Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Iceaxecrampon Superb, built to last. We had a similar old style barometer in my childhood home at the foot of the stairs, my dad would tap tap tap it twice a day do his weather reports.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I can only reiterate what everyone has already said.

If we can help, drop us a pm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For the region,

20th wettest summer on record (2023)  followed by the 11th wettest autumn on record (2023) followed by  so far the 27th wettest winter on record (2023-24) giving a whopping 1112mm since the start of July last year.

An annual total of 1112mm would but that  year in the top 40 wettest years on record for the region......and this is just 7 and a half months. God knows what the July 2023-June 2024 rainfall total is going to end up as. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

severe snowstorm Good memories. Long gone. 

• Like 7

Posted

Fog suddenly appeared 20 minutes ago. Getting thicker 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Foggy 🌫 Damp, 4c  here in S Cheshire this morning. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looks like it’s a low level fog sort of morning.

certainly not bright and sunny up here but no mist or fog either.

• Like 6

Posted

Weather-history

"For the region,  20th wettest summer on record (2023)  followed by the 11th wettest autumn on record (2023) followed by  so far the 27th wettest winter on record (2023-24) giving a whopping 1112mm since the start of July last year"

...yep, we certainly paid for the 6 weeks of bone dry, blue sky weather last May/June.  Since that spell broke its been one wet spell after the other with just a few days drier here and there.  

The last few years do seem to have swung between lengthy wet and then dry spells, albiet with wet dominating.  Fingers crossed a switch to dry again will happen soon.  In NW England the period from March - June is our most reliable for dry periods.  That's due to increased prevelance of E'ly regimes as winter polar vortex disipates and the jet stream tends to weaken.

• Like 9

Posted

Yesterday morning and this morning, I have really enjoyed my early morning runs. Atmospheric mist, drifting around the fields and river, has been lovely.

After 5 months of darkness, light is filtering in whilst im out  (somewhere around 6am - 7am or so).  

Sadly both yesterday and so far today any clear skies above the mist has soon infilled and left grey skies.  Please, just a little bit of sunshine would be nice!

Edited by Maz
  • Like 8

Posted

We look to be in for a very good weekend for the time of year.. a misty start, the sun has cleared it. Rest of today set fine, bright/sunny, following on from a sunny bright day yesterday. A case of a window of good weather coinciding with the weekend, it is bringing a subtle shift in feel of things, the transition period between mid winter and into that hopeful 'late winter' feel that occurs in mid Feb.

• Like 7

Posted

It's not the same bright start as we had yesterday, but early mist and fog has thinned and hopefully things should brighten up into the afternoon.

• Like 5

Posted

Rush2019

I don't post too much but I just saw your post and wanted to send you my best wishes ,take care and good luck here's  to a healthy future for you 😊

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Fog has lifted and some brief spells brightness now peaking through the clouds. Off out for a long walk with the dog this afternoon so hope it stays dry at least. 

Out of interest (and because I’m sad 😄) I wanted to see what the 2018 BFTE was like here in S Cheshire as I was in London for the beast and easterlies although cold always tend to be not the best for low level NW England snow chances. I took a look on a few local pages for pics and it didn’t disappoint however - the pics are of Sandbach from the 28th Feb 2018 where heavy snow showers on the 27th were followed by a brief but intense very heavy snow squall & whiteout on the 28th. 

BA9BFC4F-DCF5-41AF-98F0-03EBBA706A86.jpeg

8D911C3F-1913-4058-B7D3-7593EF02F1AF.jpeg

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 8

Posted

Joe Snow I remember Feb/March 2018 more for the intense cold than any snow here. I've not felt so cold outdoors in my 23 years in S Cheshire as I did whilst walking my neighbour's dog on 1st March. Windchill didn't come into it!

Out all day yesterday, and fortunately turned out to be a nice day.

Very misty here first thing this morning and now alternating between damp misty bits and pieces of drizzle and bright periods. Quite odd!  

• Like 7

Posted

A Face like Thunder Yeah wind chill in London was something else too never felt so bitter it was like walking through Moscow 🥶 where I was in the N London suburbs we had 6-10cm overnight on the 27th into the 28th from heavy snow showers piling in from the Thames Estuary - the 28th Feb 18 started sunny but by mid morning  a brief but blizzard like snow squall very much like up north dumped a lot of snow in a short space of time followed by the tail end of Storm Emma on the 1st/2nd March that added a few more cm on top. London & the SE didn’t have as good a mid March mini beast as up here but I’m glad S Cheshire didn’t miss out on the fun & games. Think it’ll be a while till we see a beast on that magnitude & intensity again. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 6

Posted

The sun burst through before lunch here and it's turned into another decent day with partial cloud cover and sunny breaks.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Not to bad a day  bright morning some cloud now but feels mild in the calm conditions 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Foggy earlier  then it lifted into dark cloud. Some glimpses of the sun followed by light showers. 7°C

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Kasim Awan said:

Still got 2/3ft drifts next to dry stone walls.

Yes, can just about see them  they look like white dry stone walls.

20240210_111851.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Had a couple of showers before 1pm  otherwise it's been a very pleasant afternoon.  Treated to a rainbow in this evenings sunset.  Currently 7°C.

20240211_165612.jpg

20240211_165653.jpg

• Like 4