Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Summer8906 I think your perceptions are wrong because the Met Office state that recent years have been sunnier and warmer than 1961-1990. See this blog post for the sunshine statistics 

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

2022 was a record-breaking year for weather and is a sign of the UK’s changing climate.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

markyo There are people just down the road from me that have been flooded out three times in as many weeks.  As soon as we get a days wet weather, up go the river levels again. 

The problem is, all the gully and storm drains out fall into that river. Once those pipes are submerged they're useless.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
2 hours ago, SunnyG said:

All that drama about wind and rain and yesterday was just an ordinary winter day with a bit of wind (not strong enough to call it a gale) and rain. How did that warrant a yellow warning I honestly do not understand.

I agree there was just about no wind. However the rain here was notable for its longevity, at least. The first pulse lasted most of Wednesday daytime, then it eased off overnight, then the second wave lasted much of yesterday finally clearing around 3pm.

Definitely a notable rain event here, at least. Extensive surface water here, if the lows on Sunday and next Thursday-ish are potent I suspect we could have real problems in this area.

Posted

SunnyG

17mm of rain fell in N20 yesterday, that's one-third of the Feb average falling in one day so definitely not ordinary!
There was a particularly intense spell in the afternoon after 2pm which was accompanied by a squall - it was a horrible day

• Like 2

Posted

Sun Chaser No anger, I was merely expressing surprise that someone would hope for a month of very wet weather when flooding was already an issue, and how you can construe from my comment that I think that anyone chooses the weather is a complete mystery to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

ANYWEATHER winters in Europe are milder & shorter than they were 50 or 60 years ago, and this difference is most pronounced in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. It really isn’t a matter of opinion.

Why certain people continue to react angrily to this I will never understand. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Summer8906 agree. The rain was ridiculous yesterday. Don't think it needed any sort of weather "warning though" it was just raining for basically the whole day. Which, whilst grim and frustrating, isn't dangerous or something to warrant warnings. Just a dark, dull and wet 'Winter' day.

I imagine the combo of the rain with wind in coastal regions would've been pretty bad though. 

Posted

cheese I can confirm. Even now it looks like Spring has already started in Nordic because the next 3 weeks are warm. It's so warm right now with temperatures hitting 10 degrees to the South, not really in Scandinavia but in Estonia it's going to be very possible this weekend. That tells you how much climate changes. Winters are going to be shorther, even Western Russia right now snow is melting which is just so early for this time of year.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

cheese that’s your opinion, it doesn’t make it everyone else’s. I gave you a statistic and they were saying back then the same as you are saying now. Anyway enough of that debate😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

It's raining again 😆 

literally the only day on the foreseeable forecast that wasn't forecasted to have rain...and it still rains. What is even the point of checking the forecasts? They've been so inaccurate the last 12 months.

Lmao. So done with this country's climate. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ANYWEATHER Sorry but it's noticeable that the winter is much shorter. In the UK you may not notice it but I'm from Northern Europe and I can tell you from experience that winters are getting shorter. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Markus03 Winters are definitely getting shorter but still looks in the thick of it in Estonia, from a quick Google...

Lack of snowfall is the main thing I'd say is unusual there for Feb.

Screenshot_20240223-130251~2.png

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Sure, some winters may have long winters but they're getting much more rare. Very unusual that the whole of Estonia will be snow free too early. But then again, winter started quite early which means cold can't stay forever because the wind direction will change sometimes.

Edited by Markus03
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The current scene in Tallinn, Estonia. Looks very much the same as the UK right now. Grey, damp and miserable. 

DCF0B38D-14DF-4AB6-BB28-A19EB53B4CFD.thumb.png.c2531228f12e0ef7641a7f8db77638c8.png

• Like 3

Posted

Ok, looks like forecast has changed a little bit but 9 degrees still possible in the South. A few days ago it looked like Tallinn was about to hit 10 degrees. image.thumb.png.ccda1ff1c3daabb38ccdc38f1cafdaa5.png

cheese This literally feels like I'm watching the UK. I actually was in Estonia yesterday and noticed the difference between that and Finland. It's foggy here too but snow definitely helps that it's not too depressing. 

Posted

cheese Fair. It's cold but not Baltic I imagine. 

I went to Tallinn some years back (2019) in Jan and it was below freezing during the day. Nights were around -8 / -10c. Lots of snow as well.

Not sure if that's "standard" or a bit of a cold spell they were having, but definitely great winter weather. A mix of sun and snow.

Posted

Cold periods can actually be very cold but usually just a few weeks. Otherwise it looks like the main setup is either Westerlies or Southerlies. 

Posted

Current snow map. You can see how pretty much all the Baltics have lost snow. They can be in the East but it's going to get more foggy as decades go by.

image.thumb.png.4ad7b7563bc71b8ee8b639d189cb67cc.png

Look at next week! No snow at all. image.thumb.png.41de36c54095401094dfccfa7dae9d7b.png

Edited by Markus03
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, markyo said:

We need the cold desperately, ask any arable farmer, the water logged fields need a good freeze to help with the breaking up of the clag most  are faced with, dry yes needed but not mild. Nature also needs the reset of the weather, this mild Winter is detrimental, not a positive.

Looking at the forecast for here, it’s turning drier and brighter but also colder with a few frosty nights forecast. Not a big freeze but realistically that’s not going to happen unless we get a beast from the east.

4DE56B52-1A79-4E26-B1A2-49269B998BB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Markus03 very unusual for the Alps back between 1940/60 to have a record lack of snow ……

Posted

Really strange thing going on with the sky this afternoon. Can anyone explain what this phenomenon is? The sky should be some shade of grey shouldn't it? This blue stuff looks really weird. Not a fan. 

PXL_20240223_141527696.jpg

• Like 1