Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The days might be getting longer but it’s blowing a hoolie and it’s 7°C. Feels pretty wintry to me. At least the sun is out ☀️ 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

donald, still dark here 6-6.30am, lighter for a time, but then one of my least favourite nights of the year, spring forward, dark again 6-6.30am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

I remember Atlantic 252 Yes, it is a bit of a jolt when that happens, just when the body/ mind is starting to adjust to the early light...but it doesn't last for long, soon catches up and is light again in the mornings. Entering that period now when the changing daylight hours start to feel really noticeable. Quite chilly today though with the wind-chill, reminded me of early March last year when it was very cold for a couple of days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

SollyOlly I find May, June and July really trying due to the light levels. The midday sun is far too harsh for me, along with the annoyance of 3am light.

Edited by Cheshire Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Cheshire Freeze I completely know what you mean. May I can usually tolerate, but June and July are really testing for my type of reverse SAD - it's never truly dark, and I just find the light too harsh (it's the only word that I can use for it). Evenings can be nicer. It's not related to the temperatures either, but I do suffer with the heat, too. 

I think that the 'Heat Haters Club' is closed now which is a bit of a shame, it was a good support community for those of us who suffer with various aspects!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

It hasn't felt overly cold here today, just very average for the time of year. Plenty of sunshine though, and fortunately no strong breezes.

Posted

Winter 23-24 has been akin to winters 21-22 and 22-23 in many respects.. our snowiest spells came very early in the season this year i.e. 2 Dec, in 2022-23 before christmas and in 2021-22 late Nov!

We had a cold spell third week Jan in 2023 ditto this Jan.

In all cases Feb has been a write off for snow. What has happened to February!

March has often been snowier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The days might be getting longer but it’s blowing a hoolie and it’s 7°C. Feels pretty wintry to me. At least the sun is out ☀️

Yes, it was the same temp here and despite the sunshine, it felt noticeably colder today than other days this winter that have had the same temp.

Only a month to go until the clocks go forward. For me the period of British summertime (from last Sunday in March to last Sunday in October) is the warmer, drier and brighter time of year. It really feels like spring has arrived when it’s still loght

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

completely know what you mean. May I can usually tolerate, but June and July are really testing for my type of reverse SAD - it's never truly dark, and I just find the light too harsh (it's the only word that I can use for it). Evenings can be nicer.

For me it’s the opposite. I hate the period from Late October until late February because it goes dark before 5 pm and the nights are just ridiculously long. And it’s also mostly gloomy, dark, cold and wet. Love the period from early May to late July when it doesn’t go dark till after 9 pm and there’s a long lingering twilight. And on a clear night in June it never quite goes completely dark - always a bright glow looking north.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Winter 23-24 has been akin to winters 21-22 and 22-23 in many respects.. our snowiest spells came very early in the season this year i.e. 2 Dec, in 2022-23 before christmas and in 2021-22 late Nov!

More especially akin to 21/22 as at least December 23 had a fairly sustained cold spell.

Posted

Don Dec 2023 was a mild washout as far as Im concerned. I even seen hail and thunder on the 12th and 27th. Dont you mean Jan 2024 holding the "cold spell"

• Like 1

Posted

baddie sorry, I meant to say December 2022!!  Getting old is no fun lol!  Yes, December 2023 was indeed a mild washout after the opening days!

Posted

We've experienced our greatest single fall of snow believe it or not since March 06, in an otherwise fairly snow starved season. Very akin to the storm arwen event late Nov 21 which brought extreme weather with snow then a snowless winter. 

Take out the 2 Dec event I'd be ranking it as one of worse winters on snowfall front.

Cold wise, 2 decent albeit short spells late Nov- early Dec, and 2 weeks 6-19 Jan, again pushes the winter up the rankings, however, outside these periods the degree of mild weather has been exceptional. Feb 24 will go down as abysmal snow and cold wise.. 

Overall better than 13-14, 15-16, 16-17, 18-19, 19-20, 21-22 for cold and snow despite the anomalous warmth. 

My rankings, cold and snow wise, with 1 being snowiest (number of days and depth) and coldest .

1. 20-21

2. 17-18

3. 14-15

4. 22-23

5. 23-24

6. 16-17

7. 18-19

8. 19-20

9. 21-22

10. 15-16

11. 13-14 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

My thoughts on Winter 2023/24:

This winter has been a carbon copy of 2021/22 but wetter. Both had very mild, dull Decembers with cold starts, sunny settled spells in January and mild, wet Februaries.

Aside from the frosty and dry snap in mid January, it had been an insanely mild throughout really, especially since late January. Not in a nice springlike way but I’ve still seen some of the earliest bulbs I’ve ever seen like a tulip in February I saw this morning.

IMG_6043.thumb.jpeg.5dfa8c96b9b0972f0b0178a02ba860f3.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

TheOgre Yes, this winter has been very similar to 2021/22.  However, the main difference is it's been even milder, with December and February both milder and January on a par.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

al78 I can still sense it’s light outside. It seems to sound different, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Posted

Its been similiar to 97-98 as well.. the super el nino year.

A winter to forget if you are a cold snow lover. Very disappointing, Feb exceptionally so.