Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Still 0c here but the radar is pretty poor now for south Yorks. Light echoes but it's not doing anything at ground level.

Starting to slowly melt now, slid off the car bonnet and sides and some other surfaces.

Nice to see falling snow while it lasted though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Still pelting it down here, not stopped since mid-morning. Very impressive in its longevity and radar shows more to come. Went out for a walk in it for a couple of hours around lunchtime and, while it was pretty nasty for a while walking into the teeth of it, it was interesting to see the difference coming from elevation (I went down to 85m and up to 200m).

Also evident was westward facing hollows often having very limited snow, showing the effect of the high winds pushing it horizontal. Eastward facing with greater depths than elsewhere for the same reason.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Left Shef Uni at 12 got home at 3. A journey which normally takes twenty minutes. A lot of very selfish driving not letting people out deliberately blocking the exit even though they wouldn't be going anywhere for ten to twenty minutes. How much extra time is going to cost one if you let someone turn right out of a junction.

Posted

Very lucky we haven't got freezing rain looking at the temp of 0.2C.

Posted

Heaviest snow of the day and temps down from 2 to 0 in an HR 😁

• Like 1

Posted

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate these setups - and they literally dominate over proper spells these days. Overcast, dull and persistent rain (11mm so far) with a temp of 2C and strong easterly wind. Meanwhile inland get a winter wonderland. It's miserable weather.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It snowed pretty much all day in Castleford at work. Didn't settle for a while but started to cover roads after lunchtime. The drive back to Tinshill wasn't too bad but even the main roads were a bit slushy. 

I was surprised to find that there's not really any more here than there was in Cas. Often we'll have snow here and none in Cas when I get to work. It's been great to see snowfall all day, the trees looked absolutely beautiful on the drive home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Icy days

Heavy snow all afternoon in Harrogate.  Just been out to measure it and we've had 9cm so far.

Posted

Turned to snizzle now. Temp still at 0.2c. Ended up with about 4.5cm, which is 4.5cm more than I expected yesterday evening! Shame it will be gone by tomorrow. Not the best snow event but given the crap winter better than nothing!

20240208_171744.jpg

20240208_170656.jpg

20240208_164951.jpg

20240208_164107.jpg

20240208_164217.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

It's not me driving or taking the video but this some of the senseless driving you have to put up with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

You were right again @Wold Topper, just miserable rain all day. Strangely the valley on the other side of the hill had snow falling in the sleet but too wet to lay. Then turned to rain again once dropped down to Scarbados.

Only drama we’ve had on the wolds is power cut yet again. No idea why…you’d forgive it if it was due to snow! An hour off this morning, just enough to make you realise you’d better charge things up, which thankfully I did. Went off again at 2.30pm & not looking positive for it to be back on til later this evening if we’re lucky. Currently sat twiddling thumbs with candles & fire on. 

• Like 2

Posted

reef Do feel for you guys out east. I remember the 80s as a kid seeing a foot of snow from showers on the news/weather, down the east coast whilst we just had frosts and sunny days. 

Crazy how the east coast gets very little from northerlys now to 30/40 years ago.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

An hour off this morning,

We had this one as well, not weather related as far as I can see. Decided to give it 30 mins, had given up and was putting overalls on to go and get generator out connected and started as I work from home when it came back on. Very wet here with just the slightest hint of sleet this afternoon. In all a dull wet miserable day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Melting fast now which is sorry to see. Always makes me upset lol.

Foggy as well now which is a sure sign the milder air is arriving and riding over

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

It started here around 9am and is still coming down. Not that much in the centre of Leeds but up here (200m) we’ve had a good 4 inches or so. 

Posted

Turned to drizzle and ice pellets here but not thawing as still 0.1c

Perhaps we could get a bit more later but unlikely I would have thought. 

Measured 7cm. 

IMG20240208170911.jpg

IMG20240208181157.jpg

IMG20240208181123.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

joggs I've noticed that the Vale of York has become virtually snowless as well - there have been many times in recent years where we've had a decent snowfall but York has had nothing.

I can only assume that the overall increase in temperature means places like York and Hull are usually on the wrong side of marginal now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

City centre by 6, pavements slushy, roads clear...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

As I mentioned last night, these events always surprise either for the good or bad, today was good, some videos and pictures from Birkenshaw at work. 7cm there on car, about 4cm at home in Garforth. 

20240208_123518.thumb.jpg.6028809870ed7dd65b46fc7cbcf6a28e.jpg20240208_131047.thumb.jpg.e79fe994295fe8985564c6a780ebeac5.jpg20240208_131119.thumb.jpg.178ee9ca9060bee30920cabc804afd35.jpg20240208_144542.thumb.jpg.76ddae2d99b7943640d5f4cfd9be1ec1.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Rain here now. Odd big flakes just stopped.