Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well I thought there was a lot of water around on the ground last week but after the last couple of days that's significantly increased. Up to 109mm here this month, completely the opposite to last February when I only recorded 7mm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Dorsetbred Interesting that TORRO used the phrase 'Tornado Warning', which of course means something different in the US, viz. there's either a tornado which has been visually ID'd by a trained spotter or there is radar indicated mesocyclonic rotation that looks like it might spawn a tornado.

I guess most people over here would be a bit non-plussed if TORRO issued a 'Tornado Watch' ...

• Like 1

Posted

Well after two significant rainfalls the Avon is up 1 and a half feet will rise further no doubt.Will be over the banks by Saturday which creates the dilemma.Do I go fishing get wet for nothing or get wet doing paid work gardening...a tricky one 

• Thanks 1

Posted

jy get paid for being wet and then enjoy the fishing in better conditions which will come. Maximise enjoying the things you do in the best conditions possible.

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Thanks 1

Posted

River level at Downton... Thought it would be higher by now, but it is still rising.

Screenshot_20240223-063509.thumb.png.f4c9f6f1f618f0eb63f4c45807064441.png

The fields by the Avon are stodgy, but passable in boots.

• Like 1

Posted

Sound advice.The close season for fishing means 3 months off in 3 weeks.Then its work only lol

Posted

jtay getting interesting at Breamore the island is slowly getting covered but roads are clear

Posted

Thank goodness all the showers are dying out before reaching here this morning. It’s meaning a bright day (so far) with decaying anvils passing overhead. 

Posted

jy After that note, I walked to Downton and it was noticeably worse that yesterday.

Depending on what comes through on Sunday, I might be back in wellies on Monday.

On another subject, if I may jy... lawnmowers....

I'm sick of charging my Oregon 4 times to cut mine and next door's grass, so I'm going to go back to petrol.

Am I best going with a Stihl, for quality, etc, or is that just paying through the nose?

Do you have any advice please? Is it worth going self-propelled?

Posted

jtay I would say petrol every time.Dependent how often you cut and how big the area is then depends on if you get a pusher or self propelled.I do a fair bit of lawn mowing but small lawns.I purchased a new one from Screwfix for 150.It paid for itself 5 times over in a year.Get back to me before buying giving me a few answers.

• Like 1

Posted

jy That's interesting, thanks.

It's about 1100m2, between me and my neighbour.

They had some pros in last week and were shocked by the bill, so I've offered to keep mowing it; but they're insisting on paying me now. I should therefore be able to get a decent(ish) one, if it's going to pay for itself.

Anyway, off to meet the team at Horatio's in a minute, to keep learning. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Morning (just) All, a bright sunny morning, has something gone wrong of has the rain bucket in the sky completely emptied after the last few days? Anyway, the overnight low of 3.2°C at: 06:38, has risen to 8.2°C, RH79% with light air movement form the SW. Expecting possible showers later this 'arvy.

From Above

image.thumb.png.6a7b952e01a2249ed5b452ab7d43f3c2.png

On Golden sands, a lot more folks in the water today, but the see is calmer than yesterday.

image.thumb.png.a27c1718d5db67c18c5de348c37bd850.png

The same view in 1935 (c/o Bmth Echo), noticeable less surfers then!

image.thumb.png.5f3e1518784e9736da835c9d9d6be9dc.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Apart from a hail shower during the early hours, there's been no measurable rain today. Temp maxed at 9.8°C.

I made some changes to my MTB. New wheels as I had a slight issue with the old ones. Rim was slightly too small for the tyres.

New front chainring and new brake discs & ceramic pads.

That's it until May. 😅

20240223_163557.thumb.jpg.1e05a7f6575243e38e989611f5db3ec8.jpg 20240223_163402(1).thumb.jpg.e0e8f41c11400aeba9b5c44b4c272cde.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

1.8°C here now which is easily the lowest I've seen it for weeks. 

• Thanks 1