Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

So, what is the case with GFS? There are a lot of members that put a large part of the Vortex to move into Scandinavia/West Russia. But there are still some flat ones as well with a zonal flow. Then there are some interesting members with wintry or possibly wintry synoptics later on. A part of them showing ATR. there is still a lot of work to do, but it's a start. 

GFSP26EU06_240_1.png

GFSP25EU06_240_1.png

GFSP19EU06_240_1.png

GFSP14EU06_240_1.png

GFSP13EU06_240_1.png

GFSP12EU06_240_1.png

GFSP10EU06_240_1.png

GFSP09EU06_240_1.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 7

Posted
34 minutes ago, AO- said:

Vortex to move into Scandinavia/West Russia. But their are still some flat ones as well with a zonal flow. Then there are some interesting members with wintry or possibly wintry synoptics later

Part 12 yes please!

• Like 1

Posted

@Dennis

It looks like the MJO sticks around in phase 7 for a while. Could be promising. At least Scandinavia is getting back cold(er) soon. Hope the wintry options gain traction. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
16 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

12z deterministic runs, Thu 25th to Wed 31st

In the last few frames here, we see that westward shift of the heights to the south that has been showing on the ensemble means for the past few days. Down south, we seem to be able to make a dry stretch last from Friday PM until Monday-ish. UKMO manages to get some modest high pressure to the north by the end of its run.

animupn9.gifanimcpc6.gifanimcji6.gif

12z ensemble means, Thu 1st to Wed 7th

ECM seems especially confident about the PV paying a visit to northeast Europe on the weekend after next, but it is equally bullish about high pressure remaining strong to our south, hopefully at least meaning that we continue to get some decent stretches of dry weather further south.

animbxe7.gifanimnvs9.gifanimcxk4.gif

0z deterministic runs, Thu 25th to Thu 1st

The end of the GEM is quite different to the others, with the low that forms over the Atlantic on Sunday flying upwards and kicking up a little high over Norway and Sweden.

animecj1.gifanimrpi1.gifanimjkf0.gif

0z ensemble means, Thu 1st to Thu 8th

We almost see some interest around days 10-12 (Sun 4th & Mon 5th) on the ECM, perhaps a hint that a brief ridge could build in from the west, after the PV clears back out of northeast Europe. It doesn't show so much on the other two models.

animhmy6.gifanimnza1.gifanimvjg0.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

The Strat profile has been very much in tandem with the trop profile all winter!

With a strong vortex that would be a bad thing.  But despite a very weak vortex, it has even so managed to thwart us at every turn.  Maybe our luck about to change?

As per dennis’ post above, the profile upcoming is surely not a bad thing even if the flow is stronger with a deeper centre and lack of strat ridges 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 24/01/2024 at 12:48, Eagle Eye said:

Whereas a wetter than normal eastern Maritime and western Pacific that has been characterised poorly by the GFS(/most models but GFS most) so far. Theoretically leading to a larger response in phase 7.

Looking at the ECM which probably has a better convective envelope characterisation, has it being active into phase 7 before potentially moving towards COD by phase 8. However, will the convective envelope response to falling IOD into phase 8 be favourable or is that another dry phase response. I couldn't really tell you for now because it's still a dynamical evolution, not a perfect composite response as with pretty much anything. Perhaps things looking a little better on the NWP and the teleconnections. 

EMON.thumb.png.97ad8f603c15b81b25eeb4cb8daa7c65.png

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
21 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Looking at the ECM which probably has a better convective envelope characterisation, has it being active into phase 7 before potentially moving towards COD by phase 8. However, will the convective envelope response to falling IOD into phase 8 be favourable or is that another dry phase response. I couldn't really tell you for now because it's still a dynamical evolution, not a perfect composite response as with pretty much anything. Perhaps things looking a little better on the NWP and the teleconnections. 

EMON.thumb.png.97ad8f603c15b81b25eeb4cb8daa7c65.png

Not only in this instance, but anytime when using EC Extended Wheeler-Hendon MJO diagrams, I think it's important to be aware of what ECMWF says about them:

"Note also that by construction, the amplitude of the forecast ensemble mean MJO on this diagram (as shown by black triangles) will tend to reduce, on average, at longer lead-times." (ECMWF Forecast User Guide, Section 8.2.6)

So, when looking at the diagram at longer lead times, it probably tells us more about the direction and speed than about the amplitude.

I don't know if the same caveat applies to the back end of Medium Range MJO output, or to GFS/GEFS output, I can't find anything on that, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Posted

@Eagle Eye this is the analysis of the 24th. Dennis had posted the one from the 25th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

"Note also that by construction, the amplitude of the forecast ensemble mean MJO on this diagram (as shown by black triangles) will tend to reduce, on average, at longer lead-times."

Yes however I suspect that that's the amplitude of both the suppressed (dry) and active (wetter) phases because of the mix in the ensembles. So it depends whether the phase 8 of a combined falling +VE IOD and El Nino is a suppressed or active phase. 

@AO- thank you, was wondering why today's wasn't showing up for me but anyway, still a similar strength and direction of travel. 

• Like 2

Posted

@Eagle Eye

I think I know what the case is. You have shown the extended whereas Dennis has shown the two week analysis. 

Edited by AO-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Bit late but these set of 6z ensembles don't look particularly pleasing from a cold perspective and to me show a reduction in colder members compared to recent runs

image.thumb.png.de0b7647e6dd884825fd9f81e52695b1.png

Big amount of scatter though yes. The period from around 3rd-6th February looks to have the most colder members, I suspect the majority of this is from some temporary NW type incursion (lacking any sort of blocking). Thankfully this above doesn't have any relevance to further longer range models mid-end of Feb which is still a good 3-4+ weeks away widely. 🙂

• Like 3

Posted

It’s a slow process to remove the limpet high or at least have it edging nw .

At least the MJO has finally left phase 5 , now into 6 and hopefully it keeps moving .

Its always frustrating seeing weeks of prime winter eaten up by some poor synoptics but we’ve had to endure this more often than not since I joined NW back in 2004 .

• Like 8

Posted

GFS day 10. A shot of Polar air, but not a long lasting one I guess. The vortex has moved towards the European side of the Atlantic, but CAA to the West leaves us in a Westerly flow. 

GFSOPEU12_240_1.png

Edited by AO-

Posted

@Battleground Snow

To be honest, when taking the WZ version, I like that chart. There is WAA to the West which might eventually lead to the Greenland block. 

(I prefer the presentation of WZ over meteociel) 

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

@nick sussex yes, there is always something isnt it? The change is being pushed back and back until the sun is so strong IT will have exeptional synoptics late February. Its just Been a slice of luck that we had a rather good spell of winter here in Slovakia since 8.1 but even that it has been pure luck that mild westerlies did not break through the Carpathian ARCH and we kept a quasi inversion cold with uppers of -2 suffient enough to bring 5cm of Snow Yesterday but even that has Been melting like crazy today under Sunny north westerly with -4 uppers. The highlight of this January Has probably occured Yesterday morning and quite shockingly I have to admit it has Been the best January here since 2018! Its that Bad how shocking the recent Januaries have been.

IMG_20240125_103559.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1