Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow

reef I've noticed, for the 2023 period as a whole that I am located right under that lovely little blob of grey just in the upper left corner of that south-east quadrant. I should probably be grateful that I'm not wherever that triple grey blob is on the south coast of Kent. Anti-depressant prescriptions in that region must increased ten-fold. I know our perceptions don't alwats match the stats but it really feels like the sun has been absent for such unusually long periods. Probably because my mental health is so crap and all that grey gloom feels like an extra heavy weight to carry so I probably feel it more than I would if my serotinin levels were higher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

reef Indeed. Getting sunnier-than-average months in winter is like a double-edged sword. In one sense it's good because any sunshine at this time of year helps, but at the same time it almost feels like a waste when I think most of us would rather have a sunnier-than-average summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow

*Stormforce~beka*  It really is! Usually I go on big long rants about how awful our climate is to people and they just look at me like I'm mad but tellingly this year they have all agreed and joined in! Everyone is fed up. I usually use a lightbox during this time but have had to stop as it has started causing me insomnia. Only about 4 more weeks of this and March should bring some relief, hopefully. Stay strong and make the most of any 3 - 5 minute period of watery, weak sunlight we may be mercifully granted !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyway, you can always predict when days of knee-jerk reactions and wildly optimistic ramping have turned out to be less than accurate, it'll all be the fault of the ECM, the GFS or the UKMET. . . When, at the end of the day, our weather is not beholden to anything or anyone, but to itself. 🤔

• Like 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka*  I have dual citezenship as my Parents are Italian. I just need to learn how to speak it! I also have family in connecticut, USA. Shame they're not in California. Typical Italians flocking to the eastern seaboard! I'd prefer Spain though. Cold enough in winter for snow in the mountains and high sunshine levels. Perfect really. I might regret that during a 40 degree heatwave but I'd always compare it to the hostile, angry gloom that seems to relish in inflciting misery on those who live underneath it here. Its my new life goal. I love the culture and history of the UK but its hard to appreciate when you are driving up the A419 at 90mph trying to chase a patch of broken sky with sun poking through on the horizon before it sets at 4pm! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Seems like another cold chase is starting up. I can't see it ending well, considering even the most fantastic outputs have backtracked massively. The next major disappointment is bound to be an early spring while Russia gets a fat SSW.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

cheese  Or we could have a bit of alternating mix and variety like I seem to remember us having. A crap week followed by a nice weekend, a few days of sunny frost then a rainy week. One day sunny the next wet. What happened to that? Now we have a three month drought follwed by 6 months of rain. A month of clear skies followed by 4 months of daily gloom. We get stuck in patterns now that wont move for weeks and weeks and in the winter this variety and fast turnover of weather systems seems to have become completely absent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Well, i'm glad to be away from the madness, rain, and nothing but rain, probably too much rain

Despite the weird shaped amber's put out by the Met Office, i always remember that most people live in the large towns and cities, with their own heat-island effects, rather than on top of hills

The highest spots could do well from it, but for most, it's one of those horrible, sleet / wet snow to rain events

Temps may start off around 1c, then gradually rise.. the drip drips are there from the start, and nothing lasts very long

May you find some enjoyment from it, if you can. This winter stinks, can't wait for Spring to arrive

• Like 4

Posted

The lack of breeze is making all the difference today, it actually feels a lot more pleasant than some of the milder days we've had. Didn't even need a scarf and gloves today.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

They're going for a split vortex now but my impression is that any subsequent cold breaks will head into Russia or Canada, that would make sense given how the ensembles have trended lately.

Posted

East Lancs Rain lol, indeed. This photo is from my Finland trip last week, winter tyres and everyone driving around without a care in the world..

20240203_132840.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

this certainly seems to suggest that there's no guarantee of cold arriving our way...

I think he is actually pointing otherwise, that’s a good signal same happened in February 2018 split I recall, one shard in NW Russia and then the frigid easterlies arrived. The actual vortex lobe itself does not bring cold weather to UK as waters around us significantly moderate it.

Posted

lassie23 it sounds like the hopes of a cold March have taken a hit this evening, I'm sure someone was saying that the cold anomalies in the forecasts got downgraded to average anomalies. Makes you wonder what the long range is picking up on 👀 It also sounds like there's a high pressure system forming over us that's expected to be persistent, hopefully it'll block the cold out!

Daniel* having looked at how the models are trending I'm still unconvinced that we'll see it affect us. More likely it'll get stuck in the east.