Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

MattStoke The strange thing is, despite the downgrades from the UKMO, my Metcheck forecast for Thursday is a big upgrade. I wonder what model is used for that forecast? Maybe the ARPEGE? 0c for most of the day, surely not 😂 Only yesterday morning it was showing 9c by 10pm on Thursday. Massive difference now.

Screenshot_20240206-124036_Chrome.jpg

Posted

still quietly hopeful that we might see something. My kids follow my interest in the weather and have declared Thursday a "snow day" already. Hopefully it will come through for them - usually only takes a few flakes for the school to close anyway!

• Like 1

Posted

Snow symbols fighting back 

IMG_3288.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

3 hours heavy snow for me, then light snow then sleet/rain, but with temp of 3, too high for snow still this time of year, March April then maybe so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

image.thumb.png.f48969646b2124aa5c1ebb4bea3b8365.pngimage.thumb.png.e38a4725cae13baa2d200dc00fe2cf08.png

Some of the higher areas of Leicestershire look a bit better compared to lower down surrounding areas. Here it's still showing sleet and not cold enough. Still time for changes.

Just to add, Cannock chase even better, first 0C i've spotted.

image.thumb.png.69dfb46604243b8246ab65237096de6a.png

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Metwatch It could be that borderline 😣 Coalvile always tends to fare a bit better as they're 150-200m ASL. Where I am in Ratby, we are around 110m ASL, so we have a bit of height but not much. I wish we were 200-300m ASL here, because we would be in with a much better chance 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Aye, elevation key as always, Stoke tends to do better around 190m asl, 100m or so is often too low for dumpings this far inland

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

I remember Atlantic 252 146m where I live and 109m where I work. Not normally a problem.

I'm wondering if the removal of the warnings may be partly down to a warm sector shown to develop just west of the Peak District. However, I see that modelled on every snow event and it's not normally an issue in Stoke.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Shezale coventry

midlands used to be a good spot for snow over the years 1981 82 85 86 87 91 96

You missed the biggie out Dec 1990 !

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

It's a right rollercoaster on the met office app, was looking rubbish this morning, then later gave me 2 hours of heavy snow, but quickly switched to heavy rain. Now it's going for sleet all day, which would be better then rain, especially if it's just the right side of marginal to be more snowy than sleety.

• Like 1

Posted

Not surprising to see the ICON increasing the snow risk. Often a step behind the other models.

Posted

GokouD Yep, same here, heavy snow to sleet. back to heavy snow and so forth!  A trip to the Shropshire Hills Thursday?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

chris pawsey If anywhere in the Midlands is going to get snow, its definitely not Warwickshire I guarantee you that!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

MattStoke Every miles further south helps! 

Can see the reason for the snow increase with the 850s

1AM

06ZICON.thumb.jpeg.1b5ddb6b77b469b83191db83db2ea6da.jpeg12ZICON.thumb.jpeg.032c7a3771859e0b2846bc15166410bd.jpeg

1PM

06ZICON2.thumb.jpeg.e25fd7d983fd2d36745f7564dceb7966.jpeg12ZICON2.thumb.jpeg.5ebc2dbfaa7ad71f20813afd2e7a1745.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

MKN Arpege with snow right down to just to the north and west of London. I think those warnings might need adjusted south again!

arpege-45-99-0.png

• Like 3