Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly Wet & Worryingly Sunless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

The first sunny day in god knows how long today. Better times are ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Pouring here as usual 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Shoeburyness, Essex- Out of the last 35 days, only 4 days have managed 50% plus- sunshine. Truly pathetic. Time to book a solo trip abroad for a few days because this is like living in an underground cavern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Actually had blue skys here today, together with a curious glowing round thing  which ,I am given to understand,  is quite a rare event only making occasional appearances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yes, actually been a decent weekend here, for early March.  After the rain finished yesterday am I'd say about 70% sunshine maximum since then

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

SummerShower lucky! Had 15 mins of hazy sunshine earlier and that was my lot lol. Grey clag infinitum.

Posted

SunSean best thing to do, but should be for a month and work from the continent for a warmer and happier climate 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Just been on a walk from Lewes to Hassocks and it was a beautiful day. Sunny intervals, calm, dry and a good temperature for hiking uphill without getting sweaty. There was a very good clarity in the air, the North Downs easily visible on the horizon from the South Downs Way. Clarity like this is very rare when I go walking during the summer months.

IMG_20240303_125029386.jpg

Edited by al78
add\photo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Fen Wolf Like I said, at least as things stand I *couldn't* just up sticks and emigrate, regardless of what my wishes may be. I really don't *want* to leave the UK for good anyway - I have too many people and things here that I wouldn't want to be that far away from. Weather isn't everything to me, and I'd rather endure the rain with/near to those people/things than sit in the sun hundreds or thousands of miles away from them. As for finding peace, there's plenty here in the UK that I enjoy, and I think having varied interests is always helpful in that regard. 🙂

• Like 1

Posted

Arctic Hare i would want to get my family and take them with me as like you said the weather isn’t everything but this country has seriously gone down hill in the last 10 years and i don’t want to be here to see a country i loved and grew up in destroyed and dead.  

A man has only one life, so a man must do what he can to survive and hopefully get somewhere nice with the ones he loves 

i wish you the best though 

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted

A very indifferent day here, to be honest. Too cold to feel spring-like, the best of any cloud breaks gone by the early afternoon, and increasingly dark clouds. At least it has been a dry day though.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The sun actually heated up my room yesterday for the first time this year!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Fen Wolf  I feel the same about the UK.  My brother emigrated to the Midwest of America in the mid 2000s.  His weather is a lot more varied than ours.  He called me last week to say his daytime high went from 28C on Monday 26th Feb (which is a record high for that day), to a high of 2C two days later!

Like Arctic hare's comment above, I can't leave right now.  Too many people here are dependant on me.  What would be your ideal climate if you could buy your way into any country on the planet?  For me it would be in a country/region that is large enough to migrate freely between its borders so you can always be in the right temperature.  Prior to the referendum, it was simple - the EU.  I could go from Spain to Sweden and remain always pleasantly warm year round.  The other would be Australia.  It's not a problem staying warm in winter, but maybe too hot at times in the summer.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 1

Posted

BlueSkies_do_I_see ideally somewhere i can find some peace far away from the humans and all the issues that come with society.  

I would want to be somewhere nice where i could see the aurora at night, warm dry days with lightning on evenings and into the night then the auroras later.  Plus an active volcano so could see lava and snow if i ventured into the mountains very close to my base.  
i would want to be somewhere where i could find some peace, have no connection to the digital world and just connect with the earth and be self sustaining like they were thousands of years ago. 

i want to be somewhere where i could just be left alone to connect with the planet again without stress & distractions 

sounds like heaven right? ☹️

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Fen Wolf Some of my friends are looking to move out of the UK. One of them has actually managed to get all the processes sorted for moving to Australia with his girlfriend. 

I understand it. But it's just a shame. Because it's the classic "brain drain" phenomenon where decent, young people are bailing-out of the UK because the situation seems unfixable, which then in turn makes the situation even worse, and the cycle continues ad infinitum.

The decay in the UK is palpable, and has progressed significantly in just the last 15-20 years since my childhood. It's pretty shocking tbh. There's a channel on YouTube called Bald and Bankrupt. He's just done a couple of videos on travelling within some places in the UK (Clacton, Plymouth, Birmingham to name a few) and the scenes are downright sad to see. Definitely worth watching. 

This isn't the thread to do a deep dive into the what's, why's and how's of said decay, but suffice to say, it's quite multifaceted and other countries are also on a similar trajectory, just at different speeds. 

Of course, the climate is just the fly-covered icing on the mouldy cake. Sure, pleasant and sunny weather doesn't put food on the table but it certainly takes the edge of a rough situation or a bad day. The depressive vibe that seems abound in Britain atm is exacerbated by our climate. I'm not living on the breadline thankfully, or homeless, but if I was, living in a place where I could regularly go and sit on the beach in the sun and go for a swim, or wild camp/sleep outside without worrying about freezing to death or everything becoming soaking wet, would be far, far more preferable than living in a place where I have to ride public transport to escape the cold and wet, or sit inside a pub nursing the cheapest pints because there's nowt better to do, ans everything I own is sodden wet all the time...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

In Absence of True Seasons

What you written strikes a chord with me. Back in 2001, I decided to quit my job and try out Australia for a year on a working holiday visa. Loved the place. Like you say, it's about being outdoors without being cold. Obviously in Aus you head north in April (their Autumn) to get the better weather. I did exactly that. I arrived in Sydney , did a bit of sight seeing (Blue Mountains are a must see - a 2 hour train ride from Sydney), then bought a car in Melbourne and headed north in March as the leaves were starting to turn. By May I was living in Cairns, Far North Queensland. That place has a superb winter climate: Dry, 25C, daily high which is my dream weather. Worked and lived there for a few months and then carried into the interior of Queensland, Darwin, then across Western Australia and down into Perth. I didn't even need to put the outer waterproof layer on my old tent once. It never rained. Just look up at the stars every night. 

Eventually crossed the Nullabor back to Melbourne to sell the car again.

One day I will go back.

But, I agree with what you say. It's easier to be happy being warm in a country with 50,000 km of coastline, 11,761 recorded beaches and 650 National parks (that's 146 more than the whole of Europe).

Quite a few of the National Parks in the outback are unmanned. You just put some money in an honesty box, or did when I visited. 

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 2

Posted

BlueSkies_do_I_see Dragon’s Island, it seems like the only place to escape it all and since I have an open invitation i might see if i can just just disappear but currently have work to complete and then hopefully can just go live with The Dragon on one of his islands.  

all the locals call him The Dragon; he is really cool tbh, if it rains down there then it’s usually nice heavy, warm rain with lightning.  

• Like 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons i know bald and bankrupt very well 😆. A few others too who go with him and do the same thing,  yes country since my childhood has gone right down the pan, i cannot change but i can change my future so it is hopefully brighter.  Hence the potential move to my friends island which i am sure he will be fine with, he has more than 1 privately owned island so im sure me and my loved ones can go at some point.  

can’t even get a reliable train here, its laughable 🤣.  

the constant rain is very difficult to deal with for me, i need a dry, warm; happier climate 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

After a single dry day, the rain has returned for this evening, and forecast for tomorrow (which earlier had mostly sunny and zero rain) is now showing showers all day.

Can't say I'm surprised, but it's all just laughable at this point. What is the point of weather forecasts beyond like 8-12 hours out!? Genuine question. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 3

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons there is no point, it all is very crap ☹️

I can’t remember a day where it was dry for a whole 24hours straight 🤣

probably a day long long ago

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In Absence of True Seasons Tbh this month so far has felt quite normal for March, it’s just on the back of such a protracted pants period so feels a lot worse!

Ive had a gale force wind, hail, thunder, snow, frost, a sunny day (yday) and a bog standard naff day today and it’s only the 04th.

• Like 2

Posted

MP-R Yeah it's not unusual for March, it's just that we desperately need consecutive dry days for our landscapes and flora/fauna. As well as for our farming industry. 

We can't manage more than 24 hours without rain atm and this week's forecast which as of yesterday was mostly sunny and dry every day in my area, is now downgraded to a mix of showery weather 😫

• Like 2

Posted

should manage 4 days of dry weather here now, unless something crops up at short notice

Saturday should hopefully only be a chance of some light rain

Finally, things should slowly start to dry out

Posted

I just want it to be dry - the SSW has put any enthusiasm I have for spring on hold.

People worrying in the model thread that it wont affect the weather in March - it'll probably ruin April instead. I want to say I've seen snow falling in 3 of the last 4 Aprils so wouldn't be out of the ordinary for today's climate.

March & April definitely feel like the new Winter. Autumn is August-Feb. Spring is maybe a few days in May and Summer is June-July (though September is often nice).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1