Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters from T192:

IMG_8609.thumb.png.7eb31506f76ee935e2b4cce9fa9e3a8e.pngIMG_8610.thumb.png.3d532c0c764c4c0d06704c5abbadc3f7.png

Not quite sure what to make of these this morning, I would imagine the clusters shown hide quite a lot of important variation, given what we’ve seen on recent runs.

The op is in cluster 1 in the earlier timeframe, which heads towards a -NAO, looks a bit wedgy in the extended (31 members).  Cluster 2 in both timeframes has the Scandi block regime, but not really evident from the charts shown, the key feature seems to be an upstream ridge.  

I think once we get the pattern change (assuming we do) we may be looking at chances for transient cold snaps rather than any prolonged cold spell, but that might work out OK for snow for some, still too much uncertainty so more runs needed…

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

blizzard81 The main cold push was deflectd North by the Iberian high.

What materialised was a colder than average week with high pressure to the South deflecting the convective, snowy easterlies away from the UK. It took an exceptional amount of northern blocking and background signalling to produce that due to the Iberian high.

The Iberian high will certainly be another issue in the next chance, leading to a high risk of a west based -NAO or a situation like January where the northern blocking is weakened and the main easterly flow pushed north. This time round the signal for northern blocking is a lot less so a repeat of January is way up there with the most unlikely scenarios at present.

Screenshot_20240131-081708_Gallery.jpg

• Like 6

I am perplexed by the lack of synoptic thinking here.

The cold easterly solution shown is very unlikely. A temporary easterly in Northern areas possible but the rate of cyclogenesis as the Iberian high stalls lows out to our West is very evident.

Model latency will not pick up on this effect until nearer the time.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Good Morning, 

The EC at least shows some consistency compared to yesterdays run: sliders with LMG (I don't know the English word 😅) over Denmark. The question atm is, if this is to verify, how far the Polar air will migrate South and it all depends on the shortwave the GFS deepens a lot over England between day 8-10. EC is less progressive, but comes with a deepening of that shortwave  at 240h. 

ECMOPEU00_240_1.thumb.png.0cf6660b0cf2bc5a9d59bf5ea7b7c184.png

The EPS is clear. I would say the cluster with a colder scenario after the 7th has increased in size. But still a long way to go. The amount of cold up north is at least promising. Hopefully it is not the story of this winter all over again. 

eps_pluim_tt_06280(9).thumb.png.d935710e2fe5ca126ebd7d80bba8b9a9.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

As I said last night ,no blocking in the places what matters  to get cold in the uk ,the ecm has nicely put up what would happen from day 10 to 11, in this mornings charts ,the Atlantic in full control ,sorry coldies but don't get sucked in about that there may be a very cold spell around the corner, because there is not 😣 Although ,day 10/11 charts are FI, the reliability of these charts become a little more accurate ,more or less when we have these kind of synoptics. ...😟

ecmt850.240-1.png

ecmt850-22.webp

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 3

Kasim Awan

Morning all,

Totally agree Kasim I think the Iberian heights have been a very big issue in the boring patter we have seen recently. I am not saying it’s just the Iberian heights that are to blame for the lack of cold there are other factors as well it’s a big jigsaw, but these heights I feel make up a good part of this. The models have been hinting a change to something fresher than what we have had in the past 2 weeks however there is great uncertainty still. I think with it being the first day of February tomorrow we are all going to be getting desperate for some kind of worthwhile change to rescue what is left of this season. The desperation is more for those who are still waiting to see the first flakes. I just hope we see some kind of trigger to really push these heights away from the south, without this I feel time is going to run out . 

THE SEARCH FOR OUR WINTER WONDERLAND IS ENTERING THE FINAL PHASE THE HUNT GOES ON

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
19 minutes ago, AO- said:

The EC at least shows some consistency compared to yesterdays run: sliders with LMG (I don't know the English word 😅) over Denmark. The question atm is, if this is to verify, how far the Polar air will migrate South and it all depends on the shortwave the GFS deepens a lot over England between day 8-10. EC is less progressive, but comes with a deepening of that shortwave  at 240h

But that chart would bring mild ,west or southwest winds from the Atlantic ,with the caveats of northern Britain getting anything wintry on the highest of ground....😨

• Like 2

Posted

ANYWEATHER

Proof of the fact that the shortwave deepens over England, but that the GFS is more progressive with the shortwave. 

This chart is proof of the very thin border between mild and cold air over Denmark: (LMG).

216h

ECMOPEU00_216_1.png

Edut: I wouldn't be surprised if the colder cluster in the EPS has the Polar air further South. Delicate situation.

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Big step back from cold this morning with little in the way of northern blocking in any of the output.

Any chance of cold is dependant on the movement and location of shortwave and wedges which is precarious to say the least.

Our big friend Barty sits around waiting for spring which IMO prevents any meaningful cold in the medium term, the persistence and intensity of the Iberian High is remarkable, I am in SE Spain at the moment and the landscape is bone dry and looks more like late August than late January, the nearby airport has recorded only 4.5mm of rain since mid November and the nationwide drought in Spain is now a major issue.

Until Uncle Barty gets bored and goes back home to North Africa Spain will stay dry and the UK remain snowless, chase the MJO if you like but the anomalous Iberian High is driving Europe's weather.

Andy

• Like 8

Posted

We seem to be stuck in the mud . No real progress to getting anything of interest to survive contact with the T168 timeframe .The GFS for so long the output that was more interested is now least interested .

The ECM op not as good as last night and the more interesting part of the output which is admittedly from a low base is marooned at post day 7 .

The UKMO is a little better this morning so a crumb  there.

The Arctic high tends to be a drama queen and the amount of forcing to edge the pattern further south is likely to chop and change but we really do need to see a strong trend now to put more forcing on the pattern .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

bluearmy

Not sure we’re a tough crowd. 

But if the first attempt fails then you’re relying on things go right even further out in terms of timeframe .

The UK doesn’t have a good track record there .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

northwestsnow

If anything the modelling has strengthened, yes i know flatliners can appear without blocking and they tend to be outlier solutions that are noise and get watered down nearer time, so i think we need to actually see a mean FI ridging N'wards chart for this thread to really catch light (there are tentative signs already), this isn't and never was a write off, plus your location's a stonker, the only problem for you is what pub to go to to watch the snow, the star had already gone before my time, Three Crowns or Austerlands Social?

• Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO and EC are on the road to cold

Agree. If you take p05 of GEM, which imo is similar to EC at day 9, you can see what may happen after day 10. 

GEMP05EU00_264_1.png

GEMP05EU00_312_1.png

GEMP05EU00_384_1.png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 2

Posted

nick sussex the majority need one of your analogies nick!

sometimes the macro is coming irrespective of the micro before hand 

my fear is we can’t advect deep enough cold into a very good pattern - in mid feb that maybe a frustrating scenario for southern half of the U.K. 

developments in the strat are a new element into the mix and you wouldn’t discount a repeat of the January scenario where upwelling split leads to excellent coupled strat trop profile before the upper strat decides to put humpty back together again  routed across the n altantic. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

A lot of GEFS develop that trough west of UK and stal IT long enough to throw a small wedge of.Euro high basically eroding All the cold air potentialy available, Once it clears east there is so little cold pooling available that  it even deters me to open a T850hPa graf as it would be quite tragic to see😃

gens_panelzru3.php.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The future is orange - yuk 🤢

Pretty much as mild as toast throughout 6z GFS with the odd cooler blip - if you're lucky!

GFSOPEU06_12_2.thumb.png.5abb971f21e16a01d3fdfd978e6e68f5.png GFSOPEU06_108_2.thumb.png.d6be1dec37153ff8b17327a2bac13cae.png  GFSOPEU06_222_2.thumb.png.d9026dbb234043aa8868cc897703e6d5.png  GFSOPEU06_366_2.thumb.png.84be27b582718ae6093e9bf7ac2586e3.png

• Like 4

Posted

Morning all,ECM the pick of the bunch at 240 hrs all be it open to change at that range the low pressure kept at a southerly track all due to the key to every door Greenland high pressure will it be the long awaited northerly that the Met office has been plugging which seems for ever or just another damp squib.

• Like 3