500mb

1st July 2023-29th February 2024

image.thumb.png.cdc2ffaf934d8cd56ed8e6d325915780.png

Compare with 1st July 1995-29th February 1996 which was highly blocked

image.thumb.png.3649231d5aa4599431091eadee647503.png

Precipitation rates

1st July 2023-29th February 2024

image.thumb.png.e2ea06125ee22e907509c32f17d33d89.png

Compare with 1st July 1995-29th February 1996, where hosepipe bans were being enforced

image.thumb.png.d4b3dd0696aeda7f63fdda8747381978.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

MP-R It has been better than February but has kind-of carried on regardless. According to HadUKP the EWP is at 20% of the monthly average after the first two days which so far represents a continuation of wetter than average conditions, following on from the third wettest consecutive 12 month period on record. It is no surprise people have had enough, being better than the worst does not make something good or even adequate.

Edited by al78
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

al78 Agree but that’s not what I said. March has felt normal so far regardless of what came before it.

Yes we’d all like high pressure for a few weeks but that’s not typical of March.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

MP-R High pressure for a few hours would be a start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

al78 It certainly would 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Another disgusting day in Essex with the usual grey skies & rain. One of few counties to not get a full sunny day lately- last one was January 26th. Ended up booking a few days in Tenerife next week after looking at the forecast.

The sun won't come to me so I have to pay money and go to the sun Myself!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 02/03/2024 at 10:29, In Absence of True Seasons said:

God knows what tourists have thought of it if they decided to visit London / UK this month. Nothing worse than trying to explore a city or traipse around the countryside in weather conditions like this. 

Hmmm.. 🤔 Not sure about that… I think London tourists might like a bit of rain. ☔️ They probably expect it, after all, it’s what Britian is famous for! 😆

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

The last 8 months have been like stereotypical British weather - very cloudy, very wet, with very brief warm/hot and sunny periods. Thank goodness this isn’t the norm and our weather isn’t always like this!

I agree it’s worrying, but then imagine how worried people must have been in the summer of 1976 when we had standpipes in the street in some areas. And we’ve had long periods of cloudy and wet weather before, for example April to December 2012 was exceptionally wet, more recently October 2019 to March 2020. The weather always makes up for itself. We will get a period of high pressure dominated weather at some point. The question is when?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

What I don't understand is why the weather pattern has changed. Normally the wet weather goes west - east across southern England, but for the last 12 months or so it has been going SW - NE. What starts off over the Channel Islands six hours later goes over my home in Southend. Does anyone know what's caused the change?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

East Lancs Rain indeed. Both those periods were shorter than this wet and dull period has been though. So it's starting to get a bit more worrying for me by this point as there's no sign of the pattern shifting in March. 

Oct 2019 to March 2020 was not so awful considering the spring that followed was probably the best of my entire lifetime from a sunshine and warmth perspective...just typical that it occured during the big C and we couldn't go on any trips with the good weather. 

Summer 2019 (in London anyway) was also pretty decent overall.

This spell however hasn't really really relented since July 2023, which was probably one of the worst summer months I've ever experienced. The only real reproves were the Sept heatwave, 4/5 days at the start of October, and then the cold, dry and sunny spell in Jan just gone. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunSean That's a wise decision...might have to do something similar myself. 

Not been to Tenerife myself...what's it like? Mainland Spain isn't generally too great weather-wise in March still. It can be quite hit and miss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Sentinel sounds pretty normal to me, nothing has changed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

*Stormforce~beka* mine too 😂 also had my roof leaking since November.  

All fun and games…. Oh I hear some nice dry and warm islands calling us from far away… somewhere nicer 😁

• Like 1

Posted

East Lancs Rain November 2015 - April 2016 was another, but we didnt really get much glorious weather to make up for it. Just a little bit in May followed by an awful June

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

We should all make a poll for when the first hosepipe ban will begin in 2024 or whether it will happen whilst we all endure this pathetic, laughable weather ☔😅  for a laugh 

Edited by Fen Wolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons No idea man, never been! Just saw the forecast was very good there so took a gamble. If the rain and grey follows me then I'll be jumping into Teide volcano. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

So far the reverse psychology appears to be working somewhat. A largely bright and sunny day here, albeit still feeling cold.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

WYorksWeather Still waiting for the sun in my area lol but hopefully I can bring it back with me fully after my short trip to Tenerife 🤞

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Soooo much rain!!! My patio is flooded!

You will need to replace your chickens with ducks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

WYorksWeather interesting how some Yorkshire folk are convinced the weather is better on that side of the Pennines. I have family in Yorkshire and my experience is that it's often cooler- especially in spring.

12.7C here today so far from cold.