Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 1994 30 years ago

30 years ago this year how was it?

from what I’ve read it was a decent summer especially July with a CET of 18.0 and a high of of 34 degrees on the 12th July June was also great

a surprising thing about this summer was august which was okay at best with it being slightly cooler then average September didn’t bring the warmth back being cold dull and wet and may wasn’t that good either which for me kinda puts the summer down a bit for me but I have only read about this summer as I was not even close to being alive yet 😂 

for people that lived through it was it a great summer or more good ?

personally from reading I would happily take a 1994 

Edited by Summerlover2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Might find these helpful if you haven't seen yet!

Also if anyone wants to search a specifc year, month event etc and see if anyone has done some posts:

https://community.netweather.tv/search/?&q=1917&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=40&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

I think we just escaped a sizzler summer, Europe was very hot. I visited Majorca in July and arrived in an exceptional heatwave 40 degree temps. I remember late July on my return being very humid. A thundery humid often very warm summer. Forgotten because of the superb summer that followed. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

An underrated Summer. Very warm to hot here in London between the last week of June and first week of August. July 1994 had average maximum of 26.2c at Heathrow, with 5 days in the month exceeding 30c. 

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

July 1994 was one of my favourite summer months ever for a humid, hot, thundery and sunny month.  Only July 2006 was better than this one in my lifetime (though I reckon I'd have liked July 1983 too).  It varied between hot and dry and hot and thundery throughout.  Only the 4th 5th and 6th were unsettled, but even this period had thundery showers around a shallow low.

June was also very good but not extreme.  I remember a lot of days that were sunny with temps around 21 to 24 degrees.  There were two days though of about 27C and one of them, a Friday, had a great storm in the evening too.  I think the London area got an absolute pasting from this MCS.

August started where July left off and we had a cracking storm overnight 3/4th which knocked our power out.  This was after a really hot and humid day.  I then spent 2 weeks in France from 7th to 21st but I think the summer was back to normal by then.

There just seemed to be a great 6 weeks or so from around 23rd June to 5th august of rinse and repeat.. the heat would build day by day, we'd get a great storm, then it would start all over again, sunny and low 20s.  I can't remember anything like that since.. 2nd half of June 2005 maybe?

I have read somewhere that we were on the western edge of a very hot surge of air from the south at this time.  Central Europe up through to Scandinavia were extremely hot during this period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Two good months, one rather poor. Some similarities to 2006 and 2018, but less hot than either of these, in the sense that June and July were good but August rather poor.

June started with a short spell of unsettled weather but became settled by around the 11th, and the rest of the month was mostly warm and sunny, bar a dull, cool and wet day on the 21st and an intense thundery outbreak on the 24th (@SummerShower this was your Friday storm).

July was again mostly warm and sunny, though the 4th-7th was unsettled. There were further thundery outbreaks on the 1st, overnight 12th/13th, 23rd/24th and the very end of the month.

The pattern seemed to be very much a pattern of warm sunny spells broken by frequent thundery outbreaks, so it was more thundery than most good summers.

The pattern continued for the first 10 days of August with a further thundery outbreak on the 3rd but it became more generally unsettled after around the 11th. (Thankfully I spent the next 2 weeks abroad, in Montreal where the same warm and sunny pattern interrupted by thundery outbreaks continued.... so didn't have to endure the unsettled weather until it was almost autumn).

1994 was a curious year in the sense that it was mostly dull and wet - apart from June, July and the start of August (and first half of October). We were fortunate that the most settled spell of the year co-incided with summer. A kind of anti-2011, if you like, in the sense that 2011 was often dry and settled but the most prolonged spell of poor weather occurred during the three months of meteorological summer.

In terms of where summer 1994 is in my own league of summers, I'd say it's behind 1983, 1984, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006, 2018 (and 2022, which I largely missed) - but in front of every other summer since 1978. So just makes my personal top 10 of summers, coming 10th out of the 46 (hard to believe it's that many!) that I have some memory of (though relying on 2nd-hand reports for 2022).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Summer8906 the coincidence with all those years of 1994, 2006 and 2018 is that they were all the Chinese year of the dog 🐕 , or in my case hot dog really.   🙂

• Like 1

Posted

I returned from abroad in late April 1994 and was able to enjoy an extended break round Britain before heading back to the grindstone. I recall it as a good summer, but not as hot and sunny as the following summer, and a highlight for me was climbing Ben Nevis on a perfect summer's day in mid-June 1994 and finding thick snow on top! 

• Like 1

Posted

Summer 1994, overall a great summer.  Wet Wet Wet's version of "Love is all Around" was number 1 throughout that summer. 

But this song reminds me of this summer. I remember listening to it on the local radio in the garden, it was a lovely warm sunny day and for some reason when I hear this version of the song, it reminds of that summer's day back in 1994.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I was living in the Lewisham/Brockley/New Cross triangle of SE London in the summer of 1994..without looking at any weather records ..June was dry and warm but not hot..world cup was on..July was hot humid and thundery...August must have been fairly average don't really remember much about it..Sept was wet and cool at times?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

IMG_0813.thumb.jpeg.db1612d567b1879455e64da263f869d0.jpeg

Edited by danm