Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Had Worse it's been horrible for lack of sun since about July hasn't it? We had that decent June and then that was it.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

06z 

IMG_8661.thumb.webp.8b253209de5cea0147be5e968177c1f4.webp

Northerly correction? 

No thanks.

It’s half decent out here today. 

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

tricol  I think weird in the sense much of Europe has been very mild for the most part including much of The British Isles but less than 2 hours flight from Manchester , Stockholm and much of Sweden having its coldest winter for several decades with record low temps last month recorded in Sweden and Finland. Vienna on course to smash its warmest winter ever compared to Stockholm  which is likely to record its coldest winter this century so far.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Afternoon!

GFS 168 & 192.

Nice upgrade.

gfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.6d4b2d0c65e5af66158e8888e49cb6f3.pnggfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.0d8802633eeb22746370908515d6053b.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Scuba steve we’re going to fuerteventura on this one then off to Thailand and Dubai in October.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A very pleasant day, making up somewhat for a quite dismal week. Bright, dry and very mild, 12 degrees..A useable day, indeed a few people sitting out.

A very unsettled week ahead, very mild to start, temps Thursday and thereafter nearer average as we lose the tropical maritime air for polar maritime air..We might scrape a frost in any clear skies by end of the week. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

WillinGlossop our friends daughter and BF  have just done all three.

they weren’t keen on Cambodia but loved Laos and Vietnam, they spent Christmas and NY IN Laos.

• Like 5

Posted

Beautiful very, very early summers day here today, 50 odd Fahrenheit, blue sky, sun, windows down in car t-shirt on, baseball cap backwards, toads and newts coming out of hibernation, oh.. and it’s a lot lighter now 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Mark.C and then you realise your in Blackpool 😒😂

• Like 5

Posted

Its now the 14th wettest winter on record for the region, currently

20th wettest summer on record (2023)  followed by the 11th wettest autumn on record (2023) followed by  so far the 14th wettest winter on record (2023-24) giving a total of about 1146mm

An annual total of 1146mm would put that year within the top 30 wettest years on record. 

January and February 2024 have turned out wetter than January and February 2023, so the total from March 2023 to February 2024 so far is a whopping 1366mm.

An annual rainfall total of 1366 would make that year the 2nd wettest year on record for the region. That's how wet the last 12 months have been!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Weather-history Sounds horrible and that combined with full cloud cover for much of the past 12 months. When do those records go back ? I sure love my roots back in the Northwest but do not miss that terrible gloom for the most part. I watch all the Premier games on TV over here and have noticed how many of the pitches are looking a bit worse for all the rain and lack of ☀. Usually, they all look in pristine condition. I hope the change in wind direction later this week lifts the gloom for you lot. Sick of this mundane winter over here. Hardly seen a frost and thats at 1350m absl. Good news , plenty of snow coming to end the month , hopefully, and maybe some for you guys ?

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Weather-history Thats what you call dry humour... I'll get my coat.

Anyway, morning gang.

A breezy, grey , sunless start with a few showers passing.

I can vouch for the rainfall.  Every container outside is brimming. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Looks like a storm Christoph type event in terms of rain/snow transition Thursday morning. Not sure how low the snow line will get yet but one to watch.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
On 16/02/2024 at 08:55, A Face like Thunder said:

A bright mild start to the day after overnight rain. I am away this weekend and hope this pattern of weather continues.

I should be so lucky! I was at Blackburn and it rained all Friday and on Saturday afternoon and overnight into Sunday. Yesterday was nice but the abiding memory of the weekend was trying to avoid getting wet.

No such problems back home this morning and really mild again. Let's hope the early blossom doesn't get affected by a cold snap. 

• Like 8

Posted

The rest of Winter....

gordon-ramsay-i-give-up.gif.1bfb612bdde865403c5a2ee20fb6e4f8.gif

• Like 8

Posted

Day 10 The third winter in a row when our snowiest spell came very early... in 2021-22 in late Nov courtesy of Storm Arwen, in 2022-23 mid Dec, and this year on 2 Dec. 

Hoping for a wet mild start to winter 24-25 as early cold has been a bad omen for winter cold in core of season i.e. mid Jan- mid Feb. 

Its been another trying one for cold snow lovers, more so than most seasons given all the speculation it could deliver notable cold and snow, at least last year the signal was for early cold, and 21-22 signal for cold as a whole very poor. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted

damianslaw

We are so overdue a good Winter as a whole, let's hope it's next year. 🙃

• Like 7

Posted

My view is that any cold weather we receive in future, certainly any sustained or severe cold, will be very much against the run of play as it were. With rises in sea surface temperatures and the almost perma-high pressure over Iberia I think winters as they have been in the last few years will be the norm, with a general increase in the mildness as the years go on. Unless there is some sort of catastrophic collapse of ocean and air currents, and we end up with a Canadian climate. But that’s probably a tad unlikely at this stage.

• Like 6

Posted

trickydicky a depressing thought but probably true.

• Like 5

Posted

I don't know what's more depressing.. the lack of snow this winter or the abundance of overcast skies, even when the forecast was saying 'mostly sunny' for this afternoon. Bring on Spring showers and Summer high-pressure. At least i've seen the first Daffodils of the year in full-bloom amongst the Snowdrops so not all is lost.

65.thumb.jpg.1b498576e76c4713ac4fa7bd2eb42a0a.jpg

64.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A reasonable day today, quite cloudy, dry but some brightness at times.

Just had a good weekend of walking in the Lake District. The weather was a bit of a mixed bag and rather fitting that I was walking from Seathwaite on Saturday when heavy rain set in during the afternoon, given it is the wettest place in England. Everything, even footpaths, turned to rivers. Sunday was much drier though and even had some sun at times.

A bit disappointing that the highest summits remained in cloud all weekend, but rather moody and atmospheric yesterday with the low cloud rolling around the fell tops. 

We passed a load of toads basking in the sun on the footpath on the way out yesterday. At least, I assume they were toads rather than frogs. 

IMG_20240218_142728895.jpg

IMG_20240218_135117094_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_111023268_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_111946824.jpg

• Like 8