Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

richie3846 to be honest, it's worse than a January day ,many of them warmer than now, being outside in this is rubbish anytime of year, but if it were a January day ,you would except it as being what it is for the time of year, but late April ,your expectations are a lot higher ,than what they are in January, 7c this time of year stinks knowing that it should be at least twice that just to get something close to an average temperature! 😩

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just got back from 10 days of glorious warm sunshine in Fuerteventura, and the spring is just as wretched as it was before.

Comfortably the worst spring I've ever experienced. 6C and drizzle barely a week from May is appalling.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, SunnyG said:

I honestly never knew Fennoscandia was a thing

Me neither?! 🤔 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It's taking a while to warm up this year it seems.

Just has well it didn't cool down that much in autumn and winter then!

After a slightly wet start today, has been largely dry but rather overcast.

Edited by Don
  • Thanks 1

Posted

More of that unwelcome low pressure dares to return on Friday, but this time the winds are Easterly not Westerly. I suppose there is hope for Easterlies

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

richie3846 Most Aprils also have 150-200 hours of sun, and don't follow months and months of extreme rainfall and cloudiness.

• Like 1

Posted

richie3846 yes ,but this is exceptional and doesn't happen every spring, not for many years...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Temperatures struggling to climb much above 7C today, and the coldest 22nd April on record here is 7.9C in 1936. End of April 2020 had a notably chilly day as well of around 7.5C, on the 28th, so this is certainly around the bottom of climatology!

Some good news though is that last week was both the first week to be drier than average, and sunnier than average since one of the weeks back in mid January here, so a marker improvement compared to earlier this month. Monthly sunshine total has climbed above 100 hours, but still another 45 to go to reach April average. By this point in April 2020 there had been 190 hours of sunshine.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The forecast today was for some light showers, even though the main rain band was to stay further west. It's actually stayed completely dry, and there have even been a few, brief glimpses of milky sunshine. 

A chilly day, but at least it's been useable and dry, with light winds. 

• Like 1

Posted

B87 We are on 108 hours of sunshine with 9 days left, so locally we may pass 150 hours. It's been a reasonable month round here, once we got past the first few days. Also I'm pretty sure around 10 percent gets added on to the raw figure. We've discussed this before but it does seem you are comparing adjusted data to raw figures on a regular basis. 

Posted

richie3846 We probably won't get above 130 hours here, even with the true adjusted values.

April average is just shy of 180 hours, there is zero chance we will get anywhere near it.

Edited by B87

Posted

ANYWEATHER No it's not exceptional. The majority of Aprils have days in single figures. I just browsed weather data for Brize Norton and the vast majority of years over the last 15, have days below 10c. This is just a normal April day even if people don't like it, it's normal had happens most years I'm afraid. Let's not get preferences get in the way of facts. 

B87 What are you on at the moment? We've got the longest days of April to come, so totals can increase quite quickly. 

• Like 1

Posted

richie3846 The forecast for the next week is showing very little at all in terms of sunny days. We would need to average about 10 hours a day just to get near average.

If this is a normal April day, then so are the days that we get in the low 20s.

Posted

richie3846  it's a long time since I recorded only 7c/45f at this time of year as a maximum, so yes it's more exceptional to the norm,  not unprecedented ,yes  ,but doesn't happen every year ,yes April is a fickle month. April 2008 for instance had a good four inches of snow here ,that was about early mid April time , came overnight and was all gone by mid afternoon!  And yes the day it snowed like that it reached 12c/54f . But todays cold and damp greyness puts more of an exceptional feel to this time in April.......😨

Posted

ANYWEATHER oh yeah it's definitely on the bottom end of the range. My original point was, it's not that wet and not too windy, so doesn't feel unpleasant really, for work. It could have been worse and we should be grateful for small mercies.

As usual, it turned into a massive debate 🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Don This is what is so frustrating about our climate. We get some good weather setups, but more often than not they are at the wrong times of the year. The warmth we had last autumn is what we should have had during that year's summer. The mild weather during the winter is what we should have had during the autumn. This current setup would have been great during the winter.

It would be nice to have more years that actually feel seasonal. 2018 was a good year for seasonal weather.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

April 2024 so far gets a 4/10. Not felt too bad despite the only fine weather being the 11th-14th and 20th/21st. Storm Kathleen was actually quite pleasant. The issue is the rain days and low sunshine totals (The 16th brought in an unexpected thunderstorm at night)

I'd says Spring 2024 has been a 4/10 so far too, as I would give March 2024 a 4/10 (Somehow looks excellent compared the that horrible March last year)

Edited by baddie

Posted
26 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

No it's not exceptional. The majority of Aprils have days in single figures. I just browsed weather data for Brize Norton and the vast majority of years over the last 15, have days below 10c. This is just a normal April day even if people don't like it, it's normal had happens most years I'm afraid. Let's not get preferences get in the way of facts. 

It’s April 22nd…. The facts are your wrong. 

Posted

Daniel* 27th/28th April 2018 would have been a near-record low if it happened just a few days later

Edited by baddie

Posted

The maximum today here was 7.7C. The last time any day in the last 10 days of April was colder than that was 25th April 1997 when it reached 7.5C. The date record low maximum is 6.0C in 1981.

Not record breaking but certainly notable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

SW Ireland doing well today. Lots of sunshine and 18c in Cork.