Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

About the only thing we can say is that there's an increasing signal for things to warm up a bit, possibly towards middle or end of next week. All it looks like delivering is slightly warmer rain though. The OP goes off on one with some cold, but it has very little backing.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e-2024-03-27T185600_435.thumb.png.c2e286df5bfd3711771f3442f868dd25.pnggfs-london-gb-515n-0e-2024-03-27T185531_107.thumb.png.c429a0805b5f319a5d7f847429f6cd17.pnggfs-london-gb-515n-0e-2024-03-27T185539_564.thumb.png.14eb96de580f8de0516b334fb36f732d.png

At this stage, I think we just need to wait to even see if a signal starts to appear. There's no even really the beginning of anything both warm and dry as far as I can tell, on pretty much any model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Womble I'd have thought a typical April would have an extended dry and settled spell at some point, it is the 2nd driest month of the year after all!

• Like 2

Posted

Looking on the bright side at least the SST anomaly is dropping. Hopefully a bit less moisture heading in our direction. 

natlssta.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Depends where you are I guess.

May and September are by far the driest months in these parts (NW England) in my experience.

• Like 1

Posted

And on it goes. The 12z ECM still shows no end in sight at day 10. About all you can say is maybe a signal for the Azores high to pick up a bit? But it'd have to ridge a long way north from its position at day 10 to do anything useful for us in terms of dry weather. We do flip to warm rain though at least, which I suppose I'll take, as at least it'll be a bit more pleasant in the breaks between showers.

image.thumb.png.35f64cf5dc9c0e8c501437eb6436813a.png image.thumb.png.1e6e1d7b355090c29b645bc5039d2f7f.png

Posted

Right, next straw-clutching attempt. Does the CFSv2 have any signal for drier and warmer weather at any point in the next four weeks? In a word - no. Wetter and colder than average for the first week, then wetter and milder than average, possibly quite warm especially in weeks 3 and 4. That's it, no dry weather in sight, because of course there isn't.

image.thumb.png.e0f7166fcde82977697b7f6334a9bd82.pngimage.thumb.png.0464d91e625f0f8f677401f346b5661b.png

image.thumb.png.440a5d4c7dea609e92a443ab56b11c08.pngimage.thumb.png.ce20ca6b4a3649c400d6dbe93e98477e.png

Not even going to bother posting the EC46 - I've already looked at it and it tells the same story. There's no point depressing everyone any more.

Right, that's a write off. On and on we go. At some point the pattern will change, but alas, not today or in the next 7-10 days most likely. Another few days of this and we scratch the first third of April for warm and dry weather, and then we go again.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

To put a little meat on the bones of some of the rather brief comments...

The deep LP dominates the weather over the Easter weekend sitting either over Ireland or just to the west so rain or showers for many, driest in the east.

After Easter, we then see the trough elongate and disrupt between heights from the north west coming south and heights trying to push north from the south.

The elongated trough sends a series of LP over southern Britain on a southerly tracking jet so more rain, not too cold though not that warm either. 

Any hints of something more settled are far too far out to be given much credence at this point. We need to see a break in the trough which would promote heights and that may come as a deeper trough stalls in far off mid Atlantic. Next week looks all about shallower features pushing through in the trough.

Edited by stodge
  • Like 3

Posted

Cheshire Freeze In the Lake District April on average is the driest month, its not a month renowned for being predominantly atlantic driven.. 

Alas the outlook remains very unsettled into April.

Trying to recall the last time we endured such a low pressure dominated period from the start of the year.. right into April. Typically a high pressure spell sets up some stage in the spring.. hold that hope..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Ahead of the main deep cyclone there is a developing cyclonic Centre from Northwest France as this continues to move into the UK with a Lowering isotherm on its Western & Northwestern flank there is potential for a snow event particularly across Wales, most of this likely at higher elevations though cannot be discounted at lower levels too.

gfs-asnow24-eu-fh24-54.gifgem-asnow24-eu-fh24-48.gif

animqcy4.gifanimrok4.gif

animsyw6.gifnmm-uk1-45-18-1.png

gfs-temp-adv-fgen-850-eu-fh6-18.gifgem-temp-adv-fgen-850-eu-fh6-18.gif

animiqh2.gif

This trend was evident on the ensembles last night, still damaging wind threat into the South Coast but a concerning trend with a main damaging wind risk centering into Southeast England so I'd think warnings will cover the South Coast as discussed but possibly higher category warning criteria for Southeast England Thursday

animixt2.gifnmm-uk1-52-36-1.png

gfs-mslp-uv850-eu-fh12-36.gifgem-ens-mslp-uv850-eu-fh12-42.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, WYorksWeather said:

About the only thing we can say is that there's an increasing signal for things to warm up a bit, possibly towards middle or end of next week. All it looks like delivering is slightly warmer rain though. The OP goes off on one with some cold, but it has very little backing.

Problem is warmer rain will probably mean damper, more moisture laden air than currently and a risk of really, really dull conditions and quite horrendous pervading damp.

It was unexpectedly cold today with unexpectedly dry air during the afternoon which made it much less unpleasant than the synoptics suggest. Any increase in temp and DP with the same synoptics will produce truly hellish conditions...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Some hope of something better on GFS 12z from around the 9th, when a ridge appears from out of nowhere and stays put until the end of the run. Seems to be an outlier though according to other posts.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Uncertainty said:

I’m not sure what weather enthusiast could get enthusiastic about that pattern. I realise some people like rain, especially after a dry period. But not after 10 months surely. Everything is just so damp. And boring.

I don't get why cyclonic SW-lies are persisting so deep into spring. What's happened to the normal blocking at this time of year, when some kind of N-ly or E-ly, or anticyclone, usually sets up?

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Womble Typical April weather for Tasmania or southern New Zealand, perhaps. Not here.

If very dull, very wet weather is normal for April, one of the driest months of the year, I hate to think what normal weather for the rest of the year is like!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Summer8906 Maybe if we end up having a really troughy March and April, we might have an anticyclonic September and October for a change in compensation (I know it doesn't work like that).

A few runs have hinted at heights trying to nose in towards the UK with hotter air sneaking into southern Spain by week 2 in April but I won't hold my breath. It's as if we are stuck in autumnal Atlantic rut now, but not quite with the same autumnal clout that pushes things along. Yuck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!

Apologies, off topic, but what the ****??? Currently snowing heavily in various parts of Devon! See attached, I'm just 25m above sea level, 500m away from the water. 

Further updates on the South/SWest forum... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yep. Huge flakes coming down in Braunton, north Devon. Beginning to settle on cars etc.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

If you thought the weather couldn't get any worse then look at this mornings GFS, after a brief lull on Easter Monday the though out rest moves back over the UK as a new area of low pressure heads towards England and Wales, this sits around for days before another even more intense low arrives in FI.

Meantime pressure builds stronyly to the North so the jet stream has nowhere to go except Western Europe.

Meanwhile The Azores Ridge extends into Iberia so after some welcome rain the drought returns to Spain, which is something they don't need.

When I watched last night as rain turned to heavy snow across South West England and Wales on a South Westerly airflow in late March I thought this is it, its the End of Days 😔 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The models showing no sign of an end to the unsettled regime that has gripped the country for what seems like months on end and as I type yet another band of heavy rain moves in from the south west.

Fortunately nature has a way of evening things out so one would hope that sometime soon the models start showing some promise of a prolonged spell of drier, warmer weather.🤞 This bad run has to end eventually. 

Cheers all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Even in the silly timeframe , Europe is very unsettled, 

IMG_0912.webp

IMG_0911.webp

• Like 3

Posted

ANYWEATHER Can just about make out the UK amongst the blue..

Will give firmer thoughts on Easter 4 day period later, it has chopped and changed somewhat, will we see at least one dry day?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

damianslaw I hope so 👍😊

Posted

John88B Nature also allows major flooding, huricanes, tnunamis, etc so I wouldn't put too much faith in that if I were you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Penrith Snow yes it is “end of days” scenario lately ain’t it 🤦‍♀️☹️

Let’s all chip in and live in the canaries and re establish there together as a community ☀️🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1