Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

markyo it’s spring? 20c is very common in April or am I missing something 

• Like 3

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* To be fair it does depend on the house. Mine is very draughty, so if the weather is cold and still the heating needs a lower set point to feel comfortable than if is milder but breezy. In short, heating gets more use if it's 10C and 30mph wind than 5C and 0mph wind.

• Thanks 1

Posted

TwisterGirl81 What's less common at this time of year are such high overnight lows - many places staying at 12-13C overnight Friday into Saturday, which is much more unusual. It's also unusual to have temperatures in the low 20s associated with fairly high humidity - around 60-70% forecasted.

It's also the earliest in the year I think I've seen a feels like temperature higher than the actual. At this time of year even a slight breeze usually makes it feel cooler, or even cold, but some locations are showing e.g. 20C feels like 21C, despite 40 mph winds, which is very unusual for spring - that sort of humidity isn't usually present.

In short, the actual temperatures won't be that notable, but the type of heat is, at least for the time of year (obviously 20-21C even with high humidity isn't hot in absolute terms by any reasonable definition).

Edited by WYorksWeather
  • Insightful 2

Posted

TwisterGirl81 Likewise, I'm looking forward to some warmth and even moderately hot weather this spring/summer/autumn or whenever it happens. But, as a matter of personal preference, I'll say no thanks to anything exceeding the low 30s.

But to be fair, that's pretty rare at my location anyway, so you can have 35C or higher in the south if you want it, just as long as it's not more than about 31-32C here 😀.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

WYorksWeather It's a result of sky high SSTs; until they start going down we are going to be stuck in eternal autumn with high humidity and frequent rain being the norm. At that point you can only hope some kind of height like a Scandi or Euro takes hold and physically stops the cyclones from landing. Warmth from any such systems will be unusually humid for the time of year and more reminiscent of August or September.

This will also become much more common over the century, autumn will essentially last from mid-October to mid-late April with frequent stormy interludes and the rest of the year will mostly be like August and September. The seasonality of our climate is rapidly changing from the four-season model to a bimodal hot/mild model more typical of southern Europe. I honestly think July 2023 was a massive perturbation and a very low probability course for the year that was coming, and the rest of the summer was on course to proceed more like September and October did, very, very warm (which would have translated to very hot in July/August) and humid.

4 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

But to be fair, that's pretty rare at my location anyway, so you can have 35C or higher in the south if you want it, just as long as it's not more than about 31-32C here 😀.

If it's 35°C in Devon then it's either August 1990 or it's probably over 40°C in East Anglia and the South East! 🥵 Any serious heatwaves that do reach us this year will very likely be in the form of humidwaves like July 2019 or August 2020, carrying very high humidity along with extremely high temperatures. Have a look at Zurich in August 2023 for an idea of the sort of heatwave that could plausibly hit us this year, keeping in mind that it's at 500+m elevation.

Posted

WYorksWeather it’s not too common to get temps of over 30c even here In Exeter, probably only happens half a dozen times a year, being on a peninsula must temper the temperatures a little unlike the south east where it’s multiple times a year.

I’m quite happy with temps of 22c to 27c as long as there’s lots of sun and overnight rain  🌞 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

MP-R it’s just not been a cold winter at all. It’s only been ‘wintry’ in the damp/wet/gloomy/windy sense. Even in Central Europe we only had a a week or so of what I’d call cold. Otherwise, it’s been nearly identical to the UK with buckets of rain, cloud and wind. Seems to improving quite dramatically this week though

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

stainesbloke This winter was a complete disaster in central Europe, for some areas February was warmer than the warmest March on record 😬

• Like 3

Posted

CryoraptorA303 Yeah apologies  - I always think Devon = south and very warm, but of course as soon as I thought about it for more than about 10 seconds once I read your comment I realised that the coastal breeze would tend to knock a few degrees off. Not thinking too clearly tonight!

In terms of the SSTs - you're absolutely right - particularly near the Azores, our old friend from winter is returning (see my model thread post).

Posted

WYorksWeather I wish ha yes it really does, often in summer London and  many places in the south east are often 5C warmer than us, unless the heat builds, heatwave or comes at us from the east we are usually cooler. Our warmest temperature recorded was  just over 34c In 1976 but I’m dubious on that because I cannot believe we haven’t surpassed that since then in this warming world, I know we came close in 2022, but then Wikipedia aren’t very accurate as it still has our September record down as just over 27c but we reached 29c last September. I tried to find monthly temperature records for Exeter on met office website but couldn’t find it  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

stainesbloke Rubbish innit. Wouldn't mind the lack of cold if it were predominantly dry with sunshine i.e. strong Euro High extending into the UK, but the winter just gone has been an absolute joke really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

In Absence of True Seasons Look at the date the article was published. 🤣

Posted
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I tried to find monthly temperature records for Exeter on met office website but couldn’t find it

Exeter's all-time record is 33.5°C set during August 2022.

Devon's all-time record is, as far as I know, 35.4°C at Saunton Sands on August 3rd 1990. Chivenor may have marginally unseated it on July 18th 2022 but Starling's Roost is annoyingly down at the moment so I can't check.

The record for the whole South West Met Office region is 36.0°C at Bude on July 18th 2022. For the administrative region which includes Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, 37.5°C at Cirencester seems to be the record on July 19th 2022.

raz.org.rain You would be right. With 38.4°C at Nantwich on July 19th 2022, the North Wales and North West England region has a higher all-time record than the administrative South West, let alone the Met Office definition!

The South West is actually one of my preferred locations in the UK due to the dampened extremes. It comes at the cost of higher humidity but during long heatwaves buildings will not get anywhere near as hot. Outside of Dartmoor and Exmoor the sunlight totals really aren't that much different from further east, with south Devon even rivalling the Hampshire and Sussexes coast.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 Oops, looks like none of us caught onto it 🤣

• Like 1

Posted

Glad to be in sunny Mexico at the moment, though it's supposed to be 27C in Slovakia on Sunday. Greetings from Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific coast:

20240403_153750.thumb.jpg.0ef44c09b4fd5483b058ccd936d2a0a7.jpg

20240402_191313.thumb.jpg.1e8c60e3d7330f6104e0e50785cdebc7.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
51 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I’m quite happy with temps of 22c to 27c as long as there’s lots of sun and overnight rain  🌞 

My mother often says that her ideal climate would be warm and sunny everyday all year round and only rain at night. 🙂 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

raz.org.rain possible though we have warmer averages than you in every month, we are slightly sunnier too but given that you have more land mass around you then you are more at risk of extreme temperatures during heatwaves than we are due to being a peninsula.

No offence but i think I’ll stay in Devon 😉 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

TwisterGirl81 It's pretty much spot on average for the first 20c of the year.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

No offence but i think I’ll stay in Devon 😉 

Don't blame you, I'd move there tomorrow if I had the means to and I wouldn't be hours and hours away from family.

• Like 1

Posted

Saturday looked decent, when i looked at Met Office website, small chance of a shower, higher temps, and a sun symbol

Then i checked the winds - gusts into the 50's and even 60's !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

*Stormforce~beka* naw lying on couch , missus has taken to spare room to avoid 🙄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

*Stormforce~beka* I know how you feel , my missus runs with  the pride every night , she sounds like a lioness 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1