Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted

sheikhy Good for central and north Midlands. Some large totals shown but likely to be brief as milder air pushes up from the south Thursday night.

Here are all the models that run out far enough.

IMG_3737.jpeg

IMG_3739.jpeg

IMG_3740.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg

IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

sheikhy 50 mile shift south from what the GFS shows on the 00z would probably make this the event of this winter season for all of us and would likely result in colder air hanging on longer in the days after.  At this range that relatively small shift is not beyond the realms of possibility. 🤞❄️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Still looks okay for some heavy snow briefly on the leading edge but the UKMO has definitely backtracked a bit this morning with how quickly the 0c 850 line moves Northwards. I think elevation will also be key in this. The North Midlands will fare better as well and have snow for longer. I think the reason i'm not that excited by this is that it's going to turn to heavy rain later on Thursday into Friday and wash away any snow we may have. I just can't get excited over sleet/snow to rain events, but I guess I can't be picky after such a rubbish Winter and have to take it at this stage 😂

ukmohd-16-72-0.png

ukmohd-1-78-0.png

ukmohd-1-60-0.png

• Like 2

Posted

MattStoke That's true! Got the 12 week scan for my girlfriend on Thursday to see how baby is doing, so I hope the roads will be clear 😂 but I do want to see some heavy snow. I think you'll do well in Stoke, you'll have snow for longer before it turns to rain, just disappointing how it does look like it's going to be washed away by Friday morning.

• Like 2

Posted

andy_leics22 Ironically, the GFS now has snow cover hanging on here through the weekend whereas other models show it melting away.

Maybe snowy scenes will give ideas for baby names 👶

Posted

Snow warning cancelled 😭

Assume they're writing up a new one. Tension builds!

Edit: OK, no. They've actually just removed the warning for me. Bizarre given the model output. Disagree with that entirely.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

MattStoke considerable shift northwards in that warning area. Surprised they didn't wait until later today to make that change. The majority of there model forecasts must suggest very little outside of that area. Even within it they talk about 2-5cms away from higher ground. 🤦

Posted

MKN Every publicly available model shows significant snow here. I'm completely confident that they're wrong. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Isn't it entirely possible that many of us will see falling snow but very little of it will settle? Hence the warning moving north into air where settling is more likely?

• Like 1

Posted

MattStoke

That's bizarre! The latest runs show heavy snow on the leading edge. I don't know what they have access to that we don't.

Posted

Seem to get more snow here when there isn't a warning, anyway 😅

ICON again shows that there really should be a warning here.

06_54_ukpreciptype.png

06_54_uksnowdepth.png

Posted

MattStoke The snow totals do look lower here on that update 😔 I think the warning will come back for Stoke but maybe not Leicester and surrounding areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

MattStoke looks like settling snow for just the Welsh mountains and peak district on the second chart. If so, MetOffice warning area is correct. 

• Like 1

Posted

Eskimo Not unless the Peak District has been stretched out southwards. It shows 4cm of snow over me and it's normally one of the few models to be conservative with snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Met office for me, light snow 9am, heavy snow midday and sleet 3pm, think might be a bit at 6am then milder by 9am

Posted

Met Office just updated the warnings and a big downgrade for Central Midlands. Bust again for us in Hinckey. Bring on the Spring ASAP please 🙏 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

I'm confused as to why the met have removed the warning for us. There's been a shift south on the 6z runs.. could they have left it until tonight's runs to see if a shift south again is plausible? 

Little accumulating here but Stoke on some charts seeing 5cms +. 

• Like 1