Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Cold spell ending - what next?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related discussion only
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. For purely emotional reactions to the models, the new model emotions thread is also available. 

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

Please see the model discussion guidelines for more information about posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Chart of day 10 EC. After the first failed attempt a second one on the way? Great chart for people in Greece that like winter. The southerly current on our side of the continent is not very mild, but still everything should be more West in order to get the next attempt of a cold spell. The Euro high as predicted...

ECMOPEU12_240_1 (2).png

• Like 2

Posted

Evening all,a stormy unsettled week coming up feeling mild after a very cold period then all eyes on high pressure and position along with orientation.ECM 240 hrs looks promising but at that range will change of course but Scandinavian high still on the cards so good watching to see if February could turn into a cold month as met office has frequently pointed in that direction with an easterly feed.

• Like 4

Posted

GFS seems to have binned what looked like an emerging cold or at least average signal on tonight's GFS 12z ensembles, when you compare to yesterday.

chart(77).thumb.png.99d0341ec5eb61fefd30ff6a7f9644d6.pngchart(76).thumb.png.240d74b7a69d9e1f85b6175240983437.png

There is a lot of scatter in the extended, but I'm really not seeing a cold signal here. Exceptionally mild from Sunday night through to the 26th, then something nearer average, but likely still a little above given the mild nights. There is a cluster of colder ensemble runs, but this doesn't look like anything more than the usual scatter you'd expect to see at this range.

Of course, it will still feel cold, but I think people are in danger of losing perspective here. Even looking at very warm London stations such as Kew Gardens, the late January means on the GFS chart above of 6-7C are at least 1C above average. I've checked charts for elsewhere, and whilst the numbers differ, the general trend is very similar.

Overall, the smart money for at least the current horizon of the model runs is that temperatures will be milder than average, and at times very substantially so.

This is emphatically not a winter is over post, though. All of February is still well outside the reliable.

ECM to compare and contrast later, of course...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted Sunday at 17:35

I’ve got a feeling that a HP for mainly the south and near continent is looking  to set up shop after the weekend….and dig it’s heels in.
 Going to wait until Wednesday and see where we are then….as there can be adjustments …but Kaprun for 20-27 is looking HP dominated with chilly nights but mildish sunny days.  Still there’s a lovely snowbase in place and a Glacier

BFTP

So we are at Friday, and to me the HP looks like it will ‘generally’ be in situ as suggested.  I suspect we’ll be in a similar place on my return on 27th.  Be nice to return to something far more juicy looking, but for now have a good week….I think I might.

ECM for 29/1….be interesting to see what it looks like at t48.

image.thumb.gif.0df0d97243ee52e2f5e50c67ac2495ea.gif

regards

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters T192-T240:

IMG_8545.thumb.png.d50dc7f068772dd9b475795bc1e786bf.png

Cluster 2 (14 members) has a proper go at a Scandi high.  Cluster 4 has a strong high but ends up to the east of the UK.  Cluster 1 (contains the op) has a less strong build of heights, and cluster 3 weaker still, remains +NAO regime.

T264+:

IMG_8546.thumb.png.31c09e158afc199ac50ea8d052da876f.png

Clear retrogression signal shown on cluster 1 - even makes the Atlantic ridge regime (purple border) at the end - this has been hinted at previously, but this looks a stronger signal.  Cluster 2 has a high in the vicinity of the UK, to the east.  Cluster 3 has a strong then weakening Scandi high (some members surely in the previous cluster 2).  So still plenty in the mix there, from which something colder could develop…

• Like 8

Posted

A small downgrade of EC tonight in the EPS after the 27th. Only one Member going for the full hit. I will check later which one this is. In fact it is a bit disappointing, but both the models (EC and GFS) are backtracking for the end of January. Nothing is set in stone yet of course, but patience is needed for sure. 

eps_pluim_tt_06280(3).thumb.png.5a3529c4ec3ed2284e195d4459f93bd7.png

Wind probability

eps_windrichting_kanspluim_06280(3).thumb.png.1a60838c3d9ef026a966c44b56a7ff0c.png

It looks like the number of southerlies has increased and the number of easterlies has decreased. Mike will probably post the cluster scenarios later on. Curious about the scenarios with a Westerly it southwesterly flow.

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

A summary of this morning's model runs.

Deterministic runs up to day 7 (Fri 26th)

Now we can see that Wednesday won't be the end of our succession of Atlantic misfortunes, with another arriving by Friday morning.

animroj8.gifanimyws3.gifanimgbo8.gif

Ensemble means at days 10 & 13 (Mon 29th & Thu 1st)

Though the differences are small, these charts look just that little bit less promising to me for a spell of dry weather than yesterday's 12z outputs in my quoted post. Perhaps still OK for the south of England.

image.thumb.png.8ba891523b04d7de71aaa297cbc5b562.pngimage.thumb.png.786cc0bce5446a9ece5b04f06acd0351.pngimage.thumb.png.614afb094633a5ca2c243349cf108ca7.png

image.thumb.png.de5923ff4b3ef229b1d9a12229dd37a7.pngimage.thumb.png.d0390cd0d63055ff3da67eebf3b8653e.pngimage.thumb.png.014378c62aedd033c58cabecfcfb469d.png

A summary of this afternoon's global model runs.

Deterministic runs from days 1 to 7 (Sat 20th to Fri 26th)

I'll be honest, these are disappointing. I'd thought, up to now, that we might see a wholly dry second half to next week for southern Britain.

animnyf3.gifanimzhz8.gifanimkft3.gif

Ensemble means from days 8 to 14 (Sat 27th to Fri 2nd)

ECM seems to be offering southern Britain a dry week, so I'll take that. Not so sure about the other two. Not much sign of high-latitude blocking.

animkeh8.gifanimtdh6.gifanimiry7.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 3

Posted

EC 46 looks very dry.

The model is not really seeing retrogression at this point...

Sad thing about tonight's EC 46 is it looks very sparce on snow which would mean some people remaining snowless out to late Feb , hopefully not ...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
3 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

February composites for 6 and 7 El Niño, amplitude >1.

IMG_8542.thumb.gif.36431a5a7bab3af1585cd3cc97682984.gifIMG_8543.thumb.gif.27fad38ad28d16629b469b22d58cd1cc.gif

6 looks rubbish, I’m sure someone was ramping it slightly on here the other day, can’t remember who.  7 looks good but that’s where the question mark over amplitude on the model output is at the moment.

These composites are for all MJO amplitudes however. The ones I’ve referred to are for at least 0.5, maybe even 1.0 amplitude & were produced more recently making them a bit more relevant to the current climate.

Not that MJO composites tell all. The AAM cycle adds its own twist, as does the stratospheric polar vortex state if it’s usually strong or weak.

I continue to view the week 2 modelling with only slight interest for the time being. The first major opportunity to disrupt the Atlantic trough enough to start migrating high pressure appreciably toward Scandinavia is next Fri so I’m hoping for a clearer picture by Mon on whichever way things will go.

3 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

February composites for 6 and 7 El Niño, amplitude >1.

IMG_8542.thumb.gif.36431a5a7bab3af1585cd3cc97682984.gifIMG_8543.thumb.gif.27fad38ad28d16629b469b22d58cd1cc.gif

6 looks rubbish, I’m sure someone was ramping it slightly on here the other day, can’t remember who.  7 looks good but that’s where the question mark over amplitude on the model output is at the moment.

These composites are for all MJO amplitudes however. The ones I’ve referred to are for at least 0.5, maybe even 1.0 amplitude & were produced more recently making them a bit more relevant to the current climate.

Not that MJO composites tell all. The AAM cycle adds its own twist, as does the stratospheric polar vortex state if it’s usually strong or weak.

I continue to view the week 2 modelling with only slight interest for the time being. The first major opportunity to disrupt the Atlantic trough enough to start migrating high pressure appreciably toward Scandinavia is next Fri so I’m hoping for a clearer picture by Mon on whichever way things will go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Appears the El Niño is in terminal decline after peaking in late December as strong El Niño, it is the 2nd strongest El Niño of 21st century, will this have implications for late winter and early spring? I’m not sure over next few weeks, but a weakened El Niño is better for winter prospects in general. Our last strong El Niño being 2015/16 the mildest winter on record in London.

IMG_1913.thumb.png.ffa3ef54224e486ca9f9ef3a4680de6d.pngIMG_1890.thumb.jpeg.352ccf59877da77206d49c6e179db084.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
22 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC 46 looks very dry.

Sad thing about tonight's EC 46 is it looks very sparce on snow which would mean some people remaining snowless out to late Feb , hopefully not ...

Wouldn't bank to much on this model,wasn't long ago it had high level blocking galore 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Apparently it is member 39 going for the full blast with uppers below-10 at day 12 with a full blown easterly and a Genua low. From the text book I would say. High pressure over Lapland. 

gens-39-1-288.png

gens-39-0-288.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 3

Posted
43 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC 46 looks very dry.

Indeed nws - it's looking ominous.  Another snowless winter is possible in London to add to the many in recent history.  What makes this winter different is the ridiculous level of ramping by experts and amateurs alike.  Anyway, we have 5 or so weeks of winter left so who knows but the signs are not good (see chart below).

image.thumb.png.f2456c947f89e9ff358254cf5a1f7bb5.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.51beafe9b030d6b2e49d34c40a5ea6a4.png

Ec 46 - MJO forecast - I don't think the MJO has done much to help at all..

It won't if that forecast comes off, although it does look to miss out phase 7 as Joe B said yesterday?  However, there's not many ensembles taking it into phase 8.

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Just to add have always treated March as  winter up here on the farm. Since we are closer to the Arctic North and East winds in spring are always colder and their frequency also increases in spring.

Certainly - at your location there's still a substantial chance of cold, snowy weather into March. The chance is still firmly decreasing by that point, though from a higher base. You've probably got more chance of ice and snow in March than most of us have in February!

I was being partially tongue in cheek with the above, but turns out it's actually true! For example, daily mean at Kew Gardens for February is 5-6C. Lossiemouth has the same average for March.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that as I don't want to derail the model thread.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Serious question - are MJO analogues flakey at the best of times and not worth the paper they are printed on in a world that is warming very fast?

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted

chart(78).thumb.png.458f86e05dac8994d0dc6423ea04f9a7.pngchart(79).thumb.png.04171c0f15ea3c66154a2ac41d28dc2a.png

ECM seems much the same as GFS earlier. The signal for anything cold is really very weak bar a couple of outliers. Unfortunately the mean is signalling the dominance of heights mainly in southern Europe, possibly into central and eastern Europe at times. We seem to have periods of very mild south-westerlies alternating with slightly cooler westerly or north-westerly winds as the most likely outcome. Probably some chances of frost and fog at times when the high ridges closer to us.

Here are the ECM means at days 3, 6 and 9:

image.thumb.png.63b90a9b5dcb9d8eb3b60918431ce7bb.png image.thumb.png.65ffa9354c9f5ebc914a7d6dbd92d33e.png image.thumb.png.a640b4645af6e3fa75dfd42376c136dd.png

There's nothing cold about those I'm afraid.

If we add in the extended at days 12 and 15:

image.thumb.png.803bd95fc128840814d6936c489cb78c.png image.thumb.png.ee0d9c4700cfefa15acd6e4bb025b3fb.png

That is at least an improvement in some respects, with less of a tendency for extremely mild south-westerlies, strong winds and rain. However, the orientation of the high ridging in is just all wrong for anything truly cold. You're probably looking at temperatures still above average, with milder air coming over the top of the high. The mildest areas relative to average will be further north.

ECM meteograms for Reading, Leeds, Newcastle and Glasgow below:

image.thumb.png.d7b2b144fcd7ef728388ab2943cf94af.pngimage.thumb.png.c67a0a3c7ce09ee689975e05567b057e.pngimage.thumb.png.49017baaf11f6b68a3c94df1950b86c3.pngimage.thumb.png.7b6d659385c3d8cf563126473d209182.png

All in all, this just looks like a pattern that after the next week of exceptionally mild weather, will just use up another week of winter without delivering anything.

We still have February to go at though, as discussed earlier. I still think we'll get at least one more throw of the dice. But equally, I see no point in ramping anything up at this stage given the relatively poor ensemble suites.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

The CFS is looking nae bad in F1! 😱 😜…so much for global warming eh! 🥳 🥶 ❄️ 

IMG_2047.thumb.png.43ff07a56a2b0271020d697513de4492.pngIMG_2048.thumb.png.03566d583196dce2b965e26db30d4a81.pngIMG_6532.thumb.png.425464326d4c18919d4c050d9f6510c6.png

I hope Mr Frosty you do know the difference between weather and climate. Lol 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Don said:

It won't if that forecast comes off, although it does look to miss out phase 7 as Joe B said yesterday?  However, there's not many ensembles taking it into phase 8.

I assume phase 8 would be post day 16 so won’t show on the three ens suites 

but the 46 also goes to day 20 so it would seem that phase 8 isn’t before feb 8th at the earliest 

• Like 1

Posted

Models probably not showing anything conclusive at the moment either way for cold, need to see where we stand in three or four days time after these incoming deep lows pass through IMO.

I've been following the AI Graphcast model a lot recently too and that has been struggling to show anything remotely cold friendly.

Looking back through the archives of snow watch and it appears we're rapidly approaching the cut off date, time to call for the grebes. 

Graphcast for 29th Jan

webp-worker-commands-5f6448649f-5nlbs-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-Hxhrir.webp