Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Was excited when saw GFS but Ecm and Ukmo saying no to Thursdays snow storm. Few more runs needed in that respect, netherless looks good for beyond 

Was it Thursday..I thought it was more Friday into the weekend..anyway ecm struggling here at 168..let's hope for some better last frames!look at the state of greenland..when are all these long range blocking signals going to start appearing!?ecm is really struggling without any decent blocking..the jet is trying it's hardest too push the cold further north..we just about get away with it..but a very average run so far up to day 8

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the GEFS 2m temps, we see the waypoints for where the weather for the south could go:

image.thumb.png.1190a613f6a8f3c073ca258b27fdf4df.png

On day 5, the majority keeps mild, with a cluster bringing the cold boundary further south. As this snow potential is a small window before HP takes a grip, then, to maximise the potential, the D5 change is vital. With GEM and EC going with the majority cluster then, we may have to rely on snow from the back edge of the low at D7-8 in the south. A cold building high/ridge to follow, D9+ for a while:

image.thumb.png.46ae98c28cb689f8cae672323b37d7f4.png

• Like 3

Posted

We all know what the ecm..is trying at day 10..but would it make it...seen it fail many times!the run its self not great,we don't really get to see them really cold uppers..Mainly the -6 region..I would love too see that low skirt through at days 7/8 with some decent blocking coming up behind it..but sadly that isn't the trend..at the moment we are relying on a Scandi trough and hoping it lands decent for us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

I said it before watch the high pressure south western Russia and very little cold pooling available. This is reflected now ať later stages of EC46d with only really Scandinavia below average. It only really benefits Alps and Higher elevation in Europe. How many times we were here in recent winters.

IMG_20240203_081033.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Not trending the right way, but everything is too far out, to be too overly concerned that the next cold spell is currently looking not particularly exciting at the moment. Hopefully things change for the better over the weekend. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Not trending the right way, but everything is too far out, to be too overly concerned that the next cold spell is currently looking not particularly exciting at the moment. Hopefully things change for the better over the weekend. 

It's all too marginal..wether it's with the 850's or the positioning of the low..but at least it does look like turning a whole lot colder late next week..and probably lasting into the following week!

Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GEFS starting to trend GEM ens ish towards end, everything falling into place.

• Like 6

Posted

jules216 Yep, nothing of interest in the models apart from crazy rogue GFS op runs. The first half of February has a chance to be record warm here in Central Europe. Temps around 10C even at night. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

I found this 

AC61A436-E92E-4519-9630-E0203CE6CBF9.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

I like the fact the models are showing very little in advance, how many times has this place been ramping with blizzards, minus 20s etc etc only for it all to fall to pieces time and time again, season after season.

According to the gospel ( Met Office ) Feb is going to be cold, snow chances are heightened and even possibilities of very cold - that's good enough for me.

Edited by Gizzy
  • Like 8

Posted

daz_4 Id say this mean is interesting, as are many ENS, and a SSW on the horizon again. Lots to play for.  

IMG_2872.png

And the UKMO at 168, that looks very good to me!! 

IMG_2873.png

Oh, and the ECM at 168 looks good. Lots to work out at the surface but certainly heading cold. 

IMG_2874.png

And those crazy op runs are less than a week away! 

IMG_2876.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Id say this mean is interesting, as are many ENS, and a SSW on the horizon again. Lots to play for.  

Not bad ali..but again we all know where the bulk of the cold would be,looking at that chart!

• Like 1

Posted

Ali1977 Sorry but I'm struggling to see what's good about this mean in second half of February, especially in current climate. SSW is not a positive for me this late in winter season. Even if it produces, unlike the first one, it will be spring.

• Like 2

Posted

The problem is at 168 ecm..there is no real source of cold air..we would have to rely on our own cold pooling..while the Atlantic freezes over!to me it has the low right over the uk..resulting in chilly and wet conditions..as been mentioned many times,we need it further southeast

Adding
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

There’s enough beyond T168 to T240 to keep us interested. There’s enough in the later gefs to keep us interested. There’s not enough agreement to be confident proper cold is coming. 

IMG_1290.png

IMG_1289.png

IMG_1288.png

IMG_1287.png

• Like 3