Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, misty, slightly damp

So today's stupid question: we seem to be under what Kernow Weather Team are calling "Nature's spin cycle", I don't know how to call it other than on the radar it's a sort of whirlpool of heavy showers. 

Does it just keep going round and round until it runs out of water? It doesn't seem to be moving *away", just round? 

Edited by TammasinWhiskers
Edit: image added nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

TammasinWhiskers the wind is very windy- I'm in St Buryan near Penzance on holiday for the week .

It's really picked up in the last hour but I'm not in the rain warning area.

As to your question I've no idea I'm afraid but I know what you mean . On the journey down it was very heavy showers even before tonight's warning .

It's lovely in Cornwall even with the rain and wind .

• Like 2

Posted

I'm happy to say we're not in the warning area either!

Just it absolutely legged it down about 3 o clock, the ceiling in the dining room has just about stopped dripping, and if it's going to keep coming round and round like chuffin' Groundhog Day that's it! I'm done! Going to emigrate for the Sahara! 

(I've not been out to St Buryan much, but the Derek Tangye books that are one of the reasons I moved down here are set on a flower farm down there, so I think I'd like to. We're in the middle, so we're a bit calmer.)

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking day today, plenty of sunshine, and felt quite mild at times walking the dog. Was down to a tshirt for a time while on the driving range this afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

TammasinWhiskers oh no I had no idea you had ceiling problems . That's not good .

Alderc 2.0 it was mild to start off the day , but once the wind and rain got going it dropped from 12C to 8C by the time we got to our destination - it was 4.30pm though . 

Posted

Somerset girl Had 'em for about three years now so it's not as alarming as it was once. Basically a slipped hanging tile on the gable end over a pitched roof extension, which has left us with cracked render underneath it. Had it repaired last year, then Storm Ciaran, and it's letting in water again. I imagine at some point over the summer we'll finally get enough calm weather to get someone out to it. We had someone booked to come out last week but winds were up to 35-40mph gusts again which is no kind of condition to be up a ladder so.... 

To be honest we only know it's a thing because some bleddy fool (ie me) poked a hole in the damp plasterboard to see if it was wet, else it would have just run down the battens and out over the door....

Posted

Andy Bown thanks for explaining .

its lovely here, listehing to the wind gusts while I'm cosy inside thanks to a lovely log burner.

Going to Sennen Cove tomorrow and st Michael's Mount Monday. 

The weather after that is a bit pants but will plan to visit museums etc . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It is blowing and has been  blowing a hoolie here since yesterday evening .

According to windy.com gusts up to 41 mph and I can believe that .

Not much in way of rain thankfully.  

Feels chilly mind you but not surprised but it is a very nice holiday cottage . I could easily live here - funds permitting of course . 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Was horrible overnight here - 40mph wind and rain that was hard enough to wake me up about 3.30am.

Very little of which came in the house, mind, but we now have a third (and fourth, and fifth) cat coming in when it's wet.

Oscar next door we don't mind, they tolerate him (barely, but they've known him since he was a teeny tiny kitten so they let him off ) - his people have an Air B&B to make ends meet, so sometimes he's not welcome at home if there are guests in. 

Goth Floof is just around and about, isn't a problem except that one of these days Tabs is going to break the back window trying to get out and hand him his bottom. 

The new one...not so sure. Has a home by all accounts but spent most of last night out in our garden crying piteously, I called them over to make sure they weren't hurt or ill, they're fine - a nice little thing, just worries me that s/he doesn't go home. So this morning I came downstairs, Fat Lad had spent the night in bed with me, the finger of suspicion did not point at him. Tabs is too much of a girlie girl. Someone had dropped a massive unsolicited brown gift in front of the kitchen sink, though.... 

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Lovely start to the day, near clear blue skies here.  Chilly at 7.3c but I can live with that.

Possibility of some showers later but a much better weekend overall than the recent, dull, grey, cloudy crap we’ve had to endure thanks to the HP to the South of us wafting moist, mild air up.  Unfortunately, that looks like returning come Tuesday onwards too.

Today & tomorrow, bar some showers, looking good though.  Off out to enjoy some late winter sunshine.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice to report still conditions.No frost with not a hint of rain.Very mild if not on the warm side.Really have to get out of bed.Too old for 2am drinks should stick to cocoa in future.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Early showers have moved through leaving us with blue skies and sunshine. 

More cloud out to the West, but fine for now.

Been postcreting iron in this morning, to keep the sleepers in check.🤞🏽

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Reached a peak of 8.8c here today.  Clouded over around lunchtime for a couple of hours but either side of that there has been plenty of sunshine.  Tomorrow is looking like a cracker too, albeit a bit chilly again with single figure maxima forecast IMBY.  It is still winter I suppose but being so late into winter & having had multiple 12/13/14c days recently, it’s a shame we can’t get a double figure maxima day to coincide with a non cloudy day.  Being picky though admittedly.

Really looking forward to the clocks going forward and some lighter evenings commencing now.  Hopefully we can get a nice warm spring with plenty of sunshine mixed up with some early, decent convective activity.  Like I said before though, knowing the UK’s luck, winter will return in March!

Now time to watch Villa stuff the Mancs hopefully.

Edited by AWD
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For a number of years now (and for a number of reasons) I do my outdoor work differently time wise in school holidays than during term time.

This kind of forecast simply does not happen on the first day of such a situation! Looking forward to it!

IMG_2765.png

IMG_2764.png

Posted

Brrrr, init cold here? Back from the delights of Switzerland, certainly feels colder here, and we were welcomed with some light rain! So this week looks set fair for more Atlantic oopse, I have to recall all the so called folks saying winter will be back end loaded, yes it's mid Feb, but would you really call for extreme winter weather at this point with CC and El Nino, have not changed our local weather (ignoring the snowfall further north as that is usual in a British winter).

Reading the various areas of reporting we seem to be heading to this: Predict a 79 percent chance that “neutral” conditions — the absence of either El Niño or La Niña — will be in place sometime between April and June.  Which sorta leaves March open to whatever, and what of the summer!

Being out of the country the last week seems we have missed the traditional large amounts of southern Uk rainfall, the New Forest is flooded wherever you look, and I have loads of buckets full to the brim. 

One point of note, it's not only the UK being affected by the seasonal warmth. The traditional celebration for the end of winter were moved in Lucerne by two weeks because the normal date at the end of Feb. proved last year that it was too warm for people to wear the celebration attire, face masks and clothing. It was noted even moving forward 2 weeks this year hasn't helped because again the temperatures were above 11C.😳

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nice to have a reasonably sunny day after the last few miserable days. Felt pleasant out of the breeze. 

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All, a nice frost to begin the week, with the overnight low of 0.1°C at: 07:50, currently 0.8°C, RH97% and still air, with a cloudless sky.

From Above

image.thumb.png.cdad2c1fcc0070964a320e19907fa9e8.png

On Golden sands

image.thumb.png.c398345bd19b16dc3ef787ada78e0b09.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A crisp start today with a light frost. That’s pretty much all gone now and it should wall to wall sun today. Perfect for trip to monkey world with the kids! 

• Thanks 1

• Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Warming up this week but looking mixed for Bank Holiday weekend

In the sunshine this week, it will feel warmer, with temperatures nudging up through the teens, even past 20C. However, the Bank Holiday weekend is looking a bit mixed. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts