Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Speaking of SSW. The chart below from Dec 2009 brought a memorable day for here in Peterborough. One foot of lying snow, continous heavy snow showers, max temp -4C. Never expected such charts to be repeated one year later.

As far as i'm aware neither 2009 or 2010 had a prior SSW to these events. Infact many didn't see this coming except the Met O as I recall their LRF mentioning well below average temps, snowfall and many of us were puzzled as this wasn't appearing in the output at the time.

image.thumb.png.a51e46889e61e6045d291e260e9d4436.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Eagle Eye That was exactly my point and why I made it with the greatest of respect.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 2

Posted

Eagle Eye Certainly has but I continue to be very impressed with your knowledge and quality of posts. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Weatherman_93 If it were accompanied by blue skies and sunshine, I think more of us would be enamoured by the idea. Having said that, I've never had temperatures that high AND cloud/rain in Feb, so I think it'll be either/or in reality.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, TEITS said:

Being she made the wise move of leaving the UK I know her opinion is 100% based on science and 0% based on bias.

But if she made the move for a warmer climate then that would indicate Tamara does have a bias towards what the weather could be.

But I do value Tamara input and she has championed the clod weather this year which strengthens your point mate.

Edited by WINTRY WALES
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
4 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

But if she made the move for a warmer climate then that would indicate Tamara does have a bias towards what the weather could be.

I think the point being made is that Tamara doesn't live in the UK and therefore the weather the UK sees has absolutely no impact on her personally regardless of personal desires for particular weather types, given she's not in the country, that alone removes any bias and allows her to be completely objective & scientific when it comes to UK specific weather.

• Like 9

Posted

A concern about the SSW is... It could just lead to another March 2023 which nobody wants considering how dull February has already been!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

baddie March 2013, what a terrible month that was. Dublin airport mean an insane 3.1c for the month. April and May were cold too. Vile month that and one I am scared of seeing again. 

• Like 2

Posted

CFSv2 is very keen on higher than normal pressure to our north in March - one assumes it is reacting to the probable SSW, and perhaps reading too much into it.

glbz700MonInd1.thumb.gif.48a987f61af550b276baf83e2eac0cfa.gif

Taking even less notice than normal until the SSW happens and we see how the dice roll, but seeing hints of northern blocking into April and May doesn't fill me with hope, as a warmth-seeker.

glbz700MonInd2.thumb.gif.f9d67a5a602a42f3bd4f30bf61257ca2.gif  glbz700MonInd3.thumb.gif.fdd024e22026ca71649b78bff17991bc.gif

Certainly been an interesting winter synoptically, if it hasn't delivered what many on here desire.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Met4Cast to me it's simple, I don't chase probable triggers,  I just watch what is there and what evolves. No disappointment then if a ssw happens or doesn't, or on what the out come of one actually is, whether good or bad.

I remember point out last year we didn't need a SSW, and it would change the atmosphere if it happened, and boy did it just, lol. Haven't paid attention this year, but sounds like from your post, sames happened again.

• Like 3

Posted

baddie I'm not considering the SSW even one bit myself, as I believe the interest in that is related to snow, so for those that want that only discussed on here apologies. But as to the actual weather over the period, it's probable first half of March will not be settled overall in my view. The ECM weeklies will be dismissed of course in favour of SSW not being computed, and I'm not sure if that is the case. But they are not pointing to a major shift of an upper level trough in this region, with the general global view looking possibly stuck in my view, long wave pattern. Time for change in the forecast for sure. Perhaps mid month might be sudden catastrophic high spell 🤔 SCH

The ECMWF weeklies

image.thumb.png.6654b9dbe4ee3ae6f9420000ef8795a2.pngimage.thumb.png.38bfefeb6ab6325537c9bffa508151c1.png

The precipitation is looking wetter than average. We shall see though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Kirkcaldy Weather I'm not actually having a go at the forecasting method, just really explaining why i don't use it. What seen in advance eventshows in normal charts, regardless, however if something counter acts a singnal seen in advance, and expected co ditions don't show up, basically i avoid the nasty comments a lot of others get. What seems to not be understood is a long term forecast, is just that, and will not be 100% ever. So why people get annoyed when this does happen because of something else, I'll never understand.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Kirkcaldy Weather you’re right of course winter 2324 hasn’t been a bust for you a lot in Scotland for the rest of us down south it has been a bust I meant 20,23, 20,24 as for telly, connections less said about that the better it is

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Looks like 16.5C at Hereford is the max for today, unless there are any higher readings not on Netweather's tracker. Before my usual post later on, just a bit of a UKV forecast for tomorrow. As mentioned previously, it's been a while since I've seen lime green on these charts!

image.thumb.png.7631cdec8a5622553b8753f4c5a38896.png

In reality, these typically under-read by at least 1C for local maxima. I would expect a widespread 15C for most central and eastern areas, and an isolated 17-18C is very much possible. I think tomorrow will be the most widespread mild day of the year so far. Of course we did see 19.9C in January, but that was an exceptionally localised Foehn effect, so not really comparable. Unfortunately tomorrow will see a fair bit of wind and rain, so conditions may not be the most useable from that perspective.

Beyond that, the mild theme very much continues. Not quite as crazy as Thursday, but Friday, Saturday and Sunday will all be extremely mild, by day and night.

image.thumb.png.01759afb106e6ebfb2568cb25a4000c7.pngimage.thumb.png.b3683458646827df2d3d3665d113da32.pngimage.thumb.png.b9cf876fb3b3bda9840abbecdc8d4907.png  

image.thumb.png.a10d7c85cde91e280695e8238b556ca7.pngimage.thumb.png.dbea9e7e30d6f230538d3499b2f379cb.pngimage.thumb.png.efb5fddc7d225decd47a33210afd9967.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

image.thumb.png.ad15effef2f702685000a783202f6fea.png

Very uninspiring ECM at day 7, looks worse than the GFS and other models cold wise and the GFS 12z ensemble also seems to have downgraded somewhat 850s wise for the end of next week onwards albeit the OP and Control still look okay.

image.thumb.png.6ed5b50cc88549f35eebab44de4ad8e9.png

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

What’s the ecm up to here?

image.thumb.png.ea212e756d05f23d33f5a318cd394b2f.png
It has high pressure clinging on well into midweek next week. All other output pushes a trough through at this time. 

@Mcconnor8 I see your point mate but I would rather the ec op than other output, it maintains dry weather for longer for the vast majority, seems to avoid a nasty storm midweek, and still looks like it might end up chilly and blocked by the end of the run - especially if the Atlantic trough disrupts enough…

image.thumb.png.884950e03033a5a7d742e186826ba552.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

12z Gesf's 850s showing the lessening of the cold signal for the last week of Feb or so...

ens_image-2024-02-14T180710_670.thumb.png.a0430a66a6eb18d5d67b1a81c406483e.png

...although still represents a cooler than average period nothing exceptional...although op and control dipping later...

..the pressure shows the the op to be at lower end eg trough further south than the mean ...

gfs-welwyn-garden-city-g(50).thumb.jpeg.42a4a1b704842470f7f51718d516e2e5.jpeg

...mean more in line with the way ecm has been going...

...not very encouraging for the last chance saloon for cold...

...the anoms still showing an atlantic ridge towards end of the month..

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.thumb.png.bf125c266fa4e279b9fefad9df250b2a.png

...trough to the east and over north eastern Canada but what jumps out at you is the trough over the Aleuticians..bit of a monster and responsible for real cold over that area...

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_51.thumb.png.9fc031b2f52e1e2444dee19fc6ce726e.png

...the amount of above average temps over Europe and Eurasia is quite incredible by late February..

...the Tropical Tidbits animation of temp anomalies over the hemisphere really shows the problem with getting cold in from a uk point of view..

850s

0d6eaf49-9c84-4f2d-b625-c10dd9e6acdb.thumb.gif.8075dd114a943752a00303835cd21f70.gif

2m

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_fh0-300.thumb.gif.52991a4f7abaca544c56ab6aee54d0e2.gif

..the real cold is being shunted east over siberia and round to the Aleuticians and although the Atlantic ridge and trough over our part of the world is bringing sonewhat colder air it seems to be being watered down over time..

..the main takeaway though is just the amount of warmth in the atmosphere over our side of the hemisphere..very hard i think to get any meaningfull cold with this situation..and time fast running out...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The models at the moment remind you of when you first have a go on the decks, you post a chart with a PM -4c flow at 384  and go 'not bad, not bad - there might be a dusting on Ben Nevis or Scafell Pike', like when you mix a tune in and the pitch control is about -2 away from where it needs to be and go 'not bad', but really it sounds like feeding time at the zoo.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Yuck.. 

IMG_5205.thumb.png.2125441e0230e9e6ef7a3b89eec7cede.png

Absolutely no sign of anything of interest on the ECM det (or the GFS, really)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

KTtom

If i'm kidding myself like stated above, not bad, not bad, a ridge does get to within 1000 miles of where it needs to be.

image.thumb.png.4540c374a29897edb70719e7b42ae537.png

• Like 4