Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

There were signs on yesterday's 12z that background signals may be showing as we saw the flow slow down. Mainly on the GFS and today's 0z and 06z run with that theme. A watching brief to see if this is what is likely, and if it is, how will it develop?

Nice to see though, D8-14:

animqof5.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Good Morning 

It seems like I'm joining at the right time. The GFS operational is great up to day 13. The EPSs this morning have improved a bit, but it is still just the operational. I would like to see the ensemble in line with what the operational is showing. Across model agreement untill day 10, which is nice. Maybe the background drivers are (finally) delivering in the charts.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

My thinking is starting to shift from "not much chance of notable cold" to "a possibility of notable cold". I'm still not convinced that we're going to see sustained high latitude blocking despite the current momentum surge from the tropics in the form of a very strong +MT event. 

Whilst the MJO is not to be taken into isolation, phase 7 is more supportive of Atlantic ridging (indeed, NWP modelling has started to signal this more strongly in recent runs) rather than Greenland or Scandinavian blocking. 

A colder spell of weather, at least relative to what we have at the moment seems likely post 7/8th February but prolonged deep cold with widespread snowfall risks continues to be a lower likelihood to me. Another dry northerly before the high topples? Potentially. 

Saying that - We don't necessarily need mega blocking to produce snowfall at this time of year so even a relatively mediocre could bring about snowfall.

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 8

Posted

Morning all,GFS 6z bringing the colder period into the 9/10 day  still lots to get resolved but promising is the word High pressure to the northwest looks the form horse at present along with a very cold northerly as the the met office extended hinted who has gone  from easterly/northeasterly to northerly all a good direction in my eyes for cold lovers with a chance of the white stuff.

• Like 3

Posted

The Control joining the operational to some extent. All depends on the developments of the shortwave near the eastcoast of the US/Canada. In the operational the WAA was much better, but still there is perspective in the Control at day 10. 

GFSC00EU06_240_1.png

• Like 2

Posted

I am wondering how much of this trend we are seeing for a mid Atlantic High, possibly switching to a brief GH is due to the brief SSW we had recently. Has that done just enough to mess up what looked like an endless Iberian high? The GEFS and OP runs are both holding lots of hope for some activity from 10 days time as others have said, and that really is the last window for some proper lasting winter weather, short of a BFTE. For the movement I am going to enjoy the sun and warmth though. 

IMG_2183.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

@Anthony Burden   Thats a real shame they've dropped the Easterly wording for most of the country much less chance of snow for places that haven't seen any. I've a friend in Aberdeen who was fed up of the snow I was wishing it down here but it didn't work lol sods law it goes to where its not wanted. If that's the case that the Met are only seeing dry Northerlies for most of us, so be it I'm still hopeful as late winter early Spring we do always seem to have them much more commonly and what with all the background signals AO and NAO going negative. Fading + IOD El Nino winter im sure we will see something crop up. I can't remember the last time we had snow in January possibly 2013, February was much more recent

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

@northwestsnow Problem is mate it's the 6z!...doesn't verify well and to be fair I don't take much notice full stop of the GFS in FI, maybe some trends.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

@feb1991blizzard The MJO has been modelled to cave into the COD for what seems like ages.  But each day’s actual data verifies at higher amplitude than modelled just the day before, it seems.  I think there does have to be a chance that it will sail through 7 at similar amplitude to currently.  But you wouldn’t bet the house on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Didn't Anyone post the fact that the GFS operational is an outlier? At least for here it is. Trendsetter would be nice. Nevertheless it seems like bit by bit the EPS improved for the second week of February. 

gfs-leeuwarden-knmi-nl-5.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 26/01/2024 at 11:45, RainAllNight said:

0z deterministic runs, Fri 26th to Fri 2nd

GEM continues its streak of maverick runs, this time sending some of the high pressure west into the Atlantic. On all the other models it's looking mostly settled down south, apart from possibly Monday/Tuesday. Would be interested to hear comments from anyone more knowledgeable about sunshine prospects?

animanx4.gifanimief3.gifanimscd2.gif

0z ensemble means, Fri 26th to Fri 9th

GEM wants to offer us some interest from the northwest around 3rd/4th Feb, but its two bigger brothers are not keen.

animlnu9.gifanimcjn5.gifanimhfa6.gif

0z/6z deterministic runs, Sat 27th to Sat 3rd

This doesn't look like it will manage to be an uninterrupted dry period for all of us, with disturbances running over various parts on Monday and perhaps again on Wednesday (UKMO is most aggressive with that).

animsrh6.gifanimmef5.gifanimmtj4.gifanimnpf6.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Sat 27th to Sat 10th

Some obvious interest emerging to the northwest from around 3rd Feb (beginning just after the T+168h frame of the op runs that I've presented above), peaking around 6th/7th. A week later and the signal has faded but it isn't gone completely, which at that range should be enough to sustain our interest.

animcwo0.gifanimhuv0.gifanimomj3.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

6z GEFS shows the Atlantic jet stream splitting around the sinking high pressure at day 10, as it dives southeast through the UK and Ireland into Europe to define the southern flank of the developing Scandinavian trough. 

IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.d374558964450d54e3d4a65ef780d0c5.jpeg

The setup is an enduring one - the day 14 heights and anomalies shows a maintained northwest-southeast alignment of the heights contours through Western Europe, the area sandwiched between low heights to the northeast, part of a broad trough extending south into Central Europe, and positive heights to the northwest, extending up into southern Greenland. 

IMG_0953.thumb.jpeg.afa0861c3ec7133d74dfd8bae6a2a4f3.jpeg

It’s looking like a mean northwesterly flow and fairly cold by that stage, with the 552 dam line running through the far southwest. This is a very sound basis from which to move forward to the 12z’s. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Wouldn't be surprised seeing a bit of flooding and potential rainfall warnings particularly for parts of Wales most likely Northwest and into Northwest England into Tuesday with increasingly heavy precip running along the boundary of colder and milder temperatures.

gfs-ens-apcpn24-eu-8.pnggfs-ens-apcpn24-eu-9.png

gfs-apcpn24-eu-7.pnggfs-apcpn24-eu-9.png

gfs-apcpn24-eu-10.pnggem-ens-apcpn24-eu-9.png

icon-apcpn-eu-fh54-81.gif

gem-ens-T850a-eu-13.pnggfs-ens-T850a-eu-12.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

12z GFS is looking different, less annoying lows in the Atlantic and more robust Canadian highs, better lows to our south but the PV is further east

Edited by Jacob