Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly Wet & Worryingly Sunless

Posted

SunSean At least its going to be dry. I cant imagine another March 2023 after a record breaking wet December and February. Perhaps this March is turning out similar to March 2021, with maybe something warm and sunny at the end

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

baddie Dry & cloudy is only better than wet & cloudy in comparison of stubbing one of your toes on the door to stubbing the whole foot lol. It's just a polished turd at the mo! Hoping for endless sunny high pressure for the whole country at some point soon 🤞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SunSean Maybe the forecasts for the next three days get replaced with sunshine, as yesterday was forecast to be overcast but the afternoon was clear. I cant see the 10th-13th bringing any sunshine though

At least we may see more sunshine in the first half of March 2024 compared to last years first half

Edited by baddie

Posted

Up to 27.8 hours here for the month and another clear sunny morning (although a cool breeze).

Posted

March continuing where February left off with regards to sunshine here. Just 11.7 hours in the first 6 days and it's overcast and damp with drizzle again today.

It looks like solid east or south-easterlies for the next week too, so we could get to mid-month with truly woeful totals in this area.

• Like 4

Posted

Grot, grot and more grot. I have deja-vu from last year.... I hope we don't end up with another 2013.

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

There's a clear patch of sky to our east that every time it inches closer, fills in with cloud and so the new clear patch is just as far away as it ever was the hour before. Its like a horse chasing a carrot dangling in front of its head lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Currently stuck at Northampton Station. The Sun really wants to come out but there's some really low cloud in the area today. Kent looks to be marginally sunnier over the next few days but we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 06/03/2024 at 12:03, In Absence of True Seasons said:

"But the SSW increases the risk that any gradually warm up towards April may be subject to set-backs, perhaps dramatic, with a cruel reminder of winter not yet done at some point in the coming weeks."

Yep, that's it. Final straw for me after the last 3/4 months of dross we have just had.  Will definitely be joining you in taking a Spring holiday to somewhere warm and sunny. Maybe Cyprus. 

And it will be Sod’s Law that the moment you leave the UK the weather will turn warm and sunny! 😆☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunSean Yes many other places especially up North and in the west have been have full days of sunshine recently. 

Much more cloudy in Eastern regions. Very "spring 2023" vibes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yes it has been very wet over the last 7 months or so and the last 4 or 5 have been virtually sunless but the silver lining to that is because nada has dried up, no matter how dry or hot it gets this summer, water shouldn't be an issue and we can enjoy a roasting summer without hosepipe bans. 

Edited by Wade
Political comment removed.

Posted

SunSean The clag has returned here today. I knew yesterday was a one day affair ... As is very 2023 ... March really isn't looking well so far ...

baddieI'm not believing it. I have no hope

• Like 3

Posted

After a glorious early Spring day, here, yesterday with sunny skies and temps topping out at 13c, today is grey and gloomy at 10c.

However, the blow is softened by the fact i'm on the bus and 20 mins away from the 1st pint, as i'm meeting a mate at pub for a few bevvies👍.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

*Stormforce~beka* This is nothing like March 2023 imo. From memory it was already significantly worse than this. I can't remember seeing the Sun even once last March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

So far this March is reminding me of May 2023. Mostly sunny but not quite warming up due to the breeze, but hanging around average for the time of year and somewhat warm when the sun comes out and the wind dies down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

The Met office Feb weather summary really hits home how dire February was. Dull dull dull, wet wet wet, and October-like temps. Not a single day of air frost lol. Just abysmal in literally every regard other than for the propensity of moss growth.

As often seems to be the case with Feb to May periods recently, Scotland especially NW Scotland fairs the best.

Screenshot_20240307-143024~2.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted

raz.org.rain I can see the comparison. Makes you wonder if we'll see a significantly sunny period later in the month a la last May, in which case some western areas like Worcestershire could just about see 20°C around Easter.

It's often forgotten that western areas were actually quite warm last May.

image.thumb.png.be92640d6ae785f94bf803fc46604f71.png

I'd say it's outright uncommon to see that many 20s in May as far west as Exeter.

Overall, it's important to keep in mind we're only a week into March. The first week of March is almost never warm or sunny. The important thing is the rain has significantly died down now and this week has been the most rainless period since January. March on average is also not a particularly sunny month with a considerably lower average than September and about even with October despite having more possible sunshine hours. The sunshine and warmth will come, the beginning of March has been far from dire. If anything it's best to get any spring showers and annoying cold out of the system in March while there isn't much potential for warm weather anyway. Either way even if the rest of March is nondescript, average and a bit dull I'll take it over the absolute fusterclucks that December and February were. Things are getting better, it'll be slow at first but it will eventually be late March-early April and we will start getting warmer and sunnier spells.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

CryoraptorA303 The March deluges really started in earnest in this Thursday last year (the 09th). Up until the frontal snow it was a dry if cool start to the month. Thereafter though… just awful.

I mowed the lawn for the first time in mid Feb then didn’t again until April 03rd!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

It's been an okay week, most importantly dry but last 2 days the best way to put it is that the weather is starting to "fall off" again. Not that much sunshine yesterday and today, as low cloud and fog an issue taking until early afternoon to clear, but when it does still feeling pleasant, could be sunnier tomorrow. South easterly breeze is picking up which gives that chill factor, will be stronger tomorrow. Rain unfortunately back this weekend and next week not looking great either.

Also another thing today I noticed is the haze. Doesn't look much from ground with phone pic, but when sending the drone up it's quite noticeable, seems to happen especially in early to mid spring when fog or low cloud is clearing & with winds coming in somewhere from the east.

20240307_150110~2.jpg

dji_fly_20240307_143958_129_1709822414445_photo_optimized~3.jpg

To add, searching for flooding news in the UK and more articles popping up about places closing down or still inaccessible:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The single-track road into the village is impassable as the Cuckmere River overflows.

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

Landlady Gina Birch has run the historic Lamb and Flag in Welney, Norfolk, for 25 years but now fears the 230-year-old business will have to close due to flooding

WWW.WSFP.CO.UK

FARMERS across Somerset are becoming increasingly concerned by continued flood risks following the recent heavy rain which has caused flooding and road closures.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted

Well despite it looking like it could it never did clear up today. Instead we had heavy drizzle and an increase in the cold easterly wind. Tomorrow looks a little worse. Great. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Yep, not a great day here. Grey from horizon to horizon. All we needed was a bit more brutalist architecture, and today's skyline would have been perfect for a film set in the 60s in the former USSR.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Metwatch Haze is an issue whenever we have winds from an easterly quadrant whatever the time of year. It’s generally not a desirable wind direction.

• Like 1