such a brief reversal that impacts down here are slight if any? I'd rather get a cold spell through teleconnections than gamble on what happens above

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Heavy snaw on here now.. this must be the heavy shower the met were talking about earlier...

More to come for you by the looks of it, winds are more nw now 

• Like 2