Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

@Tamara

Another great post but would it be more accurate to use +VE MT rather than describing just the EAMT given the NAMT strength, rather than EAMT each time, I'm guilty of using EAMT to describe it each time and whilst that is the strongest and typically is, wouldn't it also be a synoptic scale change from the +VE NAMT as well to consider so more accurate language to be more general?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Another great post but would it be more accurate to use +VE MT rather than describing just the EAMT given the NAMT strength, rather than EAMT each time, I'm guilty of using EAMT to describe it each time and whilst that is the strongest and typically is, wouldn't it also be a synoptic scale change from the +VE NAMT as well to consider so more accurate language to be more general?

A good question as I butt in here....but EAMT establishes the strength and direction of the Pacific Jet, and the Pacific Jet is all important when looking at wave patterns across the NA continent, far more than any impact off the Rockies. I would say that NAMT is significant when looking at warming of the stratosphere from the Canadian side. We have seen a lot of this through the current winter, and it is no coincidence the Aleutian Low has dominated as a feature, driving this torque. But I dont see that as impacting as much on the jet and jet angle across the atlantic as the much more significant Pacific Jet which gathers so much energy when Tibetan torque is engaged.

EAMT therefore the most important....?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers
1 hour ago, Mcconnor8 said:

@Dennis image.thumb.png.0b58aa116aa0e669601895063b7c20b0.pngimage.thumb.png.a04ebca08b1743e402afa76e6e4ba7c3.png

Yes the Control has a blizzard in the South East lol, at least we are starting to see promising charts in FI so there is some hope now.

I doubt this will verify but that would be the dream lol, near a foot with blizzard of snow in my location lol

• Like 1

Posted

@Jacob sure me doubt it too , as in this outcome on a snow situation, but i try to reasearch and mixing diff parameters on  how an new wintersituation can seen back on the charts

image.thumb.png.3161c06f94610eed274ed72627cc70e8.png

Have fun 

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.png.371421dcdbc40898246c47f066c38e10.png
06z as per post this morning of a pattern change, some sort of change on its way from the 05th onwards. Control goes off on one but what is interesting is some members are toying with going just under the 30 year mean. A Greenland high quite possibly and a big one at that 

Edited by Nick2373
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I mean it's a trend I quite like. 

regimes_wri_20240125.thumb.png.5dcce5d4e091467f8e5d3ece35400c9b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

At last, something to chase, I’m sure it’s been posted. 

IMG_1232.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

As mentioned in my post here 

"With the above we can see some of the important 500hpa setups developing into our current timeframe and into week 4 of January (and beyond)

Low pressures from Greenland and into the Arctic

High pressure forming across the Maritimes. A secondary high toward the Northwest of the US and Canada which links with PNA behaviour more on that shortly.

Formation of cut off low(s) in that southwestern America > Mexico regions which also will lead into PNA behaviour.'

'Following on from this as the preceeding MJO phases input begins to feed into the setups from week 4 of Jan onward the above remains true with further developments.

Looks like this initial cut off low will develop into a +PNA during the very end of Jan"

As the positive PNA feedback progresses eastward pairing with the MJO patterns I've covered in depth, a +PNA does have a tendency of being supportive for Atlantic ridging / blocking which moves in the direction of Greenland and in connection to a trough further east ie Scandinavia, Baltic regions which gives a doorway for something cooler > colder from the north.

pna-gefs-sprd2-11.pngimages.png

gem-ens-z500a-nhem-14.pnggem-ens-z500a-nhem-15.png

pna-20cr.gifgem-ens-z500a-nhem-32.png

gem-ens-z500a-nhem-35.png gem-ens-z500a-nhem-37-1.png

gfs-z500a-npac-36.png20231220-153125.jpg

naefsnh-2-1-228-8.pngnaefsnh-2-1-216-2.png

naefsnh-2-1-192-10.png naefsnh-2-1-240-5.png

Though I'm not putting a massive amount of emphasis into exact timeframes from my POV ATM it's looking favoured for this by approx February 4th / 5th and starting to see a possible redux around 1 week later ie 11th / 12th February.

gem-ens-T850a-nhem-38.png

gem-ens-z500a-nhem-65-10.png  gensnh-21-5-384-10.png

naefsnh-2-1-372-8.pngScreenshot-20240123-040911-Samsung-Notes

gem-ens-z500a-nhem-fh-72-384-2.gif

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

Posted

Exeter now talking mid month for a change to something more settled / colder..

I guess this means we need to be looking at beyond day 10 from a NWP perspective...

All eyes on EPS / EC46 later ..

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Coming back on this one. The probability of the unexpected. A genuinely relevant and interesting question in itself. Some will groan and grind their teeth at the tendency for anything that can derail a cold pattern from coming to pass almost routinely. How many times do we read curses around "short waves" messing up the pattern, for example?! I dunno. Some of this is micro stuff, and when we get to the micro analysis of tiny shifts of 50 miles or low pressure waves popping up - I begin to glaze over. We don't have the computing power yet to be able to forecast these with any accuracy and I think they are beyond the wit of the human brain to be able to interpret from an analytical perspective. So the unexpected micro development will be a thorn in our side, and a thorn that arrives on the scene frequently, until resolution and computer modelling gets better.

Agreed, will it ever be possible to model these small scale features at more than a handful of days? There will always be an error in the initial state, whether it’s instrument error, lack of coverage in certain parts of the atmosphere, topology or the like and that’s before any physics assumptions are made. Due to the chaotic nature of meteorology, there is often not a ‘steady state solution’ & errors grow, irrespective of how fine the resolution or accurate the dynamical equations are. Rubbish in, rubbish out……..so I think NWP will always struggle beyond a few days.

On a slightly different tack - the (off-the-) scale of EAMT anomaly highlighted in Tamara’s post is really something - must surely have an impact in due course….?

• Like 2