Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly Wet & Worryingly Sunless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
30 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haze is an issue whenever we have winds from an easterly quadrant whatever the time of year. It’s generally not a desirable wind direction.

Indeed, however photographers get very excited with haze as it can lead to some very good 'clear' sunsets on camera. March 2022 had a lot of them, which is highly praised.

One of mine during the September heatwave last autumn, just stunning.

DSCF70115.thumb.JPG.2d4dc47ca36ab1bd3b054216e3b982b8.JPGDSCF70143.thumb.JPG.5a60c6f475b54a44c517d028382b3b99.JPG

Plenty of dust brought up giving that haze

CFSR_1_2023090512_1.thumb.png.4d020dcbd7b6457f5ea5901391634961.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Jonnoramo87 I would say this pattern has been dominant since March 2023 although the unrelenting wet actually began earlier in September 2022.

Gotta break sooner or later!

• Like 2

Posted

The first winter that I've ever experienced SAD.

I was getting more and more down due to the lack of sun, even doing the job i love, horticulture (I'm a nursery man).

So as well, for the first time this year, I've started to take vitamin D , and it's really helped a lot, and got my out of this god awful melancholy.

The irony is that the doctor a few years ago, said that I probably produce to much vitamin D , as exposure to bright sunshine would make me dizzy, nauseous and unable to get energy , so you can tell how bad this winter has been for lack of sunshine!!

• Like 6

Posted

Even today, which is meant to be our first fully sunny day since Jan 26th, there is a self spawning section of cloud at the edge that keeps expanding out and re-covering my crappy area lol. 

Essex Can NOT escape cloud. I'd be quite happy to never see a cloud again TBH now. Way past the point of being sick at the sight of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Bright and sunny morning but windy.

Should make the most of it because not a solitary sun symbol in my forecast for the next 10 days 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Haven't seen the sun since Monday now. Yet again it's overcast and we're still on 11.7hrs of sunshine 8 days into the month.

The 1991-2020 average is 123hrs in March here  and the next few days look cack so it's looking like another duller than average month already.

• Like 1

Posted

Up to 33.2 hours of sun now here. Yesterday started sunny again but unfortunately the gloom arrived around midday and is still here this morning. Cold breeze as well.

The Pennines aren't proving much of a barrier to the cloud today but hopefully we will see a few breaks through the day.

Posted

Well it is suppose to brighten up here according to all the forecasts I've looked at this morning. 

Looking at the radar that could be from around lunchtime. 

Until then it's cold, windy and grey. Very grey.

Posted

Oddly I have sun today. Odd ... Very VERY odd indeed!

• Like 1

Posted

Chances of a day of over 50% available sunshine (let alone a full day of sun) have ended for Shoebury. That patch of thin cloud has expanded and now the edge has gotten further out. Roll on my holiday and to somewhere that actually sees the sun for more than 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Sat24 shows the back edge of the cloud cover crossing the Humber at around 12pm so we may indeed get some sun this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunSean I think it's your proximity to the sea/coast that's proving as an issue. The clag just rolls in / materialises on a whim

Today and yesterday in my area (Upminster) have been pretty sunny and decent tbh. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

SunSean I hear Mercury is sunny 😎 Unfortunately with an easterly your location will usually be prone to muck from the North Sea. Here in west London it’s a beauty of a day, apart from the cold wind

Posted

anim_vis_uk.thumb.gif.11c54fe3a327866791af23c28128e814.gif

Refusing to clear the Midlands, couldn't make it up!

• Like 5

Posted

A forecast of all day wall to wall sunshine has turned out overcast all day from noon after fairly cloudy before that 😂 Easterlies SUCK. 

Thankfully I've been at work since 1pm as I'd be doing a 50 page rant if this was my day off!

• Like 2

Posted

Not the best day again today, possibly even worse than yesterday. Pretty raw easterly breeze making it feel a lot colder than 7-8C. No rain but tomorrow looks wet and then Sunday looks to be even worse, an utter write-off, cold, wet and miserable. So we're now officially looking at second half of March for any sort of decent weekend weather here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Been an awfully depressing March so far, much worse than the springlike February which was great. Just cold, boring rotten low grey tupperware skies everyday and no weather to speak of.

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

My area, Shoebury, was the only place in the entire East/South East third that did not reach 50% sunshine yesterday. Been one of the worst areas in the South for ages! In contrast, nearby Manston, in Kent have had 3 lovely days in a row of over 6 hours of sun each day! 

I must have really peed off the weather gods since December!

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Went out to the usual woodland area just outside the city this afternoon, and I have to admit following a week of no significant rainfall, at last there's some signs of improvement!

Paths aren't as muddy, standing water in some places has subsided too. Yes still quite muddy in many other areas but below a comparison mid February versus today, it's a good sign!

20240217_160800.thumb.jpg.4e6809ffba6100087cda8d34df04f4c4.jpg20240309_170630.thumb.jpg.8ee129ccbf4ba368c544502413c9187f.jpg

Some exposed farmland also drying up and isn't boggy anymore. More rain tomorrow unfortunately but I think next week looks mostly dry until Friday.

20240309_1722482.thumb.jpg.bd86c652fa9c091c8d0ac1a3ab0044ad.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
21 hours ago, Met. said:

Been an awfully depressing March so far, much worse than the springlike February which was great. Just cold, boring rotten low grey tupperware skies everyday and no weather to speak of.

I guess things might have been different in Sheffield but February was a washout here, and the mild days were all very cloudy/damp here, there was barely any sunshine. March while being cold and very cloudy has at least been mostly dry. At least we’ve lost the relentless rain!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

St Neots yesterday look how much surface water is near the river 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Nature has a habit of balancing it's self. Therefore expecting a very dry summer 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

stewfox Awful. And now today another day of hours upon hours of rain to help the situation eh!

• Like 2